View Full Version : Getting Films on my Z8!

theoak
16-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi all, I hope as a new user someone is able to help!

I am looking to upload some films/sitcoms/whatever to my new Z8, hopefully in the same quality as the Bourne Identity it came with. There is not software with it nor any mention in the instructions of how to do it! (stupid motorola!)

I am very much after the ability to copy directly from dvd and also from mpeg or avi files on my pc already. I have clone dvd mobile but a) it doesnt have the option for z8 and b) it says that it is protected or encrypted content for all my dvds; even though i OWN them all! very frustrating.

Can somebody please please give me an idiots guide to this?

Thanks!

hobbes79
17-08-2007, 07:43 AM
There are many apps that you can get, look for iPod type converters ie 'anything' to mp4/M4V format. The Z8 screen is the same size as the 5th gen iPod so try these settings:

Format: MP4
Video Bitrate: 384
Audio Bitrate: 128
Res: 320x240

Finally, use the built in Media Player to view NOT Mobiclip.

theoak
17-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks, I saw this reply in another post, was looking for more specific recommendations? Which is the most popular and which have people on here had most success with?

hobbes79
17-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I use this:

Plato Video to PSP Converter

Works excellently.

theoak
17-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Thank you, I have just been trying IMtoo converter which I have used in the past for other things.

The problem with this, it is doesnt seem to rotate the video and make it full screen when i send it to my phone, is there anyway to do this? does the PSP one you mentioned manage to do that? Also, will this programme convert exsiting .avi, .mpeg, .3gp etc on my pc, or does it only do dvds?

Thank you very much for your advice, its much appreciated!

I still cant believe Motorola market it as a phone to play films etc, then offer you no software OR instructions of how to actually DO it!

hobbes79
17-08-2007, 10:55 AM
In order to get films to play full screen, the resolution has to match the screen size. The Plato software default settings are correct, but you may be able to adjust the resolution in the software you are using. It has to be set to this

Res: 320x240

in order to play full screen.

The Plato software will encode anything (all the files you mention) to MP4 format and in the correct resolution to play full screen. You just need to have the right codecs on your computer, which you probably already have if you've been playing around with the files previously.

Let me know how you get on :)

I think that Plato software has a trial version if you just want to at least have a play, or like I said, you may be able to get to the correct settings in the software you have.

theoak
17-08-2007, 11:02 AM
you're a star mate, thank you for your help. I guess it is not so much the size its set to, but the rotation. Will the plato one know to rotate a film 90 degrees to the right in order to be viewed sidewyas on the z8?

hobbes79
17-08-2007, 11:06 AM
If you get the resolution right, the phone will know to rotate it 90 degrees and to play it to fill the screen. Mine does anyway :)

theoak
19-08-2007, 05:57 PM
ok, I have this program and Im trying it at the moment; but two things! its HUGELY slow; a 1hr 57 min film is taking 2hr30 to convert?! surely I can get quicker than this?!

also, it DOESNT do files from my pc, ONLY direct form the dvd player, is there any way round this, or any programs that CAN do all this?

hobbes79
20-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Mine does files from my PC fine. I just hit the + symbol and then add whatever file I like. Did seem a little slow, but nothing too bad for me I thought. It's probably struggling more since it's having to read what's probably about 8GB from a disc if you're only going from the DVD.

mobilewonder
20-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi,

IMO clone DVD mobile is by far the best tool out there. You seemed to be having 2 problems with it, which are easy to solve

1) Encrytped DVD's. Sure, they are all copy protected. you need to use a program called DVD Decrypter first. This will decrypt and export your DVD to your harddrive.
2) No Z8 option. true, just use the ipod option instead.

3) A problem you may come across is the final screen. Ensure you have a final resolution of 320x240..... this can be achieved normall by messing with the zoom. Secondly make sure you have a bit rate around 384... this will give you the best quality vs size.

Hope all that helps,

theoak
22-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Finally bit the bullet and sold this phone! Motorola must have a non-existant software testing team as they are SO bloody annoying to use. I thought in the YEARS passed since I last owned a Moto, they would have fixed up a little, but I was sadly mistaken.

The predictive text is an absolute nightmare, as is the menu system and don't even get me started on the buttons! 'downgrading' to a w880i and making over a 100 in the process (sold for 245), just happy to be rid of it now, before it rapidly decreases in value.

Thanks for the help though guys, if I decide on anotehr symbian phone instead, probably the N95, I will certianly be back (if youll have me!)