View Full Version : p990i & secure IMAP

hcooper
07-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Ummh... does the p990i support secure IMAP (IMAPS on port 993)? I really hope I'm just missing an obvious setting somewhere.

Cheers.

Coops.

herm
10-04-2007, 11:12 AM
yes it can connect via ssl (imaps) to a imap server :icon14:
have a nice day!

Dockhead
11-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I just struggled with this today.

Control Panel; Messaging; E-mail accounts then select your e-mail account.

Click on the name of your account in upper left hand corner, then Advanced.

Open Incoming tab, then Secure Connection tab; choose SSL. Don't touch the port setting. Same with Outgoing (if your server requires SSL for outgoing mail).

AFTER THAT, you should be able to get a secure connection. The only problem you might have is the certificate. Without installing a certificate, you can still use your mail, you just have to confirm everytime that you accept the connection despite unknown certificate.

So install the certificate like this: have your network admin e-mail you the certificate but have him or her add a fake extension to it like .txt. Then edit the file name -- remove the fake extension. Then transfer it to the Other file in phone memory using the PC Suite File Manager. Then all you have to do is open the folder using the phone file manager, click on the certificate, and follow the instructions to install it. Presto! Your secure IMAP mail should work like a charm -- mine does.

hcooper
11-04-2007, 08:10 PM
whoo.. that's exactlly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the help!

Update: what extension is the cert meant to have? I've got the cert of the phone but it doesn't recognise what it is.

Dockhead
12-04-2007, 05:14 AM
Mine are .cer, but I think there are some other variants.

ovni
20-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I tried the instructions provided for installing the certificate and despite the .cer extension name, my p990 still insists on opening up the certificate in the quicktext viewer... does anyone know how to combat this? I have been able to install other certificates but not this one.... thanks for your help..