16-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Hello, this is my first ever post so please be gentle with your answers! i recently got the N95 and absolutely love it so far.
Although the Maps thing is really annoying me. I didnt get told that you actaully had to subscribe to a service to recieve the Maps. Therfore i was wondering if there was a solution to this. I was thinking downloading TomTom onto it. However I dont know where to get it from, or if its hard to put on there or where to start! anyones help would really be greatly appreciated!
17-04-2007, 01:57 AM
No , you don't need to subscribe to get maps. Do this:-
1. Go outside with your N95 with a 512Mb card in place and run the maps application until it has found your location, and then exit; it will tell you you are saving data as it exits. This seems to be necessary to pre-load the card.
2. On your pc, go to http://www.smart2go.com/en/help/maploader
3. Switch your usb connection to data transfer mode; menu-tools-usb-usb mode data transfer
4. Download maps to your machine.
5. Frankly, finding where you are and how to walk somewhere - in town or whatever is fine. Car use is distinctly dodgy as you need it right under the windscreen to allow it to see the satellites - which may take 5 mins to log on and then keeps losing it. You can't then read it there anyway 'cos it is too far from you and too small. Many reports of routing being dodgy - so I stick to Autoroute or whatever for that.
17-04-2007, 07:20 AM
not managed to get my gps working yet waiting for sd card to come but have been outside not picking up anything
17-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Took mine about 20 minutes to find it the first time. It then gets quicker
17-04-2007, 12:06 PM
its the same with most sat nav's first time they're turned on (unless they're preloaded). My bluetooth gps needed to be left on for about 20-30mins while it updated the satellites it could see. then it sped up to about 1min in good coverage areas. I couldn't get maploader to work on my pc period - the maps just wouldn't download and sat at 0.00% - guess its server load?
17-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Yes, Jman, I had the same problem.
Just keep disconnecting and reconnecting until the download starts. Mine eventually worked early morning GMT