View Full Version : W950i Bluetooth GPS

huu
16-02-2007, 08:04 AM
TomTom 6.020 now have a version for UIQ3 and work like a dream on the W950i

The set up:
W950i
TomTom Mobile v6.020
Aussie Maps
i-Blue PS 737 Bluetooth GPS Receiver (About $AU100 on ebay)

w*w.mtekk.com.au/Articles/tabid/54/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/758/iblue-PS737-GPS-receiver-Review.aspx

I got the W950i and the TomTom GO 300 side by side for a drive arround for 2 hours and here is the verdict.

1) W950i wont go on Lanscape View (software issues, hopefully tomtom will able to switch mode next update), why better on lanscape - names of streets and places wont get cut off eg Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Harbour etc all you see is just Sydney.......
2) Volume for voice direction is much lower (as you already know for those already use the w950 rear speaker)
3) Traveling speed display (km/h) is a bout 1 sec delay
4) Pain in the ass if it not in the charger, keep putting key lock on and switch display off as expected of the phone so car charger is a must.

Beside from these minor issues the set up is on par with the GO 300 in term of accuracy and speed and works better indoor and undercover. Of course this depend on the GPS Reciever you got.

And another thing i forgot to mention, navigate to phone contacts is unusable, I dont know where it get the contact info from (SIM or Phone or Both) but it show up in some wierd order and multiple times eg show up with lots of John and only one John contain useable address so you end up going through a whole list of John(s) before before it accepts it.

TheOfficeMaven
16-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Actually, TomTom works great in landscape mode on the W950i (or on the M600i or P990i as well). I use it in landscape all the time. The problem is that SE didn't provide a way for the user to easily flip the screen into landscape mode and so it's hard to do.

By default, TomTom will use whatever orientation the screen is in. Therfore, I put TomTom into landscape by tricking it. If you have an app installed that will allow you to flip the screen into landscape orientation (such as DocumentsToGo, QuickOffice, etc.), then you can do it as follows:

1) Open TomTom v6 and then close it so it appears in the Task Manager's rescent programs list.

2) Open QuickOffice, go to the drop down menu and select Landscape.

NOTE: The W950 doesn't include QuickOffice like the P990 and M600 does. Thus, you can use DocumentsToGo instead if you have it.

The only thing to note is that in DocumentsToGo, you have to open up an actual document before you can rotate the screen into landscape mode.

3) Once in landscape view, select the dropdown menu again and choose the task manager (which will now come up in landscape mode).

4) Open TomTom from the recent programs list of the task manager.

The initial screen will look cut in half, but the app will open perfectly in WIDESCREEN!

BTW, I take no credit for this. It was deicovered by another user over on Esato.

I hope this helps some.

uniquestar
13-11-2007, 05:16 PM
you can also do this by opening up the in-built web browser.

rudeboymcc
04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
ive just tried it. but when i open the internet, put it in landscape mode, and click on the white box to select task manager, task manager opens up in portrait mode. so when i open tomtom from that it thinks it's portrait so opens normally.

how come your task manger oepns up landscape?

Ungjaevel
09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
"4) Pain in the ass if it not in the charger, keep putting key lock on and switch display off as expected of the phone so car charger is a must."

Anyone got solution to this?

Yeah yeah I've got a car charger but want to be able to use it without...