View Full Version : Ask any N95 questions - I'll do my best to answer. (NOTE: old thread.)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rafe
24-01-2007, 11:15 PM
So if you got any questions about the Nokia N95 I'll do my best to answer as we go in this thread.

You can also read the N95 preview here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Nokia_N95_First_Impressions.php

nj7
24-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks Rafe.
1. Where are the maps for GPS and how it works? Who is the provider of that maps, Navigon or Teleatlas? For what you said, is kind Wayfinder, with data connection and search on-line for maps? Is a free service or a pay one?
2. Battery life? Like N80, I suppose!
3. Photo quality, any improvements, or only more pixels?

ratza
25-01-2007, 08:27 AM
1. Can the inbuilt GPS work with other SW like TomTom, Route66 etc ?
2. Battery life under normal usage (calls, music, browsing, taking pictures/videos) - I don't keep my phone on the drawer ;)
3. How sensitive is the WiFi, does it work at 50-80 meters from the router ?
4. How muck is the price without contract ?
5. Can the music keys be assigned to OggPlayer ?

Rafe
25-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Rafe.
1. Where are the maps for GPS and how it works? Who is the provider of that maps, Navigon or Teleatlas? For what you said, is kind Wayfinder, with data connection and search on-line for maps? Is a free service or a pay one?
2. Battery life? Like N80, I suppose!
3. Photo quality, any improvements, or only more pixels?

1. The data comes from TeleAtlas. Yes it is like Wayfinder and other GPS software. Maps and toute planning happen over the air (so you may want a decent data plan, though it does cache stuff locally too). The service is free (outside of operator data charges.

2. Battery life - too early too tell, but was pleasant surprised how well it did when I had eveything going for some time (Bluetooth, WLAN, GPRS (on and off) and GPS). We'll see, but yes I think its a charge every night device.

1. Can the inbuilt GPS work with other SW like TomTom, Route66 etc ?
2. Battery life under normal usage (calls, music, browsing, taking pictures/videos) - I don't keep my phone on the drawer ;)
3. How sensitive is the WiFi, does it work at 50-80 meters from the router ?
4. How muck is the price without contract ?
5. Can the music keys be assigned to OggPlayer ?

1. Yes if they use the S60 location APIs. However I imagine the third party software may need to do some tweaks for feature pack 1 and to support the GPS. In summary its accessible to third parties, not sure if it works now. Will try and check this.
2. See above.
3. WiFi seems good so far. Will test this more later.
4. Around 550 Euro. Thats £360 approx.
5. Haven't tested that yet, but probably not without third party software.

NeilA
25-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the preview Rafe... few more questions for you:

How much free RAM is there on start up?

How is the keypad compared to the fab one on the N93?

Do you think the internal GPS receiver is any less powerful than a standard external GPS?

What's the firmware version?

I presume the remote control has a standard headphone socket?

thanks
Neil

nj7
25-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Another preview / review here: http://www.xonio.com/artikel/x_artikel_22102295.html
And photos from N95 (from Rafe) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafeblandford/sets/72157594497769867/detail/
Not exactly great technical quality photos (my opinion) - maybe only more pixels to fill the card, and the same as N73:frown:

ridin8ude
25-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Simple question:
Any chance the N95 supports or will support Blackberry push email functionality?

I know it's greedy to want it cuz the phone does everything else.

But I'd rather have this than the E70, but I need the email functionality so...

vaibhav_law
25-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Also it'll b great if u could tell us about the youtube functionality. Does it work?

elaverick
25-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Does the SIP client on this phone allow you to configure STUN or other NAT traversal protocols from the interface or is it all hidden as on the N80IE?

If the phone comes with a seperate 3.5mm jack for the audio can we assume that this is a mini-USB device rather than a Pop Port one?

And a bit trivial I know but is there a sensible door on the microUSB slot or is it another flappy bit of plastic like on the N80? For that matter what's the build quality like in general... is there much play in the slide? Does it feel plasticy or is it a bit more robust?

Thanks

Liquid_Li0n
25-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Can you use the FM radio without plugging in the headset cable first?
What kind of microSD do you get with the phone?

Then a more important question:
- Hows the shutterlag of the camera normal and night mode? And how is the flash, is it still blue, like on the N70 or a real white flash (btw shutterlag from N70 is really slow)

- What about the interface? Is it still a bit slow like the other symbian devices. I mean when you boot up the phone and you press the menu key it takes a while to show the grid (can you also choose for a list view of the icons?)

Those are the question for know, when I have more question I know where to find you friend

let us know
greetz :-)

Super Chimp
25-01-2007, 10:42 PM
What is the screen like-how does it compare to the N93 screen, I have concerned at QVGA on such a large screen size?

What is the keyboard like to use? I had hand to send my N73 back because I found the keypad too painful to use. I have had no such issues with the N80 or N93 but I am slightly concerned by the N95 keypad as it looks a bit like the cramped N73 keypad.

Seems like a good price much, much lower than I paid for my N93. With UK tax I suppose it will be £400 or so when it first appears.

Rafe
26-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I've now answered many questions here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/N95-Your_questions_answered.php

I have not answered all of them, but will get to them as I can. I've combined similar questions together.

Rafe

Super Chimp
26-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for answering my questions. I am concerned that you say we will see it on contract first & that it will be while before we see it SIM free in the UK as both my contracts are not due for an upgrade for sometime. I thought when a phone appeared SIM free had no relation to when it appeared on contract?

FlamingPumpkin
26-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Hello.
What happens when you launch "Camera" application from menu in landscape mode, when the 5MP shutter is closed? Could you please make a screeshot of such situation please?
Thanks

raduci
26-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Is there any information that N95 may support Blackberry connect ?
Can you check that by installing the Blackberry connect client from Nokia ?
h**p://vvv.businesssoftware.nokia.com/blackberry_downloads.php
It's just a hope ....
Thank You very much !

phattrance
26-01-2007, 09:12 PM
is there any glitch between the slides? like nokia the annoying one on the nokia 6280?

Liquid_Li0n
27-01-2007, 02:51 AM
How's the FM radio and can you record from it?
How is the quality from the front camera, it is VGA or better?

Super Chimp
27-01-2007, 08:53 AM
The N93 is currently the fastest smartphone have you run any tests to see how the N95 compares to it?

