View Full Version : Newbie question about s60

Popup
09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the S60, but I've been using various other PDA's over the years, such as Psion and Zaurus, and I'm trying to use my new 5500 in the same way as I used those devices.

One thing that I'm a bit baffled about is the whole file system layout. (Technically not the file system, as that appears to be vfat, but rather the directory structure.)

I've figured out that .SIS files to install should be put in /private/10202dce/ in order to be recognised by the application installer. (I use simple 'data transfer' rather than 'PC Suite' as I run linux on this PC.)

Is there anywhere an explanatory text on how files are arranged in the directory structure?

Rafe
16-05-2007, 02:28 PM
SIS files dont need to put anywhere in particular - you can launch them from anywhere using file manager on the phone and they will automatically start installing.

As for other files - it largely depends on the application concerned.

You can guess most of them (e.g. images or sounds), but in most cases it really doesn't matter as you can generally browse the file system at will and put things wherever you like. Some folders (e.g. some of sys) are protected. You can't get in here so its not really anything to worry about.