View Full Version : N95 8GB - GPS problems

chris3lx
13-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I have had my N95 8GB for a few days and love it. One problem I am havin however is that I am struggling to get the GPS to work correctly. I've only managed to see 2 satellites despite standing still in the wide open for over 5 mins. Because of this I have been unable to get a fix on Nokia Maps. Am I doing something seriously wrong? The keypad is open.

yade
13-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Are you using A-GPS? Mine always locks within 20 seconds inside or out.
My advice also, get some better software than maps. Navicore is my favourite by far!!

pa49
13-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Leave the phone for 30 mins to get a fix.
After that you should get subsequent fixes inabot 20secs as mentioned.

pureheart
14-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Buy an external gps device if you really want to navigate the one in the n95 or n95 8gb it's crap...

3Shirts
14-11-2007, 11:06 AM
It is not crap. Like pa49 says, leave it a long time the first run and try to do it somewhere open (like a field) away from tall buildings. Also, make sure the keypad is slid out as the GPS hardware is behind it.
I use the internal GPS all the time and get a fix from cold in 20-30 seconds with a-gps (even in central London). Also, try google's new native maps application which is much better than nokia's effort (no support for preloading maps though so only really good for unlimited data packages). Go to http://www.google.com/gmm on your phone.

pureheart
14-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I've used in many countries the gps, and yes it's crap i can get a fix in 20 seconds (thanks to the AGPS which you pay for...) but it's not reliable enough...it's not precise...if you try a real gps antenna you'll see the differences!!!

3Shirts
14-11-2007, 11:18 AM
AGPS which you pay for...

Not technically tue. You don't pay for a-gps, you pay for data transfer. It's an important distinction because if you have an unlimited, or large data allowance data on your tariff then agps doesn't cost anything.
I'd agree a stand alone GPS unit is better (a single device is always gonna be better at what it does than a convergent one) but the GPS on the N95 is by no means crap, it's accurate enough for navigation and would only really let you down if you were trying to use it to track down a particular spot, for treasure or something :)

pureheart
14-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Not technically tue. You don't pay for a-gps, you pay for data transfer. It's an important distinction because if you have an unlimited, or large data allowance data on your tariff then agps doesn't cost anything.
I'd agree a stand alone GPS unit is better (a single device is always gonna be better at what it does than a convergent one) but the GPS on the N95 is by no means crap, it's accurate enough for navigation and would only really let you down if you were trying to use it to track down a particular spot, for treasure or something :)
Yes of course you pay the connection for the A-GPS but not everyone wants to pay more for having something to work, that should be working already.
The A-GPS is clearly a solution to a bug.

3Shirts
14-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes of course you pay the connection for the A-GPS but not everyone wants to pay more for having something to work, that should be working already.

AGPS is optional though, you can turn it off if you don't want the data charges and normal GPS will work but take longer to get a lock. AGPS is not a fix anyway, it is a feature. No GPS unit I've ever used can get a fix as fast as AGPS can using satellite alone.

pureheart
14-11-2007, 12:36 PM
AGPS is optional though, you can turn it off if you don't want the data charges and normal GPS will work but take longer to get a lock. AGPS is not a fix anyway, it is a feature. No GPS unit I've ever used can get a fix as fast as AGPS can using satellite alone.
I'm sorry but you should try a good gps unit...try a Royaltek it takes 5-10 sec and it doens't lost the signal and it's totally precise...have you ever heard about the SiRF Star III GPS chipset???
You should have a better read

3Shirts
14-11-2007, 02:36 PM
have you ever heard about the SiRF Star III GPS chipset???
You should have a better read

I have used several SiRF III units and none of them have locked from cold in less than 20 seconds. The quoted cold start time for Realtek's flagship receiver is 35 seconds.
http://www.royaltek.com/index.php/index.php/content/view/79/58/

pureheart
14-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I have used several SiRF III units and none of them have locked from cold in less than 20 seconds. The quoted cold start time for Realtek's flagship receiver is 35 seconds.
http://www.royaltek.com/index.php/index.php/content/view/79/58/

Well if you have used several....you will recognize that the gps chipset of the n95 is not good enough...and it's not everything about the fix of the signal...it's not that the point, you can have maybe a quicker fix but then you don't have the precision, the navigation is really difficult...anyway if you think that the n95 gps is good, you are really optimistic.
This is not only my opinion but the one of many other users...

3Shirts
14-11-2007, 03:39 PM
As I said earlier, I appreciate that stand alone devices are better, my point is that the N95 is good enough for the purpose.
And having your opinions supported by 'many other users' doesn't make it right mate.

And, I know a fix is not everything, I was just undermining your credibility by proving your wrong about the Realtek cold start :)

pureheart
14-11-2007, 05:35 PM
As I said earlier, I appreciate that stand alone devices are better, my point is that the N95 is good enough for the purpose.
And having your opinions supported by 'many other users' doesn't make it right mate.

And, I know a fix is not everything, I was just undermining your credibility by proving your wrong about the Realtek cold start :)
Oh well I think you haven't use it enough to say it works good and it's not enough for the purpose, but this is my n95 probably your is better than mine and it never gives you the wrong position and it fixes enough satellites to calculate the correct position.
Probably you are a lucky guy!:)
And anyway it's Royaltek not Realtek (I don't want to undermine your credibility).