LosOutlandos
27-01-2007, 01:01 PM
this (http://www.jbenchmark.com/result.jsp) might be a good test to evaluate speed.

Crumbles
28-01-2007, 03:03 AM
I have heard that the N95 will not be able to use the 3g network in the US, however, will it still be able to use the EDGE (EGRPS) network in the US? It may not be as fast as 3G, but it's better than nothing! Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Super Chimp
28-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I have heard that the N95 will not be able to use the 3g network in the US, however, will it still be able to use the EDGE (EGRPS) network in the US? It may not be as fast as 3G, but it's better than nothing! Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the N95 is not designed for use in the US nor will it be released in the US. Apparently the US will get a phone 'like' the N95 at some point this year.

Crumbles
29-01-2007, 12:05 AM
As far as I know the N95 is not designed for use in the US nor will it be released in the US. Apparently the US will get a phone 'like' the N95 at some point this year.Yes, we all know the N95 wasn't made for the US. That doesn't mean it won't work here on our networks. Hence the phone using 850Mhz. The N95 also says it supports EGPRS (EDGE,) so, what I'm asking, is can it use the EDGE in the US.

Does anyone else who knows what they are talking about have the answer?

JezzzJ
29-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I think I read somewhere that the N95 would come with a built-in GPS-A rather than the standard GPS. Is this true, and if so when can this version be expected to be released?

Rafe
29-01-2007, 10:00 AM
FAQ has now been updated:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/N95-Your_questions_answered.php

nj7
29-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Good job the FAQ! We post the questions and you post the answers! Good idea and simple to read:icon14:

Super Chimp
29-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, we all know the N95 wasn't made for the US. That doesn't mean it won't work here on our networks. Hence the phone using 850Mhz. The N95 also says it supports EGPRS (EDGE,) so, what I'm asking, is can it use the EDGE in the US.

Rather than being so rude why don't you show some patience & see if Rafe answers your question!

Rafe
29-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, we all know the N95 wasn't made for the US. That doesn't mean it won't work here on our networks. Hence the phone using 850Mhz. The N95 also says it supports EGPRS (EDGE,) so, what I'm asking, is can it use the EDGE in the US.

I've now answered this but to avoid any more problems ;) the answer is yes it will work.

uamadei
29-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi
Just a question about the N95 keyboard.
When the phone is landscape orientation and, for istance, I'm using the browser and I need to input same information, may I open the keyboard and use it?
Whta's happen, the orientation turn to portrait or it is possible keep landscape on? Is there a "virtual" keyboard ?

Thanks for your reply.

U.Amadei

LosOutlandos
29-01-2007, 02:32 PM
afaik, when sliding up to gain access to the keypad the phone automatically switches to portrait mode so you can read what you're typing. since there's no touchscreen a virtual keyboard makes no sense.

uamadei
29-01-2007, 03:01 PM
afaik, when sliding up to gain access to the keypad the phone automatically switches to portrait mode so you can read what you're typing. since there's no touchscreen a virtual keyboard makes no sense.

Yes, I known but I think It's annoying when you have to write several words.
Furthermore, the landscape is more large and more usable.
Anyway, is just to know what happen.

Thanks

LosOutlandos
29-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Yes, I known but I think It's annoying when you have to write several words.
Furthermore, the landscape is more large and more usable.
Anyway, is just to know what happen.

Thanks

i don't think i know what you mean. when sliding up to enter text via the keyboard, the phone switches to portrait mode because you re holding the device vertically to type. the switching of display modes takes about 1 sec based on what i ve seen. after you finish entering text, just slide it back up and you re in landscape again, voila! while i agree that landscape will be favourable while browsing, when entering text i just dont see the problem with portrait when switching is almost instantly.

TomJ
29-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Answer to JezzzJ's earlier question: NOkia's product page says it is A-GPS. http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N95

Now my question: Does it support AVRCP to complement the A2DP?

xOrangeFirex
29-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I live in america, and was, untill recently, planning to get the n73 and then buy the n95 whenever i could get to it, but with the information that its comming out relativly soon I wanted to know how long would you think it would take for me to be able to buy one in america?

Super Chimp
29-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I've now answered this but to avoid any more problems ;) the answer is yes it will work.

Thanks. I suspected it would but I would rather someone who actually had the phone answered that question. :)

Satish
30-01-2007, 12:45 PM
According to the specs,the Nokia N95 has no optical zoom.What is optical zoom?? From my understanding without optical zoom , you are unable to zoom in on pictures after you have snapped them.Is this correct and true??

Satish
30-01-2007, 12:50 PM
How is the sound quality of this phone and may I have a picture comparison of the N95 with a Nokia 6680?

TomJ
30-01-2007, 02:11 PM
According to the specs,the Nokia N95 has no optical zoom.What is optical zoom??

Optical zoom does exactly what it says on the tin; zooms in using optical methods. That is to say, by moving lenses to change the way light reaches the photographic recording surface (film or, in the case of digital cameras, CCD) it makes a small area of the subject fill the entire area of the picture. Digital zoom, by contrast, makes the picture seem bigger by interpolating between the CCD's cells, making, in effect, a best guess. Hence optical zoom is much better at preserving clarit and detail.

From my understanding without optical zoom , you are unable to zoom in on pictures after you have snapped them.Is this correct and true??

No; optical zoom happens before the picure is captures. Once it is saved you can play with it as you will with software, and I assume the N95 will allow you to change the displayed size of captured images; if it doesn't, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't, it's a software limitation and nothing to do with optical zoom.

Ratkat
30-01-2007, 08:41 PM
1 - Does the N95 display email messages on the Active Display Screen(like the E Series)?

2 - Does the N95 have the WLAN Scanning on Active Display Screen(like the N80IE)?

3 - When you are you WLAN does it repeatedly ask you to connect when using different apps, for example, you are browsing on the web, you switch to the email app to check your emails, does it just check the emails or does it (like the N80) fail to realise you are already connected and ask you to connect again? (also does this when using web feeds on the N80), not a huge problem but still annoying.

