View Full Version : E90 Desk - Can it be configured?

bigmikeymike
28-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I have just got my E90 and I have to say initial impressions are brilliant in comparison with several windows mobile devices I have owned.

However, back to the question in hand.

Is there some means of configuring what appears on the Desk (I think that is the term). Mine has icons for camera etc. but not for the things I would prefer to have on the desk-top.

Any help gratefully received.

Mike

tomsky
28-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi
The best place to start is with Steves tips:
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/tipse90.htm

Although I don't agree with all of them (I like my brightness just this side of invisible), tip number 10 is what you need:
The ones you love the most (1)
With the Nokia E90, there's S60's usual 'active' standby screen. Don't just take the shortcuts given, I'm sure you have ideas of your own as to your most used applications. You can change any of the six (or eight, with the clamshell open) shortcuts in the rather-hidden-away 'Tools | Settings | Phone | Standby mode | Active standby apps' (Phew, you really have to get to know the settings hierarchy on these devices!)

You can also configure the way your messages and emails are displayed by going to 'Tools | Settings | Phone | Standby mode | Active standby plugins', which may help you to get it to behave more like your old phone (I arrived from an N73, so I like having text messages pop up on the desktop as soon as they arrive)

Tom

macmon
30-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Hi
The best place to start is with Steves tips:
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/tipse90.htm

Although I don't agree with all of them (I like my brightness just this side of invisible), tip number 10 is what you need:

You can also configure the way your messages and emails are displayed by going to 'Tools | Settings | Phone | Standby mode | Active standby plugins', which may help you to get it to behave more like your old phone (I arrived from an N73, so I like having text messages pop up on the desktop as soon as they arrive)

Tom

As for my e90, it somehow has a different way of configuring it

Desktop> Tools>Settings>General>Personalization>Standby mode
Then you see the active standby apps or active standby plugins

When I was following the first instructions, I was surprised it was not there.

FYI for others.

tomsky
30-11-2007, 10:18 PM
As for my e90, it somehow has a different way of configuring it

You're absolutely right. It looks like Steve's got lazy and simply cut and paste from the E61 tips and tricks, and I've simply repeated this mis-information. I've got no excuse, either, since I've been playing with the E90 almost non-stop for the last week.

Tom

duarte.teixeira
13-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Tom

Hey! :)

Where are those "Active standby plugins" ??
I have a N73 and i can't find it on my menus. Is that only on E90 ??

Thanks in advance
Duarte

tomsky
15-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey! :)

Where are those "Active standby plugins" ??
I have a N73 and i can't find it on my menus. Is that only on E90 ??

Thanks in advance
Duarte

Unfortunately, they are not on the N73...
On the other hand, take heart from the fact that your camera button is not rubbish, your gallery is not ugly and you can rotate your pictures on the phone so that when you send an MMS, the recipient doesn't need to rotate their phone! And relax.

Tom

duarte.teixeira
15-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the answer Tom :icon14:

unsound
15-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Is it possible to use less icons ? In Clamshell mode you have 8 icons, but I only want 4 or 5...

4irm
21-05-2008, 03:12 PM
...no customization, no proper email client - welcome to the E90 (or the 3rd FP1) - the same limited software like other nokia phones starting from $150.

regards

Terry1100
21-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for but you can also re-arrange (move) the icons and create new desktop folders to put icons in. (options when at the desktop)

roboldham
22-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi folks

Anyone know how to configure the active desk plugin for upcoming appointments to show more than one item?!

If there's a busy diary it makes it next to useless!

R