View Full Version : Build quality

rb14
04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I've done a quick video (http://www.brom.me.uk/pix/buildquality.mp4) of the N95 slider in action. Hopefully it will dispel the idea that it is flimsy/weak.

autopilot
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I doubt it. I have one and while its a great phone i am afraid i think it's rather flimsy/week indeed. It's not so bad i would say to not get one, but that rattle does annoy after a while.

imdaShiy
04-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the video rb14, looks like the N95 is significantly better than the N80 in this aspect.

LosOutlandos
04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I've done a quick video (http://www.brom.me.uk/pix/buildquality.mp4) of the N95 slider in action. Hopefully it will dispel the idea that it is flimsy/weak.
that was sexy, thanks!

clive1
04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I doubt it. I have one and while its a great phone i am afraid i think it's rather flimsy/week indeed. It's not so bad i would say to not get one, but that rattle does annoy after a while.

are you sure? i have one and it is in noway flimsy/weak and has no rattles
the slider locks into place and doesnt rattle either

tigernet
05-04-2007, 09:49 AM
...but does the slider have a bit of 'play/movement' to it when open???

Cheers
Nick

clive1
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
all i can say is mine doesnt, it clicks into place and is very tight

unionman
05-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I have just taken delivery of an N95 and agree that the build quality isn't as good as a Sony Ericsson for example. The slider does rattle and I foresee that it will only get worse with age and use.

chrsfrwll
05-04-2007, 09:54 AM
...but does the slider have a bit of 'play/movement' to it when open???

Not mine. Nice and stable when open. There is a little play when closed but I would expect that as the slider takes up the tolerances for movement each way. It's a minute amount though. You tend to feel it rather than see it.

clive1
05-04-2007, 10:03 AM
think some people are never happy and just need something to moan about :rolleyes:

chimaera
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Mine is fine - no play or rattle, slide requires reasonably firm pressure to activate - all in all just about perfect. I am a little concerned about the screen though - doesn't feel hugely well protected, but I've ordered a case for it so should be all good in the long run :)

android_36
05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi all, I took delivery of my n95 this morning from O2. This is my first Nokia for a few years.

The first impression was WOW!! Glad I made the choice to switch....... However the slide mechanism does appear to be poor for the following reasons:
- When slider is in 'home' position there is some play causing rattle whilst pressing keys.
- When slider is in 'keypad' position there is some play from side to side causing a rattle.
- When slider is in 'media player' position there is also some side to side movement.

Having read posts from members such as 'chrsfrwll' and 'chimaera' I'll be taking it into an O2 shop tomorrow to see if it can be replaced with one with no movement as it is rather annoying.

giginger
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Personally I think the build quality is better than the N80. Then N80 felt solid but for some reason never felt like it was good quality. The N95 however whilst a lighter build does feel more reliable. Time will tell.

gsusx
05-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Going to chuck in my 2 penneth worth here

Recieved mine today, from buymobilephones.net, on t-mobile.

It's poor, the right hand side of the phone was really loose and springy and had far to much play on it, also it crashed about 6 times in the 20 mins I was using it.

I'm devastated I've been waiting and championing this phone for months, already i've had to send it back for a replacement.

:(

android_36
17-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi all, I took delivery of my n95 this morning from O2. This is my first Nokia for a few years.

The first impression was WOW!! Glad I made the choice to switch....... However the slide mechanism does appear to be poor for the following reasons:
- When slider is in 'home' position there is some play causing rattle whilst pressing keys.
- When slider is in 'keypad' position there is some play from side to side causing a rattle.
- When slider is in 'media player' position there is also some side to side movement.

Having read posts from members such as 'chrsfrwll' and 'chimaera' I'll be taking it into an O2 shop tomorrow to see if it can be replaced with one with no movement as it is rather annoying.

Just thought I would update on the situation with the slider if anyone is interested.....

O2 have provided a replacement for my 'wobbly' phone, thankfully the new one is perfect! No play, wiggle, or wobble. The slider has a totally different, sturdy feel to it. :icon14: