View Full Version : Free software for my E90

SwitchBlade
01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Right what's about that's worth getting? I've got Mobipocket, tried getting scummVM but it wouldn't install. Just says "Certificate error. contact supplier". Not gonna bother with Oggplay as I barely used it on my 9500.

Can I get Megadrive/SNES/Gameboy emus for the E90 for free, or are there only pay-for versions?

matchstick
01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I can't remember if it's what causes the Certificate Error problem but have you turned off Software Installation security check ?

Go into Application Manager (its in your default installation folder), call up the Options menu, select Settings and set the Software Installation option to All

Give that a try and see if it works (and it's a good idea if you planning to install 3rd party software anyway)

SwitchBlade
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Why, oh why, oh why, do they feel the need to put silly restrictions like that on things. It's not big or clever.

juwlz
01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I haven't managed to get OggPlay to work on my E90 anyway - it's one of the exceptions to the "most S60 3rd edition software should work" rule.

Steve and some of the others have written a lot of useful articles on getting the best from S60 and the E90 in particular. Go to the feature menu at the top of the page and find the How To section. Set aside an afternoon and wade through the lot! Well, the ones for S60 3rd edition devices anyway - the UIQ and S60 2nd edition (i.e. older) ones probably won't help much ;-). Even the ones that don't directly apply to you or the E90 may include some useful snippets of info.

Also have a look at articles on his own website, e.g. http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/tipse90.htm for tips on the E90 and http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/nonagss603.htm for free software.

Have fun

Julie

juwlz
01-11-2007, 01:41 PM
For what it's worth, here's (most of?) the additional software that I have installed on my E90:

Projekt (Outliner, ToDo, Notes, etc.)
JABPlite (free, Java, personal finance)
Wellness Diary (from Nokia Beta Labs)
GooSync (for synchonisation with my Google calendar)
Handy Calendar (which I got free for Beta testing)
Handy Tools (which I won at the 2006 AAS Pub meet)
Papyrus (my Calendar UI of choice before Handy Calendar)
Calcium (free calculator with clean easy to use UI)
Best Profiles (really useful profile and theme switcher)
NSysInfo (free tool for taking a closer look at what's going on in your phone)
Screensnap (free screen dump that has hot keys that actually work with the E90)
Remind Me (don't let me forget that somebody phoned / texted me and I haven't looked at them yet)
Autolock (free - locks the keyboard after a timeout WHATEVER state the phone is in - the built-in one won't lock if you'd already accidentally started entering a phone number, for instance)
PhoNetInfo (free - another look behind the scenes)
Device Status (free, from Nokia - yet another look behind the scenes, with a PC component if you want it)
Nokia Maps (free for just maps and routes; subscription for turn-by-turn navigation. Aka Smart2Go)
TomTom navigator (needs external GPS receiver)
Podcasting app (free)
Mobireader (free)
QReader (free, but certificate has expired, so you need to set your phone's date to a year ago before installing, and then back to today)
Opera Mini (java web browser)
SyncSMB (file server so I can access the phone's files over my home network)
WorldMate (available via Downloads!)
Sensible Sudoku2
A selection of downloaded profiles. Some work well, others got uninstalled again ;-)
Google Mail
Y-Browser (free file browser)

Julie

matchstick
01-11-2007, 02:21 PM
To that list I'd personally add

Y-Task (free set of tools for examining the status of task & programs and great for killing anything that refuses to otherwise die)
Conversation (free from Nokia beta - threaded SMS reader)
Google Maps (free Native S60 google maps client now with GPS support)
View Ranger (commercial GPS mapping software using Ordnance Survey maps)
Navicore (commerical SatNav software but unlike TomTom supports the internal GPS and has free traffic and speed camera updates - which I've finally got working with the E90)
Truphone (free VoIP client offering free calls to a whole bunch of destinations include UK & US landlines till at least the end of the year)
Fring (free IM and VoIP client including support for skype)
putty (open source SSH client)
Profimail (commercial mail client)

Liquid_Li0n
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
What about something like I had on a previous phone, divx mobile
Or what is an other alternative to use the E90 as movieplayer to pass the time

3ala2
10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Dear Members.

please help me in finding my applications in my E90

i installed 2 applications and when i go to the main Desk or the installation folder they are not there.. :con? :con?

please if anyone knows how to find them.. i will be glad to hear from you..

thank you guys..

juwlz
10-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi

Take a look at this (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66388) thread - it's asking the same question.

Julie

shahrin.hilmy
18-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Hello.

When i try to install the Apps, it says to me : " Expired Certificate "

What do i do? I have change the Software Installation Option in the Application Manager to 'All' but the same message still appears.

Please help me. Thank you very much.

SwitchBlade
18-11-2007, 10:45 AM
The certificates are only valid for a year, so you have to change your clock back a year.

juwlz
18-11-2007, 10:49 PM
... and then change back to the current date once you've installed it ;-)