3Shirts
14-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Oh well I think you haven't use it enough to say it works good and it's not enough for the purpose,
I use my N95's GPS at least once a week and it is always fine for the job I am using it for.

but this is my n95 probably your is better than mine and it never gives you the wrong position and it fixes enough satellites to calculate the correct position.
Probably you are a lucky guy!:)

Sounds more like yours is faulty if it doesn't even get a fix or doesn't work reliably.

And anyway it's Royaltek not Realtek (I don't want to undermine your credibility).

You won't because that was just a typo but the link I posted is correct and contradicts your claims.

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere now so lets just leave it

chris3lx
14-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for your replies (and arguments!!!) I tried your advise regarding leaving in a wide open space for about 20mins, and it still didn't get a lock! When I looked at the satellite status it wasn't even locked onto 1 satellite. How bad is that? The phone was on top of my car roof, in a car park with very few if any obstructions. This is really doing my head in, could I have a fault GPS chip???

pureheart
14-11-2007, 08:34 PM
I use my N95's GPS at least once a week and it is always fine for the job I am using it for.

Sounds more like yours is faulty if it doesn't even get a fix or doesn't work reliably.

You won't because that was just a typo but the link I posted is correct and contradicts your claims.

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere now so lets just leave it

You are not contraddicting my claim at all because the link that you posted contains the medium time to get a fix and mine usually takes 5-10 sec, you can leave it.
My n95 is not faulty it works perfectly, it's just not good enough.
If you are happy with the navigation of your n95 good for you, but chris3lx needs to have another opinion, and I think it's crap after testing it a lot and not only in england...
Anyway chris3lx you should get a fix in 20 minutes...was it a cloudy day when you tried?
Have you loaded a map before trying to get the fix?

chris3lx
14-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Not particularly cloudy, not that that should make a difference. I panned around Nokia Maps manually and zoomed into approx where I was so the map was fully loaded yes. I have not downloaded and installed any maps onto my phone though if that was what you were asking.

pureheart
15-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Not particularly cloudy, not that that should make a difference.
chris3lx yes it will make a difference when it's cloudy.
Have you checked if the A-GPS is enabled?
I don't know on the n95 8gb but on my you can find the A-GPS setting in
settings -> general -> Positioning -> Positioning Methods now tick "Assisted GPS".
Be carefull because you will pay for the connection of the a-gps (how much dipends of course from your tariff...).
is it your a vodafone branded?

barrybethel
18-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I am also having a few problems with a new n95 8gb. It's through Vodafone, and has a data plan.
Assisted GPS is ticked - under Settings -> General -> Positioning.

How can I be sure its using Assisted GPS?

It finds a few satellites, but I cannot see the triangulation of assisted GPS aiding it at all.

bartmanekul
18-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Be aware that you need both internal GPS and internal GPS with AGPS support ticked, not just one.

barrybethel
18-12-2007, 05:09 PM
It has

Assisted GPS
Integrated GPS
Network based

all checked

dchky
19-12-2007, 02:28 AM

You need to take a few lessons in GPS. A-GPS is not a solution to a bug, there is no bug, it's an enhancement that allows faster position fixes from a cold start.

Think of it this way, you park your car in a huge car park with multiple floors and promptly forget exactly where. This is quite normal behavior. You know it's in the car park, somewhere, and that's good enough. Finding it gain. You have two choices, you can wander around and search, or ask your wife who knows precisely where it is, including a 10 year historical database of every argument you've ever had, but I digress.

A-GPS is akin to the nagging wife. It sends ephemeris information to the GPS, the GPS then only needs to obtain the satellite ID's and almanac info, then calculate a position. Without A-GPS, ephemeris info has to be obtained from the satellites, it's a very slow transmission. There are a multitude of issues that will cause reception errors, so the GPS has no choice but to wait for the next cycle and try again. This can be time consuming.

Ephemeris is usually good for about 4 hours or so, after that you'll get larger and larger position errors, though some manufacturers don't mind this and will present the user with a relatively fast position regardless.

Some receivers have better SNR's, better antenna design, more sensitive components etc, though in the greater scheme, these don't make the satellites send their data any faster at all, there will always be a minimum time to download the info needed to generate an initial fix from a cold start, even the best GPS will take around 20 or 30 seconds.

The N95 is as good as any other consumer GPS on the market with a small exception, the antenna design is not really so great.

So, A-GPS is a good thing, I wish most all of my other units had a similar feature. From cold start, the vast majority of units will take roughly the same amount of time to get a fix in open spaces, give or take 20 seconds. (Some exceptions exist, a few are just utter crap, the N95 is not one of them)

barrybethel
19-12-2007, 09:45 AM
I tried Sports Tracker and that finds the position very quickly within 30secs (in London as well).

So I'm guessing that its my Nokia Maps that maybe isnt working correctly. Going to remove it and install again.

chezqui
26-07-2008, 04:14 PM
dchky That is great info, I understand more now.

So will my service provider be charging me for the A-GPS info?

freddy.nike
13-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm having a problem with my Nokia N95 8GB GPS system ... It finds the position and I've downloaded the maps from Nokia map and I have 180 days of subscription ... when I go to "Options/Use this place/Navigate to" it doesn't navigate to any route, and when I enter the information into the "Route from" and "Route to" and click on "Options/Show route", it says "No route found"!!!!!!!!!
What could be the problem?? ... Please HELP .... :'(