View Full Version : Why can't SE produce reliable sync-ing software?

rjstep3
16-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I got a free upgrade to the p990i, having used WM devices before that. I had had run-ins with the PC Suite and made the change with some trepidation.

I have put on the latest firmware, and the updated to the latest PC Suite.

I sync-ed - and it all went smoothly. I started to feel happier about the change.

I made one change to Outlook and did another sync - this time it made 77 changes, and has made a nonsense of my data - duplicated contacts, agenda items and tasks.

Why does it do this? WM does not do this, nor does Palm, I have heard that Nokia have sorted out their problems in this area too, what is wrong with SE? How can you market a smartphone that doesn't sync reliably?

I'll persevere for a little while, but I don't think this phone is going to last the course. Which is a shame, as it is a very capable little workhorse.

techmanx
18-04-2007, 09:05 PM
what did you change on outlook, you can use the advanced tab to overwrite the PC or the mobile phone data(calender/contact/notes/tasks)
the usb connection appears to be reliable but i also tried the bluetooth sync which in my experience wasn't reliable. it frequently disconnected when sync'ng.

rjstep3
20-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, I didn't change anything on the PC - it does two things that really irritate me and lead to my not trusting the device.

One - why does the software for reasons of its own duplicate, triplicate and so on contacts? I don't even have to change contacts for this to happen. On the P910, I ended up with 7 copies of one restaurant!

Second - it doesn't sync some Outlook meetings to the P990. There was one meeting at 18.15 it refused to sync. I moved the meeting forward by 15 minutes. Then it synced. I synced again and suddenly another meeting had synced for the first time. I am not prepared to go through my agenda comparing each and every meeting and checking they are same on PC and phone. The software is unreliable, that is the plain and simple truth.

I could start another thread with a list of my irritations with the P series/Symbian if you like! I am planning on going back to WM especially now WM 6 is out.