View Full Version : Where have access point groups gone?!?

sirox
09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Am I dreaming or have they just disappeared from the E90?

matchstick
09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Unless Nokia have found the most effective hiding place ever they aren't available on the E90 :(

I hope they'll appear in a forthcoming firmware (wasn't there rumoured to be one due last week ?) but I'm not planning to hold my breath.

we-are-borg
11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I miss access point groups... very handy for automating programs like Profimail. When set to always ask, mail doesn't update as its waiting on a prompt from me etc.. I really liked the feature on my E61 and I can't see any reason why its omitted on the newer handsets.

Sure, its not hard to manually choose access point on the fly but as I said above if you are moving between say; Office(wifi) and Home (wifi) and Train or Bus (3.5G) and your favourite coffee shop (wifi) your phone should know where you are and choose correct access point from group (by trial and error) automatically especially for apps that you want to update in the background like mail, rss feeds etc.

Thats what access point groups do, and do well. Its illogical that they are omitted on the E90 frankly.

I'm sure its not that big a deal to include this and certainly possible in a firmware update.... and... after all it is a smartphone right?

zestuart
12-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Try DeviceScape: it's free, and very nice for managing WiFi access: devicescape.com.

I run it on my n95 and N800 and it makes auto-connecting to WiFi access points a lot easier. I think Nokia are about to start bundling it/putting it in the Download app so this could be why there are no AP groups any more. (In case you're wondering why I don't run it on my e90 it's because it's hasn't arrived yet. :tongue: )

sirox
12-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Try DeviceScape: it's free, and very nice for managing WiFi access: devicescape.com.

I run it on my n95 and N800 and it makes auto-connecting to WiFi access points a lot easier. I think Nokia are about to start bundling it/putting it in the Download app so this could be why there are no AP groups any more. (In case you're wondering why I don't run it on my e90 it's because it's hasn't arrived yet. :tongue: )

Nice one, but not at all a replacement for access point groups. Devicescape would be more useful if there was some WiFi coverage everywhere we go, but 99% of the time I am out of home, there is no public WiFi anywhere.
Access point groups are useful to automatically switch between your home WiFi and GPRS/3G connectivity, mostly for email and VoIP. I have noticed though that both Truphone and Fring have this functionality embedded (they call it Roaming), so it is mainly an email issue now.