View Full Version : Nokia N95 - Phonebook Problems

britbadboy
12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Guys,

so the story goes like this! I recently got a Nokia N95 and tried to shift my contacts from the old phone (W850i) to this one.

• First I tried with the Bluetooth but the Nokia only recognised the first number in the business card and thus no use!

• Then I got it all copied onto the SIM, placed the SIM in my Nokia and copied over all the numbers to my phonebook (this did happen).

But now although the numbers are stored in my Nokia, it won’t show up when someone calls up. So it happens that only the number shows up and not the name of the person calling (even though the number is stored within my phone).

But the contacts I have saved manually do work fine and no problem occurs i.e. if someone calls from this list their name pops up!!!

Also another peculiar thing is the contacts I have saved over from the SIM shows with a number in the front.

So the contact looks somewhat like this:

Name/1 or Name/2 etc.

E.g. Mark/1 or Louise/3 etc.

So can someone please help me sorting this bit out and how to get the phone to recognise who’s calling?

bsnappy
12-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I think this is because you've got a number twice in your contacts
Make sure that each number is only listed under one contact and it should show the name when someone calls

britbadboy
12-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I think this is because you've got a number twice in your contacts
Make sure that each number is only listed under one contact and it should show the name when someone calls

can you be a bit more specific? As in how do I check for duplicacy or how do I delete it etc?

Cheers

bsnappy
12-04-2007, 02:13 PM
You'd need to look through the phonebook trying to find ones that match, i don't know of anything that'll do it for you...

You said that some contacts were Name/1 or Name/2. Do these refer to the same contact? if so, that might be your problem.

To delete them, if you don't need both contacts then delete one of them (Press the 'c' key next to the red 'end call' button). If you do need both then edit the contact, and delete the detail with the duplicate number.

Hope this helps

britbadboy
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
well not all the contacts are duplicate though?
how do I export it to Outlook? When I try to sync it, it gives the following error:

http://i17.tinypic.com/2m4vuk5.jpg

britbadboy
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
SORTED!

Synced my phone with outlook!

Deleted all the contacts from the phone!

Synced it back on .... PRESTOOOOOOOO everything works! :icon14:

scorch
16-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Continuing from this problem, but what if i want 2 people to have the same number. is there any suggestions how to get around that.

I have 2 friends that live at the same house and share the same home landline but each have different mobile numbers, so i have 2 contacts one in for each friend. BUT if either call on the landline it just lists the number, and the whole point of having contacts is so that i don't have to remember the numbers.

many thanks.

britbadboy
17-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Continuing from this problem, but what if i want 2 people to have the same number. is there any suggestions how to get around that.

I have 2 friends that live at the same house and share the same home landline but each have different mobile numbers, so i have 2 contacts one in for each friend. BUT if either call on the landline it just lists the number, and the whole point of having contacts is so that i don't have to remember the numbers.

many thanks.

OK here is the solution:

Copy down their individual mobile numbers on a paper

Copy down the landline on a paper too

Delete both contacts

Go new contacts

Save 1st mate: New Contact -- Primary number --- then landline (done)
Save 2nd mate: New Contact -- Primary number --- then landline (done)

should work fine now

SebBelcher
17-04-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm afraid that won't work.

You guys are missing the fundamental point of this. For the phone the contact's number is its 'primary key' because when it gets an incoming call the only indentifying bit of info it gets off the network is the originating number. It can't possibly know who is using that number.

So if you save two contacts with the same phone number, when the phone gets a call it will look up in it's address book to see if it can find a match for the number, if there is only one match, great, it will display it, if there is more than one match (as there would be in this case) it would be wrong of the phone to 'guess' at who is calling, so instead it just displays the number.

I aggree this is very annoying, and there is a way to handle this, it's just never been implemented by Nokia/Symbian. The ideal functionality would be for users to be able to say that a contact is the 'primary owner' of a number. So I can have:

Bill (Sales) MyMadeUpCompany.com - Mobile: 0123456789 Business: 01122334455
Sarah (Support) MyMadeUpCompany.com - Mobile: 0987654321 Business: 01122334455
MyMadeUpCompany.com (Switchboard) - Business: 01122334455 **primary owner**

So when I call either Bill or Sarah on their Business numbers the calls go through to 01122334455 (as is current functionality) but when I get a call from 01122334455 the phone notices there is a primary owner assigned and will display the call as coming from 'MyMadeUpCompany.com (Switchboard)' rather than just the number.

I've been waiting for this since the 7650!

Seb.

scorch
17-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Cheers for the prompt reply.

I'm a Nokia Newbee, always been with those sonyericsson guys but i have now seen the light.

I think the sony just searches the contacts and the first one it comes to is displayed. ok it's not accurate but it gives you a clue on who's calling.

Mark.