4 - In your opinion how does the screen look when compared to the the 352 x 416 of the N80, E70 etc

jessej
01-02-2007, 01:10 AM
I have an N73 and often when I try to zoom on an image in the Image browser it comes up with a message stating that memory is full and I have to close an application...of course there are none open other than image browser...does this happen on the N95?

nj7
01-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Unboxing of the N95, with a great manual and CD:tongue:
http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/2007/01/unboxing_the_no.html

ratza
01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah.... great manual (6680) and CD (N70). Nothing to say about the comments of the guy who was talking, it looked like it was his first Symbian... I mean how stupid you can be to have a N93 and not to manage another Symbian without user manual? Damn it, even my N70 has inbuilt help :cool:

Liquid_Li0n
01-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I never read any manual of the phones or pda's I got, I just play with it and lurn it that way.
You don't read a manual before using windows though so why here with symbian...

Liquid_Li0n
01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
And now regarding the topic:

Browser

I was wondering about the browser, I read that the servicebrowser and webbrowser is now 2in1 so I was wondering if you can finally save pictures etc. Because that was only possible in the servicebrowser.
I also like to know if they got a better find function. Like CTRL+F in Internet Explorer where you just type something and it searches the page.
And what about browsing, is it possible to open more windows? at the same time? Because now it doesn't to that unless you press a link on the site that is scripted with "target=_blank"

USB related

I read you cannot charge the phone via usb, do you think that will be possible with a firmware upgrade, a BlackBerry, PDA, MP3-players and other devices can be charged using usb though.
Can you use the mini USB port also for other applications or tools?

menhel
01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Please can you get a comparasion shot comparing with N73

Much appreciated

m1cke
01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I wonder if it supports FAT32 (so we know if we can use them 4GB cards)
Could you format your memorycard to FAT32 and try if it works?

CellularMania
03-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Look the manual when he open the box is of 6680 Italian MANUAL !!!! incredible nowone see this ????

m1cke
03-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I think everybody exept the guy in the video saw that.. I'ts been discussed at many forums..

Super Chimp
04-02-2007, 09:40 AM
What is the phone like overall surfing the internet? Are their any problems displaying pages, any sudden crashes etc?

mackarus
04-02-2007, 04:20 PM
When I played with a prototype Nokia N95 at the Nokia Store NY, I noticed that when taking pictures and video in horizontal mode and then switch to vertical, the sensor automatically switched. Rafe: Is that the case with the N95 you received?

TomJ
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
A quick question about the GPS maps; is it possible to add or download custom Points of Interest; one which springs immediately to mind is speed camera locations...

vichua77
13-02-2007, 04:42 AM
I have learn much from this thread. I have been using PDA all this while . My question is how is it compare to using Office application with window mobile. Editing words or excel is very easy with the stylus. Does N95 allow using stylus for editing or juz by using keypad.

m1cke
13-02-2007, 09:43 AM
N95 does not have a touchscreen, so no stylus...

vichua77
13-02-2007, 03:55 PM
so this mean it's tough doing editing for excel or words.:con?

nj7
13-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Not exactly. A notebook is not also touch screen, and is easy work well with Excel or Word. Because they have a mouse, like N95, also have a mouse - joystick.

vichua77
14-02-2007, 01:17 AM
maybe need sometime to get use to it. Been using PDA for sometime , using spreadsheet is a breeze. Probably i will take a look at the phone and play around the features first.

Super Chimp
17-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Does the N95 have continuous AF on shooting videos like the production models of the N93i have? Or is this something we will have to wait for the production versions of the N95 to see if it has this feature.

Cehtna
18-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Can you put the mp3-files anywhere on the phone,
or does it have to be a specific folder?

Does the mp3 playback use a lot of batterypower,
can you do a test with continious mp3 playback?

Can I install the map of Germany on the memory card from the CD or download them from the internet and keep them on my memory card? I ask because data rates are much cheaper in the home network than when roaming, if I plan a trip to Germany, I want to install the maps before I go there..

ratza
19-02-2007, 01:44 PM
You can download the maps from www.smart2go.com for free, using Nokia's map dowloader from the site. I'm sorry there's no version for S60 2nd edition, I would've used the maps in offline mode.

hatighora
20-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Are there any TTS apps that can be installed to use it with the N95 gps to give text to speech capabilities for saying street names?

Also I think they should give voice instructions for free, because if you pay for service, it makes more sense to buy a gps device that cost 200 dollars for life.

tinwetari
20-02-2007, 10:46 PM
and how about the new themes? i love the theme of the review, its fantastic!! Could you extract it and share with us? Thanks;) :icon14:

hatighora
21-02-2007, 03:17 PM
what happens when you insert a 4 gb microSD card into a phone that supports upto 2gb microSD card?

catnamedog
23-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Rafe
I've recently returned a SE W950i (see post), and wondered if Nokia had any intentions of developing the A2DP aspects of phones such as the N95?
It seems to me that the truly integrated comms/entertainment package for the car could be achieved using A2DP.
Would you car to comment or predict?
Thanks.

erehman
26-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Rafe, I must admire your efforts to satisfy all of us in terms of your experience with N95. Its my dream to have this phone. But one thing which is bothering me is the dim lighting condition in its video. The videos of N93 seems more bright and crisp as compared to to those shot with N95. Tell me is it possible to adjust the default settings to improve lighting conditions in videos. And secondly tell me please is it possible to shoot a video in CIF or QCIF formats with 30fps. Do the pictures taken with N95's 5mp camera are of the quality equivalent to digital cameras. Is its macro mode good enough to be used as scanner?
And last question for this session! Do you know the exact date when this phopne will be available in market?
Thanks in advance for you cooperation.

Rafe
26-02-2007, 08:18 PM
what happens when you insert a 4 gb microSD card into a phone that supports upto 2gb microSD card?

It may work, haven't tried this myself. Past experience suggest provided its not a different format (e.g. SDHC) then it should work

Hi Rafe
I've recently returned a SE W950i (see post), and wondered if Nokia had any intentions of developing the A2DP aspects of phones such as the N95?
It seems to me that the truly integrated comms/entertainment package for the car could be achieved using A2DP.
Would you car to comment or predict?
Thanks.

The N95 has full support for A2DP. This basically means it can use any bluetooth stereo audio accessories. Worked fine with the Sony Ericsson headset I tried.

