View Full Version : n95 8gb firmware on n95 standard

craig law
09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
has anyone tried to put the n95 8gb firmware onto the standard n95 and if so what were the results. If no-one has done this what do you guys think? would it work? and more importantly would there be any benifit?

3Shirts
09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I can't imagine there being any benefit cos any firmware for the 8gb will be developed in tandem with the regular N95 so won't have many features different. There is also the probable risk that it won't work since the 8gb has more ram and probably addresses the hardware differently

Mithent
09-11-2007, 05:10 PM
The N95 8GB has Demand Paging, which would be very nice on the N95-1. But I wouldn't try installing the N95 8GB firmware, no; I'm not sure if the differing amount of RAM would actually be an issue as it probably just finds how much RAM is available on boot rather than it being a hard-coded value, but you could problems with the microSD slot (although the interface may be the same at the OS level). The lens cover might not activate the camera, too. All the other core electronics are the same as far as I know.

Most likely, though, NSU won't let you update? I would have thought that it would check the actual product identity as well as the code?

Super Chimp
09-11-2007, 05:54 PM
The next firmware version for the N95 which will be with us soon should have demand paging as a feature apparently.

justnew
09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
has anyone tried to put the n95 8gb firmware onto the standard n95 and if so what were the results. If no-one has done this what do you guys think? would it work? and more importantly would there be any benifit?
Let's assume I want to install it on N95-1 (which I will not for sure) how can you do that ??? the software updater check your phone brand and download the FW for your mobile type, am I wrong ?!!!

nudda
09-11-2007, 11:10 PM
The next firmware version for the N95 which will be with us soon should have demand paging as a feature apparently.

any sources for that cos ive heard plenty of stuff "in the air" and its still up there.