View Full Version : Pull Email - difference between 'only in home netw' and 'enabled'

BanziBarn
16-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi :)

I'm a bit confused about what the difference is with these two retrieval settings. I've defined my home network as the default access point so what will the phone do differently when set on these two settings?

neilhoskins
16-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I think you just have to experiment a bit. I agree it's a bit unclear and muddled. If you configure it to an IMAP mailbox you can have 'push' email, but the settings still look as if it's 'pull', and it won't let you set 'automatic notification' and 'automatic retrieval' at the same time, although it does actually both retrieve and notify perfectly well.

kontraband
16-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi :)

I'm a bit confused about what the difference is with these two retrieval settings. I've defined my home network as the default access point so what will the phone do differently when set on these two settings?

only in home network means exactly that.. it will only work in your home network...

enabled allows it to roam onto all other networks when your out and about, so make sure you have data package or the likes.

dmcconachie
16-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I really wish they'd allow, "When in Home Network, otherwise..."

Ditto for web browsing!

kontraband
16-11-2007, 10:00 AM
I really wish they'd allow, "When in Home Network, otherwise..."

Ditto for web browsing!

well they kinda do... by using enabled it picks you home network first, and if thats not there it finds summat else...

or are you meaing you want home network first, work network second etc etc??

BanziBarn
16-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm taking home network to mean home WIFI network, not home GSM network - is that right?

I've set the phone to 'enabled' now and it's not pulled any emails (I'm at work away from my home network). I was thinking it might search for any available connection (wifi or GPRS/3G) but it hasn't.

Thing is, the only two options for connection is "always ask" or to define one specific access point. Therefore, I can't see how when you set email to 'enabled' it will just try every connection until it's successful - it should either try and connect and then pop up a box asking you to choose a conneciton, or just use the defined access point.

This being the case, then I still don't see the difference between the two settings :con? :)

dmcconachie
16-11-2007, 11:36 AM
well they kinda do... by using enabled it picks you home network first, and if thats not there it finds summat else...

or are you meaing you want home network first, work network second etc etc??

If I set my home network as the default it doesn't ask if it can't find it. It just times out! :con?

BanziBarn
16-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I chnaged my settings back to the home network one. A few mins later I got a message saying it can't find home network.

This is odd becuase I turned my router off last night and there was no message like this in the morning - it should be checking every 30 mins so I would have expected to see some failure warning like what I just saw.

rottie
16-11-2007, 12:08 PM
AFAIK home network has nothing to do with wifi connection. It's only about GPRS/3G connection.
If u'll set it to on it will only access the internet if u're using the network to which the simcard is assigned. This is to prevent accidental roaming charges.

BanziBarn
16-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Right, so assuming you're not roaming, both settings are the same, they simply connect using the access point you have previously set.

If the set access point is a WIFI network then again, both settings will be the same, even if abroad.

If you set your default access point to your GPRS network then when set to "home network" it will simply stop checking your email if you go abroad.