View Full Version : My little review for P990i

gre99
15-03-2007, 07:46 AM
After using the phone for about a week, here are my thoughts for P990i:

Note: I am using the phone in FO mode since the day I bought the phone.

Pros:
-Nice looking phone. (Consider it's a hi-end business class phone)
-Good quality camera. (Thx to AF)
-QWERTY keyboard feels comfortable. (At least for me)
-The size and weight of the phone are smaller and lighter than I expected.
-The ear piece is quite loud, also good reception for the microphone.
-Lots of softwares for UIQ3.
-Business card scanner is cool.
-Text prediction for handwriting and keyboard mode is nice.
-The screen is build a little deeper into the phone so that your face will not touch the screen when you hold the phone against your ear during phone call. (You know how you lend your phone to someone and it gets all oily after. Eewwww)
-The keyboard's backlight is bright yet warm enough for your eyes to read.
-Decent price.

Cons:
-No voice recording during phone calls. (I hope they will have video recording during 3G video call)
-Can't set password for SMS folder.
-No edit before call. (The normal way)
-No AF during video recording.
-Not enough system memory.
-Slow slow slow menus. (Everything is slow, although I get use to it now, but cmon!... it can do better than that!)
-Applications don't close down properly.
-Wasted 3/4 of the main screen for nothing. (Good for displaying your favorite wallpaper.)
-No standby status light except for miss calls, sms, etc.
-No trash folder for messages. (SMS/MMS)
-Speaker is not loud enough.
-The case feels kinda too plastic.
-Poor battery life. Around 1.5 days.

Although reboot and hang problem can be solved with SMP and TP, I think it's kinda stupid. It's like you bought a Ferrari and you need to install an extra engine and tune it a bit to run smoothly or else it will stall and restart for no reason when you are on the highway. Boo. (And a message pops up saying "Your car has been restarted to improve performance" Wohoo~

Overall, I am pretty satisfy with this phone. I have no regret buying this phone, not like other ppl who sell it and comment the phone as a garbage only bcoz they dunno how to use the phone (or a phone). I will give 8/10 for P990i. Would be 9 if the menu is faster and has more memory.

ChaosFire
15-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E70: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6560/1633; en; U; ssr))

Where did you buy it from and at what price??

gre99
15-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I bought in HK for HK4300 + 1gb MS Pro Duo + FON router.

nj7
15-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for post the mini review. Seems that this phone is just outside of use... nobody seems to use, and I never saw one in reality.:frown:

ares
15-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I just use SMAN right now, not TP and not Swissmanager, donīt have a single auto-reboot since about a month, that when i removed TP (iīm using R4B03 organizer fw). I just use SMAN to flush not used apps (pressing internet button that i choosed fro flush command)...i can easily be 3-4 days without having to manual reboot the phone now.

But i subscrive most of your Cons ;) Hope R5 fw be even better