Rafe, I must admire your efforts to satisfy all of us in terms of your experience with N95. Its my dream to have this phone. But one thing which is bothering me is the dim lighting condition in its video. The videos of N93 seems more bright and crisp as compared to to those shot with N95. Tell me is it possible to adjust the default settings to improve lighting conditions in videos. And secondly tell me please is it possible to shoot a video in CIF or QCIF formats with 30fps. Do the pictures taken with N95's 5mp camera are of the quality equivalent to digital cameras. Is its macro mode good enough to be used as scanner?
And last question for this session! Do you know the exact date when this phopne will be available in market?
Thanks in advance for you cooperation.

You can fiddle with the settings a bit. Its difficult to comment fully as final software is not out yet. Yes you can shoot videos at lower resolutions (e.g. for MMS), not sure of the frame rate though.

Macro mode is supported, I'm not sure its good enough for a scanner, but should be ok to photo docs etc.

The phone will be available late March / early April.

Rafe
26-02-2007, 08:23 PM
What is the phone like overall surfing the internet? Are their any problems displaying pages, any sudden crashes etc?

Its been OK for me. I do tend to stick to a relatively small subset on sites though. Much the same as the N93 for me, though the browser is faster and seems to use less memory.

When I played with a prototype Nokia N95 at the Nokia Store NY, I noticed that when taking pictures and video in horizontal mode and then switch to vertical, the sensor automatically switched. Rafe: Is that the case with the N95 you received?

I think I understand you, and the answer is yes.

A quick question about the GPS maps; is it possible to add or download custom Points of Interest; one which springs immediately to mind is speed camera locations...

Yes, though you would have to add these one by one which might get annoying. I am fairly sure traffic cameras will be available as a premium add on sooner or later.

Does the N95 have continuous AF on shooting videos like the production models of the N93i have? Or is this something we will have to wait for the production versions of the N95 to see if it has this feature.

No continuous AF on the one i have.

Can you put the mp3-files anywhere on the phone,
or does it have to be a specific folder?

Does the mp3 playback use a lot of batterypower,
can you do a test with continious mp3 playback?

Can I install the map of Germany on the memory card from the CD or download them from the internet and keep them on my memory card? I ask because data rates are much cheaper in the home network than when roaming, if I plan a trip to Germany, I want to install the maps before I go there..

Yes MP£ files can go anywhere, but it makes sense to keep them to the sounds folders. No MP3 doesn't drain the battery that badly.

Yes you can install the map of Germany to the phone. I've done so for the UK and a few other European countries.

Rafe
26-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I live in america, and was, untill recently, planning to get the n73 and then buy the n95 whenever i could get to it, but with the information that its comming out relativly soon I wanted to know how long would you think it would take for me to be able to buy one in america?

I imagine it will be available via importers quite soon (or from Nokia flagship stores), other than that I don't know.

According to the specs,the Nokia N95 has no optical zoom.What is optical zoom?? From my understanding without optical zoom , you are unable to zoom in on pictures after you have snapped them.Is this correct and true??

Optical zoom is done using optics at capture. You can still zoom into the picture after it is taken. The other zoom you hear about is digital - this is done in software and to be honest is a bit useless.

How is the sound quality of this phone and may I have a picture comparison of the N95 with a Nokia 6680?

Sound quality has been excellent for me. I'll try and find the 6680 for a comparison picture.

1 - Does the N95 display email messages on the Active Display Screen(like the E Series)?

2 - Does the N95 have the WLAN Scanning on Active Display Screen(like the N80IE)?

3 - When you are you WLAN does it repeatedly ask you to connect when using different apps, for example, you are browsing on the web, you switch to the email app to check your emails, does it just check the emails or does it (like the N80) fail to realise you are already connected and ask you to connect again? (also does this when using web feeds on the N80), not a huge problem but still annoying.

4 - In your opinion how does the screen look when compared to the the 352 x 416 of the N80, E70 etc

1. I don't think so.
2. Yes.
3. I haven't seen this happen, it does do this if no connection is currently being used.
3. Its not as good, but its not a major issue for me. I happier to have a physically bigger screen.

And now regarding the topic:

Browser

I was wondering about the browser, I read that the servicebrowser and webbrowser is now 2in1 so I was wondering if you can finally save pictures etc. Because that was only possible in the servicebrowser.
I also like to know if they got a better find function. Like CTRL+F in Internet Explorer where you just type something and it searches the page.
And what about browsing, is it possible to open more windows? at the same time? Because now it doesn't to that unless you press a link on the site that is scripted with "target=_blank"

USB related

I read you cannot charge the phone via usb, do you think that will be possible with a firmware upgrade, a BlackBerry, PDA, MP3-players and other devices can be charged using usb though.
Can you use the mini USB port also for other applications or tools?

Will check browser as not sure. Yes you have a search in page feature. I don't think a firmware update will allow charging by USB. I'm not sure it is possible. MiniUSB

m1cke
26-02-2007, 09:39 PM
If you record video on the highest res and then want to send it in a MMS, can it resize the video to "fit" in an MMS?

(Havent used any Series 60 before, so sorry if it's a stupid question)

Super Chimp
26-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info Rafe. Does it have the WLAN wizard on the active standby screen like my N93 has since Nokia upgraded the firmware to V20?

Also is the music player as good as or better than the N93 music player?

Rafe
27-02-2007, 10:15 AM
The WLAN Wizard is on the active standy by on mine (early software disclaimer etc etc)

Music player is the same or very similar compared to N93.

zbounce
28-02-2007, 10:33 PM
i am soooooo tired of waiting for this phone!! when will it be for sale?
my n70 bit the dust 2 months ago. n95 was supposed to be released in jan, but i am still waiting. any idea's?
tim

nj7
01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
According to Nokia, 1st Quarter, so is already on delay. Wait until the end of month.

erehman
01-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi Rafe! Please tell me does N95 has stereo microphones? I mean does it record stereo sound in video shooting like N93i?

m1cke
01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Rafe! Please tell me does N95 has stereo microphones? I mean does it record stereo sound in video shooting like N93i?

