View Full Version : How to Safely upgrade Firmware on SE P990i

Raza_Ali
08-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know whats the safest method of upgrading firmware on Sony ericsson P990i. I have seen that the handset has certain software glitches like occassional restart and hanging. At certain fora, got this thing that firmware needs to be updated, but the question is how????
Can it safely be done at home, without losing the phone. I am a total novice and I am looking for some way to upgrade the firmware without losing my phone because there is No Sony ericsson Service Centre here, and the nearest one is perhaps 1700 kms away.

timjohn
08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
The Sony Ericsson Update Service is pretty reliable and safe, if a bit longwinded and slow at times.
Ensure that you have the latest version of PC Suite installed (large download from the SE Support Site).
I strongly recommend that you use a broadband connection for both the download and the firmware upgrade! Also, you cannot do the upgrade using your phone modem to connect to the internet as you have to remove the battery frrom the phone as part of the process.
TAKE NOTE! The firmware upgrade will basically reset your phone to as-new state and there have been problems restoring backups. So make sure that you have installation files for all your apps. Synchronize your phone with the PC so that you can get all contacts etc back before you start the following procedure.
Step by step, do the following:
1. Ensure that you have the Update Service software module installed on PC.
2. Connect to the internet using broadband connection (NOT using the phone connection!).
3. Doubleclick Update Service icon.
4. You should be taken to SE Support site and it will check the Update Service software version on your PC. This can take quite a long time. If you don't have the latest version it will download and be installed.
5. Once installed, it runs through some very simple instructions and selections. Follow them closely and your firmware will be upgraded to the latest version.
6. Synchronize your phone to get back all contacts
7. Reinstall all apps.
That's it!
I have updated firmware using this process twice in the last few months and it works fine.
Cheers

Raza_Ali
09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
You didnt mention at which step I have to remove the battery.

Raza_Ali
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Another thing which I would like to ask is that since you in your last post mentioned about keeping installation files of my applications, does that mean that by upgrading the firmware the inbuilt applications like Quick Office, Media Player, Photo Editor etc etc. would be lost????

ssaloon
18-05-2007, 09:11 AM
just follow the instructions upon installation of the update service. it's a step by step procedure.

yes you will lose all files, unless you saved it in your memory stick.

Spoteria
22-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I updated SE 990 last weekend.

Before you update

1. Phone must be fully charged.
2. Copy your data into the memory stick
3. Sync your phone
4. BACKUP your phone
5. Follow the update instructions, they are straight forward.

Default applications like Quickoffice, Media Player, Photo Editor, pdf reader..etc..etc.. Applications that comes with the phone will not be remove once update completed. I have update SE 990i three times for the past 5 months. Twice on my phone and once helping colleague to update.

Third party applications you installed yourself will be removed. You will need to reinstall those third party applications.

When you restored, is true that you may encounter some issues. But if you customised by selecting what you want to restore it should be alright. I restored by selecting calender, notes and contacts.

hope that helps.

simonf
30-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi,
I just updated my firmware and it's like I have a new phone! Quicker, no crashes and speakerphone works with the press of the left soft key.
Don't hesitate. Do it today. Just back up everything first. Really.

gseahawk
10-06-2007, 04:44 PM
hi, i'm also trying to upgrade my firmware.
but before that i want to back up my messages but the pc suite is not connecting to browse the content and move it elsewhere. is there any sw for this???
i have all other applications installers put up in my pc.
i just want to move the msgs and contacts to a safe place... pls help!!!

bench
13-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I have just installed the SE PC Suite, then tried to upgrade my phones firmware. When i tried to install the update service it tells me it does not work on Vista ( what a surprise !). Is there another version or will it just be case of waiting till SE gets one out?

apollo1967
19-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Upgrading always fails at 90 to 95% Why?
Has anybody encountered this problem?:con?