View Full Version : Waaaaaahhhh, there *has* to be a way? MMS woes :-?

Zippy172
09-01-2003, 12:56 AM
... a mate of mine has just become the proud owner of a 7650 and would like me to send him some midi files since he currently doesn't have any means of connecting his PC to his phone (no BT or IRDA)

Using my file manager I've found where all my midi files live on the C "drive", yet, when I try to send them via multimedia, the phone complains bitterly that it doesn't like the MID file, wants only jpg images or the recorder generic file format (amr is it?)

Surely there is someway to get the phone to send *anything* over MMS? or, are there particular limitations/restrictions on the actual data sent over MMS? Do I need a 3rd party app that will "encode" what I really want to send in an allowed filetype, then decode it the other end?

Any help offered gratefully received :)

evobit
09-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Never tried myself, but could you rename them with a different extension and then try the mms again?

Have you tried an mms with a .jpg or similar to his phone?

Ewan
09-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Domi Hugo's File Explorer (http://my-symbian.com/7650/download/search.php?name=FExplorer) (freeware) can send any file via bluetooth from7650 to 7650. Easiest ( and cheapest ) way to do it IMO.

omar_g
09-01-2003, 02:12 AM
Some MMSC (where you MMS goes via before reaching the other mobile) are purposly limited by the Networks. They will only send certain file extentions. I *think* T-Mobile in the UK has limited certain files. MP4 being one of them.

As suggested by Ewan, why not just use bluetooth? If he's too far away, email it to your mate. Get him to set up a free POP3 account on his 7650. A free O2.co.uk or Yahoo.co.uk address will do.

petran
09-01-2003, 02:20 PM
The 7650 does NOT allow sending midi files via mms! It says so in the specs and have also unsuccessfully tried sending one... :(
Changing the extension will not help, as it recognizes it.

There's only one way to send midi via mms! You have to use the videomms application, though. Rename it to mp4 and send it with this application. The recepient must then change it back to mid and voila! Fortunately, somehow video mms bypasses the phone's mms sending "mechanism"! :)

Zippy172
10-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Domi Hugo's File Explorer (http://my-symbian.com/7650/download/search.php?name=FExplorer) (freeware) can send any file via bluetooth from7650 to 7650. Easiest ( and cheapest ) way to do it IMO.

Indeed, over BT it would be a piece of cake, however, my mate is about 140 miles away from me at the moment.... :x

Zippy172
10-01-2003, 02:59 PM
The 7650 does NOT allow sending midi files via mms! It says so in the specs and have also unsuccessfully tried sending one... :(
Changing the extension will not help, as it recognizes it.

There's only one way to send midi via mms! You have to use the videomms application, though. Rename it to mp4 and send it with this application. The recepient must then change it back to mid and voila! Fortunately, somehow video mms bypasses the phone's mms sending "mechanism"! :)

Yup, I had already tried renaming the mid as jpg but no cigar :( Obviously the OS looks at the header of the file to really determine what kind of file it is... I even moved the "JPG" midi file into the images area and then tried to view the file with the image viewer, the thumbnail was the 'broken file' icon as you would expect...

Mint_Sauce
11-01-2003, 12:01 PM
how about uploading somewhere and then getting him to type the URL into his phone over wap....

Zippy172
11-01-2003, 12:45 PM
heh, by far the easiest thing for him to do is get himself a BT adaptor for his PC, which, I believe he is currently doing :)