View Full Version : Computer Shopper Uselessness

SwitchBlade
16-02-2002, 12:36 PM
I've just recieved my subsciber copy of the new Computer Shopper mag through the post this morning. Looking at the front they claim a round-up of phone/PDA combos where I could see the 9210 trouncing all the oppositions. Was I wrong.

The review of 7 phones (And that Cybiko thing) was only over 2 pages. And judging by the briefness of each review I don't think they tested the phones. The 9210 got 3/5 even the stupid Pogo got 4/5. They describe the 9210 has having the 640x480 screen (no mention on the quality or clarity of it), then they mention the keyboard and moan for the rest on the lack of a stylus and touchscreen. I mean, "HELLO!!!! The keyboard negates the need for a touch screen surely?!?!?"

The winning device was the Siemens SX45 which got 5/5 despite you needing to get a headset so that you can have personal calls, instead of speakerphone style. On this phone they review the fact that you can view websites and check e-mail and watch videos, which is ignored on the 9210 review.

The 9210 is described as a brick and unstylish, but from the pictures in the review and from seeing some in real life, I'd say the 9210 is better looking.

Bah another sight of "if it don't run M$, we don't want it." syndrome, though it sounds like they didn't really use the phones in the review.
[addsig]

TANKERx
16-02-2002, 01:18 PM
Pathetic isn't it?

I wouldn't be suprised if M$ had many of these magazines in their pocket...

Either that or the people working for these magazines are ammateurs and are only able to use computers because M$ has made it easy for them to start a Word Processor. Give them something without a 'Start' button and they're lost (what's a Command Prompt? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

Surely, lack of proffessionalism and experience is the only explanation?

I know exactly how you feel and just reading your post has made me angry!

I've a mind to go to Swansea, find a newsagent, read the review (I won't buy it, I'll just put it back on the shelf), get the e-mail address and tell them what I think (though I'll probably lose them once I start using words like 'Messaging' and 'Functionality' - <B>but this does not explain why they listed the Nokia 9210 on their Christmas Wish List</B>).

Of course, I'll be able to do this while sitting on the sea front in Swansea because... ahem..... I have a 9210 and the direct sunlight (which is currently blazing over South Wales) will not spoil it for me.

Hurrah! Hurrah! And thrice, hurrah!

SwitchBlade
16-02-2002, 02:18 PM
I can even see it in bright sunshine while wearing my sunglasses, do that with an M$ pocket pc!

Reading the symbian section now and their review of Meltdown says that WildPalm is leading the way for graphics on the 9210, cough!!! Meltdown has worse graphics than DOOM (IMHO), and TBH neither rival other products. Take a look at the GForce demo to see what the 9210 can do in reality.

/me beats Computer Shopper with a large stick.
[addsig]

Rafe
16-02-2002, 07:09 PM
The general Symbian coverage in Computer Shopper has been preety poor. the ymbian Shopper often has mistakes in it and when you point this out you get ignored. I'll find an address so we can let them know we dissapointed (especially since the mag is rather good most of the time).

Rafe

TANKERx
16-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Nice one!

SwitchBlade
16-02-2002, 08:11 PM
/me thinks we need an All About ER6 petition /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
[addsig]