View Full Version : E90: Impressions after 30 days

mjlaris
30-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I have been a fan of Nokia phones for about 10 years and have used other smartphones but the E90 is my first communicator. I have read all the comments, good and bad, on this forum and on many other forums. After using the E90 for 30 days I have to say that it is the best device I have ever owned. I completely agree with Steve's review in his most recent video cast. The E90 is a pleasure to use and all that RAM lets you multi-task that way you should. While I agree that I wouldn't want to write War and Peace on the E90, it is great for reviwing documents and making changes. It gives me much more flexibility than I ever expected from a mobile phone. It's a great device! All I have to say to the old time communicator owners is to just get over it! The world changes and the E90 is a great tool for this changing world.

Mark

Tr1gg3R
31-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I completely agree with Mjlaris and Steve :)

While I did notice some irregularities like the shortcuts not working everywhere (ctrl+c and ctrl+v for example) the phone has been holding up great.

I have been using it now for 5 days without a recharge and according to the screen I only lost 2 bars of "health" ;)
Even if I will lose power next monday, 7 days on a single charge while using it every day (wifi/gprs/calls/sms and some text editing), it is still a great achievement.

I'm a very happy E90 user so far :D

P.S. I do have the issue of the coke can microphone/speaker and the device sits a bit unstable due to it's feet not reaching the surface but the Nokia Tech Representative told me I could walk in on a Nokia Service Point and they could fix it on the spot.
Personally I think it is not that good that a 830 euro phone has this kind of problems, but it is nice to know that the Nokia Support line will always help.
Previous encounters with my Nokia N800, 770 and E60 were all dealt with in a proper and timely manner.

cgrosu
06-09-2007, 07:02 PM
until now, i am also very happy about e90, but:

1. when i am inside a web page, and the web page is very long...what is the shortcut for Home or go to End of the page, or page up or page down?

2. also, using the internet browser, i would like to see the web page and do Copy - Paste it into a different application. How do i do this?

3. I am reading a web page and i want to copy paste some text. How do i do this?

i think new shortcuts should be added on the next firmware.

satsuma
07-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I have had mine about a month now.
Imported to UK from Hong Kong eBay seller which included 2GB MicroSD.

Advantages
Good quality screen external and internal.
Mocha theme - complements Mocha body nicely
Camera is very good for an enterprise phone.
No proper crashes yet
Hinge is robust.
QWERTY really quite useable
Mail 4 Exchange works outta da box
Works in a basic kind of way with BMW Bluetooth on BMW E92 - at least it's safe.
Like the extra line on the home screen displaying missed calls / texts etc - less intrusive than the pop-on on older S60 devices.
Gallery in lid open mode can be really nice to use if your pix are particularly panoramic.

Disadvantages / moans
battery cover is loose and shockingly cheap and flimsy :mad:
D-pad on internal part of phone is very fiddly, prone to causing errors
GPS is next to useless (takes ages to lock on) - tried in UK, Spain and Denmark with similarly patchy results. I hope get A-GPS plus other refinements in firmware upgrade.
Mail 4 Exchange still does not allow me to accept meetings into the calendar :rolleyes:
Bluetooth sometimes switches itself off when the phone is switched off - mostly after switching profiles - is this a fault or a feature?
Couldn't use the wifi to connect to Copenhagen airport hotspot the other day - this is one of the more reliable hotspots I use.
No stand included in the box - on a $900 phone :o

In general I am pretty happy with the handset.
If firmware upgrades (soonish please) fixed the GPS and addressed a few other little quirks, then I'd be really happy.
I have not had the infamous crackling speaker problem yet - touch wood.

ktabic
10-09-2007, 11:25 AM
After less than a week with the E90, I have the following list of complaints. None of these are showstoppers, and the phone does pretty much what I want and expected.

