View Full Version : E90 & Belkin Router: Solution to 'No Gateway Reply'

timsalmon
06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Having fought with this well reported problem almost since day one, I thought I'd post the solution that has now worked for me. I have a Nokia E90 (and an E70) and Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router (54). When I first got the E90 it 'saw' the (unsecured) network no problem, and connected. Some time after that (and maybe since I took the E90 to work and hooked it up no problem with the Linksys Router there - no security) it just continued to report 'no gateway reply' every time I tried to connect. I trawled the forums and followed what advice I could find, but didn't get anywhere. All this time, the E70 went straight on - no problem - all the settings in the two phones were the same, but the E90 just kept reporting the error. I tried hard-resetting the E90 (full 3+*+green+power) but still no joy. I tried this because some dipstick at Belkin support told me that I had screwed the phone by confusing it with the network at my workplace (?!?). Anyway, no joy.

So I started fiddling and after ages, made it work by going into the Belkin Setup, checking free IP addresses when clicking on LAN Setup/DHCP Client List (from left menu) and making a note of the ones which are already used - you need to use an unused one. In LAN Setup/LAN Settings you'll see the Subnet Mask - make a note. You'll also find here the 'default gateway' but it's just called IP Address - make a note. Then in Internet WAN/DNS you'll find the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS settings - make a note.

Turning to the phone, open settings/connection/Access Points then open up the 'Belkin54g' Access Point for editing... Connection name: Belkin54g, Data Bearer: Wireless LAN, WLAN network name: Belkin54g, Network status: Public, WLAN network mode: Infrastructure, WLAN security mode: Open network. Then Options/Advanced Settings/IPv4 settings - Phone IP Address: try an address that you identified earlier wasn't being used, Subnet mask: what you made a note of, Default gateway: you noted it. Highlight and select DNS address, then put in your primary and secondary DNS addresses as you noted earlier.

Now I've seen all this information elsewhere on the forums, but not specifically for the Belkin and I could have used this to help me. The stuff I read assumed a knowledge of matters networking, which I don't have. So I hope this helps someone else before Nokia decide to fix this problem which seems to be pretty widespread. I did try a NSU on the phone but it said it had the latest version, incidentally.

For the record, I turned on the WEP security after I'd got it all working and it worked OK, then the next morning it failed again, so I'm not sure what that's about. At the moment I have no security on. I know I should have and I'll play with that but - it's working!

Tim

NickAnstee
06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Not sure, but I have never had any luck with either Belkin or Linksys routers, I now have the BT (British Telecom) wireless router and it works perfectly with my E90, E61, MacBook etc (so much so that I have actually forgotten that I have got a router and that it is hidden behind the TV!). The other problem I found with Belkin/Linksys is although the signal reported was good it was subject to interference from concrete walls etc.

palmy
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I've had this problem on E70 with Linksys and managed to overcome it. Hope this helps you:

1. Go to the wireless setting on your router.
2. You should find a setting on "channel", which should have options from 1-13 or 1-10.
3. Choose one channel that is somewhere in the middle range e.g. 5-8.
4. Save the setting.

You should be OK.

Liquid_Li0n
08-11-2007, 12:41 PM
The information on this topic already helped me a bit further but it is still a long way

First of all, I don't have a Belkin or LinkSys router but a SMC ADSL Wifi modem router 54g WPA2
Next to that I have an E90 with latest firmware
A desktop on XP Pro SP2 and a laptop on Vista Home Premium
The first thing I don't understand is why the range is so bad, The Router is behind the TV and I'm sitting upstairs with Laptop/E90 and no or very worse connection...
On the E90 I did what you told me and choose an unused IP address
In my Case 192.168.2.5, Subnetmask is 255.255.255.0 and standard gateway (I think) is 192.168.2.1 ( the address to access the router in a browser)

What I notice is that it connects (you see the lock appearing on the ::), but now I get the "gateway errormessage", before those settings from this topic, I always got "Predefined WPA key not valid" (or something like that because my phone is in Dutch language) and could not connect.

Before this SMC router I had a Belkin with WEP and it worked flawlessly with my Nokia E61 and HP Ipaq hx4700, now that I bought the SMC with WPA/WPA2 I only got my E61 connected after a long search aswell, I copied the same settings from it to the E90 (before this topic settings) and it wasn't succesful...

I also tried a trick from S60tips.com to disable the power saver in the advanced options of the wifi:
Tools | Settings | Wireless LAN | Options | Advanced | warning message click yes | auto config off, radio off, power saver off.
This helps a bit or otherwise I think it does but maybe you already tried it. So tell me what your opinion is?

P.S.: I'm in Channel 5 on my router and Wireless Mode is Mixed (11b+11g) because it seems that when I choose for 11g only it seems not to work well anymore...