No, only Mono there..
From the sample videos I have seen the audio is quite good, but not in stereo though..

timbian
02-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Can you tell me please if it is at all possible whilst using the GPS to make a call with a bluetooth connected car headunit?

bras4real
02-03-2007, 08:14 PM
The N95 is equiped with TFT screen, because of its larger screen size compared to the N93 how is the pixelation

bras4real
02-03-2007, 08:15 PM
The N95 is equiped with QVGA screen, because of its larger screen size compared to for example the N93, isn' t the screen pixelatedt?

did you try and play any 3gp video playback how is the quality?

tbj77
04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Can anyone confirm when the N95 will be available in UK? Is it available already? I was told mid March.......:)

erehman
07-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi Rafe!
Please tell me can we quick forward or rewind a movie, or play with speed X2, X4 or X8 on N95 video player. Or can we skip to go and see some particular part of a movie. With my current Nokia 6681, if I upload a long movie clip, say half hour, from my PC, and if I want to see the last few minutes of that movie, then I have no choice to go straight to the last part. I have to see all the movie in one go. Is the same type of limitation there in N95 or it has been improved.

Locoblade
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi All

Could anyone answer me the following couple of questions please:

1) Does the N95 have proper multiple alarm functionality with multiple alarms and allowing you to specify them to repeat only on weekdays / once per week etc, or is it the same as older S60s like my N70 with a single unconfigurable alarm? On my N70 I use a 3rd party alarm app which works quite well, but obviously it would be nice to have it built in.

2) Does the N95 have a password protected "safe" type application built in, to keep confidential information secure? i.e. something like Handy Safe which I currently have, but built in like most non Symbian Nokias have? Again the pricing on HandySafe (particularly for S60 3rd gen) seems to have risen considerably since I purchased it for the N70 :(

To update on the availablity, I contacted O2 and also a T-Mobile distributor today and both said availability from 1st week in April. Im glad Ive joined the N95 bandwagon quite late because waiting a month (fingers crossed) will be bad enough!!

cheers

Chris

erehman
09-03-2007, 04:18 AM
I was watching "unboxing the N95" video on internet, don't remember the site, but what hurt me, and rather i was worried to see, is that when the man showed its CD, I saw Nokia N70 written on it which mean that CD of Nokia N70 is included in the N95 sales package. And next when he showed the manual book in the movie, it was of Nokia 6680. I don't know whether Nokia has included the CD of N70 and manual of 6680 in the sales package of N95. Can you tell me did you notice this while physically unboxing the N95?

pseudofinn
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Odd that the 6680 manual would be included in the N95 pre-production package, but I assume the N70 cd was sent because the PC software is the same, or not very different than what will be shipped with the N95... but to assume that these items will be in the sales package of the N95 is a little silly.

BTW- Unboxing the N95 was a Steve Garfield video. Thanks and credit go to him. He mentioned on 1/27 that he had later been sent an N95 manual. I assume neither the N95 manual or CD were printed yet.

lecutis
10-03-2007, 12:21 AM
I saw this mentioned in the tech specs on the nokia website, does anyone know what is meant by it?

I am looking to move to a symbian device and the N95 looks perfect but I use Exchange Active sync on my current device all the time and could not work without it, I see that Nokia provides Mail for Exchange for E series devices but have read that it does not work on the N series.

capitaine
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM
It means you can update the firmware over the air... no need for Nokia Software Updater via pc!

nj7
10-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Active Sync is not for firmware upgrade...

Alex Lebowski
13-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Hello,
I´m from Czech Republic, so please forgive my english, I don´t use it frequently... :)

I´m quite decided to buy N95 because of its functions. I´ve read a few forums in czech, but there are no people with REAL experiences of using the phone.

So I´ll be glad if someone could answer me some questions, which I didn´t find anywhere where I searched. So:

1) GPS: I found some photos and videos about "how it works", and there are only 2D views of maps. I´ve read that N95 can show 3D perspective, like single GPS modules.

2) DRM - I don´t mean to download music or video from internet (using N95), but I´d like to know if the phone will allow me to play or share MP3s or video files from my PC (which are not protected by DRM, indeed :) ) without any complications...

3) I´ve noticed that there is a memory card included in the package. How is capacity of it?

Thanks, have a nice day...
Alex

nj7
13-03-2007, 09:13 AM
1. Yes, is also 3D. If you have another S60v3 device you can try already, with Smart2Go software.

2. Yes, like others also.

3. Depends from region of sell - could be without card or with another size. But don´t expect anything special...

CameronM
14-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Quick question....I live in New Zealand. Yes, down the bottom of the globe :) Any ideas when this phone will be reaching our shelves?

sobrique
16-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Fairly simple question, I'm considering getting hold of one of those lovely laser keyboards. I was just wondering if such would work with one of these, and ... well more generally if there's much point.

Zmurphen
17-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Hello

I wonder if you can use the flash LED as a flashlight?

(I currently use my k750i as a flashlight where the led can be active for as long as you want)

Brgds... /Zmurphen

sobrique
19-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Can anyone confirm when the N95 will be available in UK? Is it available already? I was told mid March.......:)

Vodafone first level customer support guy, told me April 9th when I phoned over the weekend. No pricing available until release.

Super Chimp
21-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Rafe when you receive your production standard N95 would it be possible for you to give a full run down on the build quality of the phone, covering all areas but especially the slider?

It's just after being burnt over my N93 which was from the first batch of N93's to hit the UK I am concerned to avoid such issues again so your report on this issue would be much appreciated.

Zmurphen
22-03-2007, 04:27 PM
N95 starts shipping now!
h t t p : / / w w w . n o k i a . c o m / A 4 1 3 6 0 0 1 ? n e w s i d = 1 1 1 3 5 3 3

(sorry about all the spaces in the link, but apparently I need to make more posts before I'm allowed to post links.

exlixx
26-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi there,

I sincerely request you to check for me one thing. Could you please go to: Tools -> App Manager -> Options -> Settings.

From there, could you please advise whether there is an option to change the 'Software Instalation' from 'Signed Only' to 'All'.

Thank you so much.

exlixx

jmcconville
26-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Can anyone tell me what features will or will not work in the U.S. From what I've gathered, the video conferencing will not work, and the network speed will not be optimal.

Are those the only things I give up?
Do I lose any bluetooth profiles or any other connectivity options?
Are maps available for US? Kansas City?
Will video conferencing work in the near future with the current phone?
Will there be a release of the phone in which video conferencing does work in the U.S, in the near (30-60 days) future?

