View Full Version : How to Flash Chinese Firmware on E90?

babyfool
01-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi All,

I was able to find E90 at a lot of places, most online and some from local importers as well.

However, none of them was able to confirm that the Unit they sell support Chinese. I have tried a phone with a local importer and when I go Settings->phone->general->Phone lanauage, the only options are English, Frence, Portugue ...etc. No Simplified Chinese!!!

That importer was of course, pissed off a little bit because I openned the sealed box but didn't buy it.

My questions is that, is it safe for me to just get the one I already openned and then re-fash the phone with a Chinese firmware?

Thanks a lot

iani
02-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I would imagine you would have to change the product code to reflect an E90 product that supports Chinese. You can do this with tool like NSS but first you need to get hold of the appropriate product code, you should then be able to update the firmware as/when an update is available.

Ian

babyfool
03-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks for your answer. You mean after changing the device code, I will have to wait until a new version of firmware becomes available before being able to update?

I am actually a new symbian Nokia user. So based on your experience, how often does Nokia release new firmwares?

iani
03-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your answer. You mean after changing the device code, I will have to wait until a new version of firmware becomes available before being able to update?

I am actually a new symbian Nokia user. So based on your experience, how often does Nokia release new firmwares?

It may let you reinstall the firmware version currently installed, this would load the relevant languages for the new device code. As for frequency, there is no set frequency for releases, if you look at the N95 which has been out for a few months now, it is on its 2nd firmware update already.

Ian

jwpara
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi All,

I was able to find E90 at a lot of places, most online and some from local importers as well.

However, none of them was able to confirm that the Unit they sell support Chinese. I have tried a phone with a local importer and when I go Settings->phone->general->Phone lanauage, the only options are English, Frence, Portugue ...etc. No Simplified Chinese!!!

That importer was of course, pissed off a little bit because I openned the sealed box but didn't buy it.

My questions is that, is it safe for me to just get the one I already openned and then re-fash the phone with a Chinese firmware?

Thanks a lot

I can confirm, exist E90 with chinese simplified language, I own one already, pretty hard to find it , but I have it already...bought from China trought some connections..

babyfool
07-08-2007, 02:19 AM
HI All,

After some research, I was able to eventually turn my English E90 into the one that supports Simplified Chinese.

The procedure is exactly as iani sugguested. Using NSS tool to change the product code to 0544485. This is the product code for the Singapore version and so far it is the only version that has simplified Chinese on it. Change it to 0544491 (hong kong version) if you need traditional Chinese but I think at this moment, the Hong Kong E90 is not released yet so if do change the product code to it, you will get a version of firmware that is same as the Australian version which has no Chinese at all. However, in the future when Hong Kong version was released, then this might work.

After changing the product code, just do a nokia software udpate and it will either ask you to upgrade or ask you to re-install the latest firmware. After the re-installation you will get the Chinese fonts and inputs.

Tr1gg3R
25-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I would like to back up Babyfool's message.

Today I received my Nokia E90 and after checking the device for any malfunctions I flashed it to the Singapore version including Simplified Chinese.

I originally received a 0514979: EMEA 1 - UK red Nokia E90 with english, dutch, russian and a 4th language (turkish or spanish, can't remember).

Right now I flashed it to a 0544485: APAC Singapore version.

The software still works flawless and changing the product code with NSS is a breeze, just a scan, alter and write.
Using the NSU it downloaded some 85MB's and flashed the phone with the same firmware (v 07.24.03) as my original device.

Anyone who requires Simplified Chinese on his or her EMEA device can safely flash it using the above stated method, like stated everywhere else for the N95 and such).

Cheers!

cooli
29-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Good to hear Tr1gg3R and babyfool :)

Now still only problem for my taiwanese colleague is that he has a Finnish E90 with different keyboard layout as HK or Singapore version...

Another question: when you finally get Chinese support, does it also apply to the Web browser (see webpage in mandarin) ?

Tr1gg3R
29-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Good to hear Tr1gg3R and babyfool :)

Now still only problem for my taiwanese colleague is that he has a Finnish E90 with different keyboard layout as HK or Singapore version...

Another question: when you finally get Chinese support, does it also apply to the Web browser (see webpage in mandarin) ?

I did a quick check with yahoo.cn, mobile.qq.com and taobao.com and they all work without a problem.

Too bad yahoo.co.jp and other Japanese pages do not work.

Ah well, sometimes you just can't have it all ;)

About your keyboard layout problem, I got a PM from a member named "faw" and he said:
hello i need a file from the e90 to change the layout of the keyboard its called pitQwertyenglish.rsc u can find it using active file on the Z\Resourses\qwerty its called PitQwertyEnglish.rsc can u help me and send it to me on ....

Apparently you can change your keyboard layout using this file.
Maybe you can reflash your original firmware, extract the qwerty file, flash the Singapore firmware again and replace the qwerty file in that rom with the one you extracted from your original rom.
That way you might be able to get things working 100% :D

Let me know if it works out.

sildra9on
31-08-2007, 10:17 AM
i just bought mine e90, i dont know what firmware or version. all i see is with indonesian and phillipino language beside english. i need to flash it to chinese. simplified too.
i read all ur posts. i am still confused how to do it. can any of you give me instruction where to download NSS, how do i install it. and how do i flash it.

THanks a lot:con?

Tr1gg3R
31-08-2007, 12:02 PM
i just bought mine e90, i dont know what firmware or version. all i see is with indonesian and phillipino language beside english. i need to flash it to chinese. simplified too.
i read all ur posts. i am still confused how to do it. can any of you give me instruction where to download NSS, how do i install it. and how do i flash it.

THanks a lot:con?

Hi sildra9on,

I read your PM and am currently writing a small guide how to reflash your phone and change it's product code and such.

When it is ready I'll post it in these forums.

Hang on, it should be ready today or tomorrow :) (in any case ASAP :tongue: )

cooli
09-10-2007, 09:37 AM
About your keyboard layout problem, I got a PM from a member named "faw" and he said:
"
hello i need a file from the e90 to change the layout of the keyboard its called pitQwertyenglish.rsc u can find it using active file on the Z\Resourses\qwerty its called PitQwertyEnglish.rsc can u help me and send it to me on ....
"
Apparently you can change your keyboard layout using this file.
Maybe you can reflash your original firmware, extract the qwerty file, flash the Singapore firmware again and replace the qwerty file in that rom with the one you extracted from your original rom.
That way you might be able to get things working 100% :D

Let me know if it works out.

Thanks for the tip, we have been trying but somehow we have not yet found a way to copy or replace the qwerty files. This Z\Resourses\qwerty directory is kind of write protected (at least when using e.g. Xplore file explorer).
Would you know any way to replace those files?

Thanks in advance!

birdhead
01-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Has anyone got the E90 product code for Thailand please? I need Thai fonts.