Stuff that could be fixed with a firmware upgrade:
Music player D-pad controls. Who thought these up? they are completely the wrong layout. This is the one that annoys me most. Left and right are volume up and down? Up is back and down is forward? Just about every other musicplayer (software and hardware) have left and right as back anad forward, and up and down as volume. Yes, I find this annoying. I keep going back when turning the volume up.
The light timeout is short. One minute is the max. When I'm on the internal screen I want a longer timeout. Some things I read on the internal screen take more than a minute to get through
Ringtone selection. Is is just me or can you now browse for mp3s already on the phone when trying to customize profiles. Only use the default aac files of download. Yet you can use the 3d tones program to set an mp3 (just don't give it any 3d effects, it sounds fine).

Stuff I want changed but needs new hardware to do:
Camera shutter button. Incrediably dodgy, most of the time I can't take a picture.
Better feedback from the qwerty keyboard. Theres not much tactile response.
The two selection keys as keys on the qwerty keyboard as well as by the side, aka the menu and esc keys.

jmvdinis
23-09-2007, 01:29 AM
The only complaines I have are:
1- The E90 does not vibrate;
2- The rubber feet are not aligned.

My E90 is a great Symbian device and his GPS works very well.

mjlaris
23-09-2007, 12:45 PM
The only complaines I have are:
1- The E90 does not vibrate;
2- The rubber feet are not aligned.

My E90 is a great Symbian device and his GPS works very well.

The E90 does vibrate, it has the strongest vibrator of any phone I've ever had. If your's doesn't vibrate, then exchange it because it's defective.

Mark

byblos
10-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I have had mine about a month now.
Imported to UK from Hong Kong eBay seller which included 2GB MicroSD.

Advantages
Good quality screen external and internal.
Mocha theme - complements Mocha body nicely
Camera is very good for an enterprise phone.
No proper crashes yet
Hinge is robust.
QWERTY really quite useable
Mail 4 Exchange works outta da box
Works in a basic kind of way with BMW Bluetooth on BMW E92 - at least it's safe.
Like the extra line on the home screen displaying missed calls / texts etc - less intrusive than the pop-on on older S60 devices.
Gallery in lid open mode can be really nice to use if your pix are particularly panoramic.

Disadvantages / moans
battery cover is loose and shockingly cheap and flimsy :mad:
D-pad on internal part of phone is very fiddly, prone to causing errors
GPS is next to useless (takes ages to lock on) - tried in UK, Spain and Denmark with similarly patchy results. I hope get A-GPS plus other refinements in firmware upgrade.
Mail 4 Exchange still does not allow me to accept meetings into the calendar :rolleyes:
Bluetooth sometimes switches itself off when the phone is switched off - mostly after switching profiles - is this a fault or a feature?
Couldn't use the wifi to connect to Copenhagen airport hotspot the other day - this is one of the more reliable hotspots I use.
No stand included in the box - on a $900 phone :o

In general I am pretty happy with the handset.
If firmware upgrades (soonish please) fixed the GPS and addressed a few other little quirks, then I'd be really happy.
I have not had the infamous crackling speaker problem yet - touch wood.

I'm doubting to buy an E90. But how good does it cooperate with the BMW Bluetooth interface? What can be done? What can't be done?

It would we sad if I buy such an expensive phone, if it would not work with my bluetooth car interface (OEM BMW Bluetooth since Sep '06, the same Bluetooth interface as in the BMW 3 series coupé, E92, from Satsuma)

robmir
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
It worked like a charm with my Parrot 3200 bluetooth car handsfree.

But at least on my case I had to install on the phone the Nokia 810 contact downloader application which you can find in the Nokia support website.

With this application on the phone, each time I turn on the vehicle it forces the phone to sincronize the phone book to the Parrot.

You can later customize the Parrot handsfree phone book to respond to your command voice.

It even show on the Parrot display the battery charge status and the signal level, something it didn't do with my previous Nokia phone so I believe bluetooth integration is adequate.

The only thing I couldn't do yet is to use the phone as a media source through bluetooth interface to my son's Sony BT5000 car receiver as I can do with my older Nokia phone.

This Sony car receiver has a source input which can be paired to many bluetooth capable devices and reproduce through the car speakers the sound stored on the media player. Sound neat right :rolleyes: