View Full Version : Wlan

snuge
27-11-2007, 10:39 PM
my phone finds my wireless connection(virgin media ethernet, netgear adapter) it then asks me for my wep key. i hav a program called wep key thief but it doesnt seem to find it.is there any other way i can get my wep key?would virgin media tell me if i phoned up or is there a way i can get it myself. any advice is much appreciated. cheers

nervous1uk
28-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Is the WEP key not printed on a sticker somewhere on your wireless box?
I know BT & Orange both do

if not you should be able to find it by logging on to the control panel of your router via Internet explorer on your pc
Most netgear routers default address is 192.168.0.1
user name:- admin
Pass:- password or 1234

Biggzy
28-11-2007, 12:58 AM
my phone finds my wireless connection(virgin media ethernet, netgear adapter) it then asks me for my wep key. i hav a program called wep key thief but it doesnt seem to find it.is there any other way i can get my wep key?would virgin media tell me if i phoned up or is there a way i can get it myself. any advice is much appreciated. cheers

cant u just reset ur router? there shud be a lil button on the back u have to poke with a pin, mine has it (altho mine is a D-Link)

snuge
28-11-2007, 02:49 AM
im not sure i want to reset it as how do i set it back up?it was basically plug and play when i got it. i tried typing that ip into windows explorer but just got a lot of results in a google search?

i should also mention sometimes my phone finds it and sometimes it doesnt in the space of seconds and sometimes it comes up hidden wlan or something like that?

snuge
28-11-2007, 03:10 AM
had an idea. my set up is virgin media digital tv box with ethernet plugged in downstairs(netgear ma101) then a netgear ma101 usb adapter plugged in to pc upstairs. i dont think it will let me connect to it using anythin else other than pc. if i buy a router can i put that in somewhere between the tv box and my pc? ie do i remove the netgear adapter downstairs and fit the router?

riverboat
28-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi
my router is made by Belkin, i phoned them up and they telked me through setting up router and the wep key...which is now safely stored...

If i remember rightly i had to type an ip address directly in to my IE address bar...
think it was
192.168.2.1 (no www or anything else)
and this opened up a window of settings for my router.

If this doesn't work, i'm sure your router supplier can help

davecozens
28-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Go to the command prompt (from XP start-> run -> "cmd", from vista type "command" in the start menu search box.)

Type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and it'll give you a whole bunch of settings. One of them will be "default gateway" or something like that.

Type the IP address of the defautl gateway into IE.

Then try the login steps that Nervous1uk mentioned.

Hopefully that'll get you to the router config app...

snuge
28-11-2007, 08:02 AM
nope still not gettin it. ill need to get on the blower to richard branston and ask him what the deal is! is drivin me mad! what ever happened to simple dial up anyway

davecozens
28-11-2007, 08:14 AM
richard branston

Oooooh! He is a pickle!