View Full Version : UK operators expensive internet usage crippling this phone

rjamesd
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Went into Vodafone store on Saturday.

2 pounds 88p per megabyte for download. This is so rubbish - the phone offers high speed full internet access - that price is so extortionate.

orange.co.uk have no info on what they charge.

Neither does o2.co.uk

The best deal seams to be T-Mobile - they always have the best deals but isn't their network the worst for reception? I can't have bad receptions for just making calls.

bullroar
09-04-2007, 10:58 PM
With O2 you can buy a "bolt on" with various MB limits, prices start at 5 for 5MB.

You might get a better deal if you haggle on the standard call plans.

livfc
10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Orange have off-peak (7pm - 7am & Weekends) unlimited data for £5 a month, which suits me really as I'm usually at work in the day! Not sure what day rates are but they used be roughly £1 per MB.

chrsfrwll
10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
With O2 you can buy a "bolt on" with various MB limits, prices start at 5 for 5MB.

You might get a better deal if you haggle on the standard call plans.

I used to be on O2 but the 5 for 5MB is too much when you compare it to T-Mobiles 7 for 1GB. T-Mobile's call plans are better too, so it was an easy switch. I've had no problem with GSM reception. Only the 3G switched out when I went to a farm in Devon for the w/e. I'm happy with the switch.

Dan205
10-04-2007, 08:38 AM
The subject of UK providers charging so much for internet is something that frankly disgusts me. Considering it is still essentially WAP for most people, the charges are a disgrace.

A good example of how expensive it can work out is when o2 started charging for data again, in the first month of this I used my N70 as a modem for about 20 minutes of surfing (to be fair it was prob a bit longer than that). At the end of that month my bill of usually £30 had turned into £110. Even broadband is cheaper than that, even dial up in the early days was cheaper, in essence it's the same thing.

With the ever advancing technology available to the providers customers it seems greedy to continue to charge people out of date charges for old technology. T-Mob have the right idea but the signal in my area is non-existent :mad:

To get the most out of any phone these days a PC is a necessity, daft when you think they are now trying to push phones as multi-media devices in their own right.

jman200x
10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
vodafone are introducing some new data packages in june apparantly - but i couldn't wait for that so went to Tmobile for web and walk. also means i can have mobile internet wherever i have reception through my laptop :)

jimbo85
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
O2 have a bolton called blackberry unlimited which gives 75mb of data for 10,providing your plan is 30 pounds or more, they advertise it for bb users but customer sevices will add it on to anyones account.

ajck
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
I have just read in a mobile-industry only forum (so can't post link, sorry) from a leading mobile expert that every operator they speak to is working on flat rate (fixed price), but publicly the operators have to keep it "business as usual". The walls are about to come tumbling down. Just don't get yourself into some contract with a high price data tariff you can't get out of for a while - action will happen in the next few months I suspect.

> T-Mobiles 7 for 1GB (chrsfrwll)

Eh? Web 'n' Walk is 7.50/mth for about 2GB/month, but it's not strictly policed. I used it as my sole broadband connection at home (via an N70) for 3 weeks solid. a.) It was fast enough and b.) The amount or type of downloads were not policed - it just worked.

> Vodafone
As above, I have also heard rumours from various places about this - hopefully they are solid rumours as I work and network in the mobile industry and heard it from official sources :)

> O2
Anyone on O2 should read these:

http://www.smstextnews.com/2007/03/o2_still_screwing_customers_on_mobile_data_idiot_c ustomers_still_paying.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/03/25/cnotwo25.xml
http://www.smstextnews.com/2007/03/ajit_incredible_o2_offers_fixed_rate_pricing_only_ if_you_threaten_to_leave.html

Alex
phonething.com (http://www.phonething.com)

Locoblade
10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
When I called O2 retentions they claimed not to know anything about the data deals in the Telegraph article, even after I'd sent them the link for their line manager to read.

A couple of people on the 3G.co.uk forum have been told seperately by O2 staff (one in a shop and one in retentions) after enquiring about their high data charges that new tariffs and fixed cost data packages are coming by the end of this month. I called retentions to ask about this and the guy I spoke to said he couldnt confirm anything but he certainly didn't deny it or say he hadn't heard anything, so I think they are coming sooner rather than later.

here's hoping, as O2 is about the only provider to offer decent signal in my area!