Thanks for the help,
Jim

ChrisNZ
28-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Rafe,

Could you tell me about language support in the N95? Particularly T9 text messaging support? Most Nokia phones purchased here in New Zealand (or around Asia) have support for English plus a few other asian languages like Indonesian.

I would like to text using predictive texting in european languages (French etc). Does this mean I have to buy a N95 from a european source or can you load other languages onto the phone?

Thanks.

Rafe
28-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Can you tell me please if it is at all possible whilst using the GPS to make a call with a bluetooth connected car headunit?

Yes it is.

The N95 is equiped with TFT screen, because of its larger screen size compared to the N93 how is the pixelation

Not too bad, but more noticeable than on small screens.

Rafe
28-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi Rafe!
Please tell me can we quick forward or rewind a movie, or play with speed X2, X4 or X8 on N95 video player. Or can we skip to go and see some particular part of a movie. With my current Nokia 6681, if I upload a long movie clip, say half hour, from my PC, and if I want to see the last few minutes of that movie, then I have no choice to go straight to the last part. I have to see all the movie in one go. Is the same type of limitation there in N95 or it has been improved.

You can fast forward / rewind but I think its just one speed.

Hi All

Could anyone answer me the following couple of questions please:

1) Does the N95 have proper multiple alarm functionality with multiple alarms and allowing you to specify them to repeat only on weekdays / once per week etc, or is it the same as older S60s like my N70 with a single unconfigurable alarm? On my N70 I use a 3rd party alarm app which works quite well, but obviously it would be nice to have it built in.

2) Does the N95 have a password protected "safe" type application built in, to keep confidential information secure? i.e. something like Handy Safe which I currently have, but built in like most non Symbian Nokias have? Again the pricing on HandySafe (particularly for S60 3rd gen) seems to have risen considerably since I purchased it for the N70 :(

To update on the availablity, I contacted O2 and also a T-Mobile distributor today and both said availability from 1st week in April. Im glad Ive joined the N95 bandwagon quite late because waiting a month (fingers crossed) will be bad enough!!

cheers

Chris

No safe application. Alarm is better, multiple alarms etc.

I saw this mentioned in the tech specs on the nokia website, does anyone know what is meant by it?

I am looking to move to a symbian device and the N95 looks perfect but I use Exchange Active sync on my current device all the time and could not work without it, I see that Nokia provides Mail for Exchange for E series devices but have read that it does not work on the N series.

You would need to use RoadSync from DataViz. Officially the Eseries version do not work on the Nsers, though some people have them working on N73 etc.

Quick question....I live in New Zealand. Yes, down the bottom of the globe :) Any ideas when this phone will be reaching our shelves?

April ish (nothing specific - sorry)

Fairly simple question, I'm considering getting hold of one of those lovely laser keyboards. I was just wondering if such would work with one of these, and ... well more generally if there's much point.

Yes it should be fine.

Hello

I wonder if you can use the flash LED as a flashlight?

(I currently use my k750i as a flashlight where the led can be active for as long as you want)

Brgds... /Zmurphen

yes with third party software (though I've not tested myself)

Rafe
28-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi Rafe,

Could you tell me about language support in the N95? Particularly T9 text messaging support? Most Nokia phones purchased here in New Zealand (or around Asia) have support for English plus a few other asian languages like Indonesian.

I would like to text using predictive texting in european languages (French etc). Does this mean I have to buy a N95 from a european source or can you load other languages onto the phone?

Thanks.

I'll try and remember to post something about this. Thus far experience has been very good.

Can anyone tell me what features will or will not work in the U.S. From what I've gathered, the video conferencing will not work, and the network speed will not be optimal.

Are those the only things I give up?
Do I lose any bluetooth profiles or any other connectivity options?
Are maps available for US? Kansas City?
Will video conferencing work in the near future with the current phone?
Will there be a release of the phone in which video conferencing does work in the U.S, in the near (30-60 days) future?

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Thats right video and network speed. You wont lose anything else. There may be a US version in due course [Q2], but there are no details on that yet (its possible it could be different and not have Wifi like the e61 / e62.

Hi there,

I sincerely request you to check for me one thing. Could you please go to: Tools -> App Manager -> Options -> Settings.

From there, could you please advise whether there is an option to change the 'Software Instalation' from 'Signed Only' to 'All'.

Thank you so much.

exlixx

Yes. In fact it is set to all by default.

Super Chimp
28-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Rafe no comments on the build quality? As I most interested in hearing about this.

Pity to hear the screen does suffer from pixelation, I suppose it's to be expected on such a big screen.

Rafe
28-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Opps sorry I meant to add something.

The N95 I have seems fine, but I always think its a bit difficult to judge until you actually used it for a while. I always find slides feel a bit flimsy - they tend to have a bit of give. But the N95 is certainly no worse than the N80 - I'd say better as less spongy. It does feel fragile, but thats subjective. The bottom part though feels rock solid...

Its also worth noting that mine is not necessairly in the same batch as the first UK ones.

I have (already) manged to drop it once or twice and no ill effects so far (onto carpet).

Pixelation is in the eye on the beholder - depends how close you are to the screen. It way better than the old 176x208 screen as even that was never that bad.

howzaat
29-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi..

This is all going to sound dumb but i wanna know.. With the GPS in the N95.. or with any phone for that matter how does the GPS work..

1. How exactly does it work?
2. Where do you get the maps from.
3. Do you have to pay for it... ie does GPS use the internet :|:| I have no idea :(
2. If so what sort of price are we looking at?

Thanks for your help!

Btw i know there has been some discussion about it.. But do you think 3 will do the No cost for the handset on say the $99 cap, $129 or $149 (or you think they will still charge a handset cost?)

Locoblade
29-03-2007, 08:00 AM
GPS works by receiving signals from a set of satellites originally launched by the US militiary to determine your position on the Earth. Its free for anyone to use, see Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System) for more detailed info.

Ive not used the software yet but this is what I understand.....

