View Full Version : Operator restricting using N95 as modem to connect laptop to internet via 3G?

rjamesd
09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
T-mobile offers great deals of 1Gb per month free for internet usage on this phone.

But their small print says the phone cannot be used to connect a laptop to the internet via 3G.

1) How would they know this was being done?

2) They obviously think this would result in higher usage - but what if it is not? Surely they are being a bit dogmatic and blunt.

3) Is the bluetooth modem facility turned off on T-mobile N95 versions?

md27514
09-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Of course they can find out - by detailed analysis your traffic. Are they going to do it? Unlikely, unless you will download really huge amount of data. I use this feature myself and so far nobode from t-mobile objected....

kitesurf
10-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi md27514,

Have you managed to make a connection over bluetooth on the internet from your laptop. I've been trying this out and can't get it work. I downloaded the bluetooth driver file (inf) from Nokia's website and am attempting to use this to make the connection, but it eventually just times out.

I can make a connection over the USB cable no problem.

Any hints you can share?

macwhu
10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
you can have laptop connection and IM if you pay for the web and walk plus. its down the page a bit. its a fiver a month extra - luckily theres £5 off if you book via the website.

Flext + web'n'walk Plus plans
Subject to connection to Flext + web 'n' walk Plus. Minimum term contract and credit check apply. Compatible laptop and handset required. Not applicable to connection via CSD. Subject to coverage. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, a fair use policy of 3GB (of data sent and received in the UK) per month applies. If you exceed 3GB per month, we may tell you to reduce your future use. If you again exceed 3GB per month, we may tell you that we are going to apply network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed for 14 days. If you exceed 3GB per month for a third time, we may tell you that we are going to apply further network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed until you upgrade your price plan to include a larger data allowance. We do not permit use of this service for internet phone calls. Roaming charges apply.

oddly i have better reception at home on tmoby than orange, o2 or vodafone. i actually get a 3g signal - which i dont on any other network - well ive not tried 3. i dotn work for tmoby - honest!! im jsut so gald to escape data robbery.

though i know for a fact orange has something similar planned - but i dotn know details or when (july i think). 3 does it too with their x-series. which seems quite good value and no longer has the dreaded 3 walled garden

macwhu
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
theres modem drivers here:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4323685

the lovely non-flash n95 support pages

md27514
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
macwhu, thanks for posting link to the modem drivers - I didn't remember the link...

kitesurf
11-04-2007, 08:36 AM
I've discovered you don't actually need to download the drivers. I managed to get my laptop to dial up a connection over bluetooth on to 3G. This I did through the dial up networking service on my laptop and when I tried this the first time it "found new hardware" (bluetooth modem) and installed it fine.

Thereafter I was able to make a connection through no problem.

I'm running Win XP SP2 Pro & using the Widcomm Bluetooth Stack v5.

I had been trying this through Nokia PC Suite which the downloaded driver and didn't work. With the 'proper' bluetooth modem installed now, everything works great.