View Full Version : Issues with E90 (Updated regularly)

OngL
02-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Gripes on E90

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparing the current E90 that I have from a prototype version, I can see there are some improvement e.g. mechanics in hinges, etc. I bought two E90s recently from retail market and I found the following issues:

1) The casing near the loudspeaker at the back cover is not perfectly fitted, you can press the surface and feel some movement of casing. This is annoying if you're typing using the loudspeaker and feel that the case move now and then on your right palm. I am sensitive, so may not be applicable to all.

2) When I put the E90 on a flat table, it did not rest on all four rubber points. The left top is hanging while the other three seems to touch the surface. So when rested on a surface, it is easy to slide the unit. It is also the same case when you open the cover, but now it left the right side hanging.

Anyone has the same issue?

OngL
02-07-2007, 05:47 AM
It seems that when you have a lot of applications on mSD, it actually can double up your boot time.

A fresh E90 boots in 15 seconds, while E90 with 3rd party installes in main memory about 20 seconds and those with memory cards can be as slow as 40 seconds.

So please be aware.

OngL
02-07-2007, 05:49 AM
I reinstalled my E90 with *#7370# (Restore your device to factory setting) with all 3rd party software that I have. When your E90 boots up longer than usual and has a beep before the PIN screen, you're in trouble.

Some applications e.g. Projectk and Nokia Mobile Search causes this. It was not until I reverse install (uninstall one by one), I managed to pin point the cause.

If this happens to you, it really slows down the boot-up time up to double/double and a half of a fresh E90. So you may want to consider if it's worth having the apps.

aylmer
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I do not have projectk installed. Didn't come with my phone. What is it?

I have no problems with hinges though one of my sets came with a slightly misaligned front panel. (ie. the plastic piece below buttons *0#) was not aligned. I had to push it down and then press it. Now it looks ok.

I reinstalled my E90 with *#7370# (Restore your device to factory setting) with all 3rd party software that I have. When your E90 boots up longer than usual and has a beep before the PIN screen, you're in trouble.

Some applications e.g. Projectk and Nokia Mobile Search causes this. It was not until I reverse install (uninstall one by one), I managed to pin point the cause.

If this happens to you, it really slows down the boot-up time up to double/double and a half of a fresh E90. So you may want to consider if it's worth having the apps.

OngL
02-07-2007, 03:17 PM
So you don't have this problem in the loudspeaker part, where you can press it and it'd move and make some sounds?
The rubber on four points are also not stable e.g. you can move the unit easily, it should have quite hard to move around due to the friction from the rubber.

capkapak
02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I have this exact same problem with the rear cover as you, I've described it in My-Symbian.

OngL
05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Funny, it was not present on prototype version. Normally the Commercial version would be better.

khoolhandz
06-07-2007, 12:54 AM
I just bought my e90 and received it yesterday.

After a couple hours or inactivity (it goes to screen saver), the phone just HANGS and i could not reset it without removing the battery and starting it up.

This is getting very very annoying. I just transferred most of my N95 settings and files to the E90 and I hate to hard reset it and reinstall it again.

I also do have the latest firmware V07.24.0.3 12-06-2007 RA-6 NOKIA E90 26.

What's going on?

krabicka3
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, my best guess is that E90 is not comfortable with N95's settings and it somehow causes it to freeze.

spectre
06-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone,

So far I haven't experienced any of the problems described in this thread as far as the phone's construction's is concerned. Though I haven't verified the application related issues.

However, I agree with the relatively low friction on the rubber padding. This is in comparison with the previous model (Nokia 9500 Communicator).

One minor (if not OC related) problem I have experienced is the text writing format when composing messages in the internal interface. It defaults to Abc format so I have to press shift at the start of every sentence since I prefer to use the abc format. So far this is the only workaround that I have discovered. I'm still looking if there's a way to disable this feature.

Just sharing my experience. Cheers.

OngL
06-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Khoolhandz, I rarely (only once in fact) had this hard crash. I removed the battery to fix this. It was related to messaging application. There was also a reboot that I didn't know what cause it.

Bear in mind that I suspect this is either due to file system corruption in the microSD or 3rd party software. I installed more than 30-40 3rd party software, so one of it may mess around with my E90. With common 3rd party software or mint condition, it is very stable.

khoolhandz
07-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I've already done a hard reset on the e90, left it at factory setting to see when it will crash, and yup, it still kept crashing at exactly 3 hours! What the hell?
I'm pissed off, I ordered it from overseas and would be a headache to get a replacement.

Khoolhandz, I rarely (only once in fact) had this hard crash. I removed the battery to fix this. It was related to messaging application. There was also a reboot that I didn't know what cause it.

Bear in mind that I suspect this is either due to file system corruption in the microSD or 3rd party software. I installed more than 30-40 3rd party software, so one of it may mess around with my E90. With common 3rd party software or mint condition, it is very stable.

spectre
07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi khoolhandz,

That's too bad. Can you confirm if you have the latest firmware installed in your phone. Having the latest firmware could address your problem, otherwise, it could be a defective unit.

Cheers.

jah
07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
@khoolhandz, re-install the firmware. Start with a fresh copy and see what happens

khoolhandz
07-07-2007, 11:53 PM
@khoolhandz, re-install the firmware. Start with a fresh copy and see what happens

I tried doing this, but the software updater won't let me because my firmware is up-to-date...can anybody tell me how to force-reinstall the firmware?

Thanks!

aylmer
17-07-2007, 02:45 AM
just wondered what happened to your case....

did you do the hard reset button presses?

Heard they are the following but have not tried it myself...

Option 1
*#7370# Soft-Format, the phone memory going to be formated, don't use this when battery is under 75% capacity

option 2
Green dail button * 3 Hard-Format, the phone memory is going to formated and the setting reset. don't use this when battery is under 75% capacity

I tried doing this, but the software updater won't let me because my firmware is up-to-date...can anybody tell me how to force-reinstall the firmware?

Thanks!