The maps on the N95 come via Smart2Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System), which is owned by Nokia now. The maps are all free to download through your PC onto your mobile in bulk beforehand, and also free to download direct to your mobile via GPRS / WAP as and when they are required by the software, ie when you turn on the application in a new location. To be completely "free" obviously you need a fixed price data tariff like T Mobile Web & Walk, otherwise you obviously pay your usual data tariff charges.

The software also allows you to plan routes free of charge and will show the route on the map, the only things you can optionally pay for is voice command turn by turn navigation (eg "100 metres, turn left") like TomTom gives, and the city guides.

Chris

BTW, cheers for the response to my questions Rafe :)

Super Chimp
29-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Opps sorry I meant to add something.

The N95 I have seems fine, but I always think its a bit difficult to judge until you actually used it for a while. I always find slides feel a bit flimsy - they tend to have a bit of give. But the N95 is certainly no worse than the N80 - I'd say better as less spongy. It does feel fragile, but thats subjective. The bottom part though feels rock solid...

Its also worth noting that mine is not necessairly in the same batch as the first UK ones.

I have (already) manged to drop it once or twice and no ill effects so far (onto carpet).

Pixelation is in the eye on the beholder - depends how close you are to the screen. It way better than the old 176x208 screen as even that was never that bad.

Thanks for that. I find the build quality on the N80 to be acceptable, though the slide does seem to have more play in it than it did when I first got it. Hopefully I will not have the same issues with the N95 as I did with my N93.

exlixx
30-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi I find this thread extremely extremely useful. It really helps a lot !!!!!

Can you check for me whether there is any support, out of the box, to synchronize PIM and emails with MS Exchange Server over the air like what Activesync of pocketPC does? I understand we can install 3rd party software such as RoadSync ... but then it is so expensive. What about the built-in SyncML? Does it work like Activesync? Sorry, I am completely new to Symbian OS ...

Looking forward to the reply ... Thank you so much.

md27514
01-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I currently have E60 which supports 802.1x and EAP-PEAP. This is a crucial feature for me as it allows me to use the wifi network at work. Can anyone look at their N95 and see whether it also supports it?
Namely, go to your configured access points click on WLAN security mode. You should see: Open network, WEP, 802.1x and WPA/WPA2
Next enter WLAN security settings and there should be an option for WPA mode: EAP. Select it and you should be able to configure EAP plugin settings, and one of the available options should be EAP-PEAP.

I would appreciate if anyone can check this for me.....

Also, even though this is less important, does N95 have the Nokia VPN client ? On my E60 in the submenu Connections one choice available is VPN . Do you have this on N95?

Rafe
01-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi I find this thread extremely extremely useful. It really helps a lot !!!!!

Can you check for me whether there is any support, out of the box, to synchronize PIM and emails with MS Exchange Server over the air like what Activesync of pocketPC does? I understand we can install 3rd party software such as RoadSync ... but then it is so expensive. What about the built-in SyncML? Does it work like Activesync? Sorry, I am completely new to Symbian OS ...

Looking forward to the reply ... Thank you so much.

Not out of the box. Nokia do produce Active Sync software for the Eseries, but officially its not compatible with the Nseries.

SyncML is used in a similar-ish way to ActiveSync, but is generally more used for backing up contacts and calendar.

I currently have E60 which supports 802.1x and EAP-PEAP. This is a crucial feature for me as it allows me to use the wifi network at work. Can anyone look at their N95 and see whether it also supports it?

Also, even though this is less important, does N95 have the Nokia VPN client ? On my E60 in the submenu Connections one choice available is VPN . Do you have this on N95?

Yes it does. There's no VPN clinet out of the box.

smreid
01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi

I am trying to download a file that I want to send via bluetooth to an N70. I use the browser and download the file, it then asks me if I want to open the file. I say no and the download disappears (if I say yes it just says that its not compatible with my phone). Where can I find this downloaded file? The manual says to look in options>downloads but I cannot find this in the browser.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

Stephen

dabotsonline
02-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Not a technical question, but if one buys the Crystal Case: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/11854.htm is it also worth buying the Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/12840.htm ?

Indeed, is it suitable to apply the Martin Fields protector directly onto the LCD screen, given that there is no hard cover over it?

Indeed, given that the lens already has its own mechanical cover, is additionally applying a plastic screen protector worth it? (This question also applies to any product with a mechanical lens cover e.g. most digital cameras).

fyrestrtr
02-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Can someone compare the N95 keypad with the N93? I really like the feel of the N93 keypad and I think that's one area where Nokia completely nailed it.

PonoBill
02-04-2007, 07:35 AM
My wife has a Bentley Continental Spur (U.S. version) that requires rSAP spec bluetooth to connect and use all the built in phone interface capabilities. I guess it's a Volkswagon OEM system, but I'm not sure. There are a seriously limited number of phones that are specified to work with the car, and all of them are Nokia, but the list is all for fairly lame phones like the 6230. By any chance will the N95 work with this car?

If not, can you suggest a suitable phone?

Sogard
02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
:icon2: Can someone please tell my if the NOKIA N95 has bluetooth ver. 2.1 ?????? or will it have????? thanks

Johnnie5
02-04-2007, 02:08 PM
The Nokia N95 has bluetooth 2.0

Rafe
02-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Can someone compare the N95 keypad with the N93? I really like the feel of the N93 keypad and I think that's one area where Nokia completely nailed it.

Its not as good as the N93 keypad, but mainly because it smaller. It does use the same plastic material in the keys which is good.

My wife has a Bentley Continental Spur (U.S. version) that requires rSAP spec bluetooth to connect and use all the built in phone interface capabilities. I guess it's a Volkswagon OEM system, but I'm not sure. There are a seriously limited number of phones that are specified to work with the car, and all of them are Nokia, but the list is all for fairly lame phones like the 6230. By any chance will the N95 work with this car?

If not, can you suggest a suitable phone?

No guarantees, it depends what it using. I would have thought it would work though as the Bluetooth implementation on the N95 is fairly complete and includes SIM access over Bluetooth.

vinekz
02-04-2007, 02:56 PM
hi, can you plz tell me more about the media player, does it have a support for boosting bass as the Megabass in sony ericsson?thank you.

YourDirector
02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey, I have a N80 and am looking to get an N95 asap but just have a couple of q's.

1. What type of memory card does i take?

2. Does it run S60 3rd or is it using a new OS. (in other words will the software i currently have on my N80 work on the N95?

