View Full Version : Help in restoring backup

atomzed
27-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

I recently send my phone for servicing (due to inactive touch screen). Before I've sent it for servicing, i've backup my phone (contacts, notes, sms,etc) using the PC suite.

After I received my phone, which was formatted by the service centre with new installed firmware and chinese reading software, I tried restoring the backup for my phone.

To my horror, the PC suite won't allow me to restore my backup! If I tried to restore the backup, it will say "the selected backup is incompatible with the connected phone".

And now i've lost all my contacts,calenders and everything!

Anyone of you smart ppl out there know how can i restore my backup?Alternatively, I will settle for any software which will allow me to read my backup files (so that i can copy out the contacts, notes and other impt info...which i dun have in hard copy).

Pls help! Thanks in advance!

superswede
06-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Sorry, never heard of any sw that will enable you to read your bkp file. And for the future; bkp's are supposed to be restored on to the same firmware that you took the backup from, not a never or older one (due to the obvious changes that a firmware does to the phone). You should therefore use PC Suite Sync tool to backup contacts, calender etc and then sync it back onto the new firmware.

In other words; backups are for thoose cases that you have to reset your phone due to SW errors.

atomzed
07-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Sigh, thanks swede for the reply...

What am I supposed to do then? I done what they asked me to... to backup my phone contents. I wouldn't have known that I can't restore my backup after they updated my firmware.

Does that mean that if I master reset my phone, I will be able to restore my backup?

I suspect that the call center change my firmware from a World General to one that is specific to Singapore... that would explain why I couldn't restore my backup at all.

superswede
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
What you where supposed to do (...and for the future..) is to use PC Suite to synchronzie your data (contacts, calender, notes) with lokal Outlook or MS mail, NOT backup. Since synchronizing will allow you to syncronize back to phone even after a firmware upgrade.

And no, performing a master reset will not help you in this situation since a master reset will not downgrade your firmware just reset phone to the state as it where in after you got it from the call center.

Backup is only usable to backup all your phones settings and data in case you need to perform a master reset (and hence, afterwards restoring the backup onto the same firmware level).

wizardtan
05-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi atomzed,

where do you get your chinese reading software?

thanks.

martinharnevie
05-04-2008, 12:33 PM
What you where supposed to do (...and for the future..) is to use PC Suite to synchronzie your data (contacts, calender, notes) with lokal Outlook or MS mail, NOT backup. Since synchronizing will allow you to syncronize back to phone even after a firmware upgrade.

And no, performing a master reset will not help you in this situation since a master reset will not downgrade your firmware just reset phone to the state as it where in after you got it from the call center.

Backup is only usable to backup all your phones settings and data in case you need to perform a master reset (and hence, afterwards restoring the backup onto the same firmware level).
I must say that was the most idiotic and unuserfriendly explanation I ever heard. Even suggesting that people should have to use something like Outlook for moving your data from phone to phone is beyond belief. Even the PC Suite for original Psion PDAs could restore all your files and settings to any device.

martinharnevie
05-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry, never heard of any sw that will enable you to read your bkp file.
Take a look at PsiWin which was the PC Suite for Psion 5mx (Symbian OS v5) and you will see a backup utility that is user friendly and where you can restore between different devices.