3. What is the battery life like on it?

4. Is it really all its cracked up to be and worth the hasstle of a premature upgrade?

vix2000
02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi. This is the first phone of this type I have owned, so please excuse the basic questions.
Surprisingly, I have managed, with this sites help, to change the settings to access the web thriugh my home wifi. As this is now default, how do i access the O2 web?
I have managed to load the nokia pc suite and dowload my contacts and calendar. with previous phones I have used the pc suites file manager to transfer music files and ringtones from pc to phone, by locating the file with installed tones in and dragging files from pc into it. Can access n95's files but nothing in them? Is this usual, or a software conflict? (vista OS!!!) Can you tell me where to save tones?
Thank you for the time you spend helping with all these queries.

Rafe
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
hi, can you plz tell me more about the media player, does it have a support for boosting bass as the Megabass in sony ericsson?thank you.

Yes, though whether it is the same as the SE on I'm not sure. It is an equalizer setting on the N95.

Hi. This is the first phone of this type I have owned, so please excuse the basic questions.
Surprisingly, I have managed, with this sites help, to change the settings to access the web thriugh my home wifi. As this is now default, how do i access the O2 web?
I have managed to load the nokia pc suite and dowload my contacts and calendar. with previous phones I have used the pc suites file manager to transfer music files and ringtones from pc to phone, by locating the file with installed tones in and dragging files from pc into it. Can access n95's files but nothing in them? Is this usual, or a software conflict? (vista OS!!!) Can you tell me where to save tones?
Thank you for the time you spend helping with all these queries.

To access it through wifi you need to set the access point used to O2. This is done in settings in Web. I'd recommend you set it to Always Ask that way you can choose between your wifi access point and your O2 access point.

The music files and ringtones are stored in the ROM memory not in the accessible memory (the C and E drives you see in PC Suite) as such you can not copy them off with PC Suite. If you put your own tones into the tones folder (C:/sound clips/tones) (either C or E) you should be able to access them fine. You can then set the phone to use these tones in Contacts (for a person) or Profiles (generically).

LouieCoop
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi! Simple question... Can you use flash whilst videoing? I hope so, as most mobile phone allow you to do this now? However I was never able to whilst using my N80...

Any help will be greatly appreciated **Hopes you can use it :cool: **

stuclark
03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
You mean use the flash (continually) while recording a video?

No

Rafe
03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Though if you use the video in night mode you do a red LED illumination which is quite effective.

LouieCoop
How rubbish is that? Considering the handset is priced at £560, yet a Samsung D500 which you can pick up for peanuts will actually use flash continually whilst recording a video...

Is there any reason behind it for why it won't??

LouieCoop
The red illumination works even when your not in night mode...

jmcconville
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I have been comparing the N95 with 6110 Navigator. 6110 shows support for 3GPP video streaming, but N95 does not. Does anyone know whether 3GPP support is excluded from N95 features, or an omission in spec?

Thanks!

stuclark
03-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm sure 3GPP streaming is supported - the settings are certainly all there in RealPlayer. Can't say I've tried using it though.

David0203
03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi,
Thanks for doing this! This thread is very helpful.

My questions:

1. I notice that N95 has "flight mode". Does this mean that all applications except (such as document viewing etc.) can be used except the ones where network connection is required?

2. Is it possible to activate the speakerphone before the person on the other end picks up (i.e. you dial the number, select speakerphone while the phone is ringing)?

3. Is it possible to assign a quick access key for speakerphone activation?

4. Is it possible to answer the call directly in speakerphone mode?

Regards,
David

vix2000
04-04-2007, 01:27 AM
thanks for the help. what version of office can i put on the n95 please?

Barkotron
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi folks,

I have a couple of questions about the video capabilities of the N95.

How much space does the top quality video take up? I.e. say I take 5 minutes of 640x480, at 30FPS and the highest quality settings, how much space does that take up?
How long will the battery last from a full charge if continually videoing at top quality? Has anyone tried this?
What's the sound quality like on the video? I've been really pleasantly surprised by the quality of sound in the videos taken by my N91 (when I remember to not cover the mic with my fingers, of course :rolleyes: ). Does anyone know how the N95 compares?

Any replies much appreciated :)

stuclark
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
1. I notice that N95 has "flight mode". Does this mean that all applications except (such as document viewing etc.) can be used except the ones where network connection is required?

Yes, only the radio (network) stack is turned off when in flight mode.

2. Is it possible to activate the speakerphone before the person on the other end picks up (i.e. you dial the number, select speakerphone while the phone is ringing)?

Yes, this is possible

3. Is it possible to assign a quick access key for speakerphone activation?

No, although the right soft key takes on the role of switching between speaker and headset modes automatically.

4. Is it possible to answer the call directly in speakerphone mode?

Not as far as I know

AshCFC
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi Rafe

I purchased the N95 yesterday and have a quick question I hope you will be able to answer:

Is there any way of passwording certain folders i.e images, video etc etc so that to access these folders, you would need to enter a pin?

Many thanks

Ash

Rafe
04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Ash

Not that I'm aware of.

You could create a zip archive with a password (using the on board zip manager) and add the files you want to keep private to this. A bit long winded though.

tnkgrl
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I have my Nokia N95... It's beautiful! Enjoy my unboxing pictures:

tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/unboxing-the-nokia-n95/

And feel free to ask questions :)

David0203
05-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks Stuclark!

Barkotron I have the same questions as you! It would be interesting to here thoughts from people who have used it.

One additional one as well:
1. I never used any of the phones with symbian. So forgive me if my questions is a bit naive. I saw a demo on Nokia website about use of phone with wireless keyboard attached to it. I was wandering if it is possible to use this to add notes to PowerPoint presentations (in notes section of the PowerPoint itself)? And how do you navigate through slides considering there is no touch screen capability (I have used Palm PDA before).

ratza
05-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I was wandering if it is possible to use this to add notes to PowerPoint presentations (in notes section of the PowerPoint itself)? And how do you navigate through slides considering there is no touch screen capability (I have used Palm PDA before).

It is possible to edit and switching between slides is made with * and # keys in Quick Office Premier. Don't worry, after 2-3 weeks of use you won't miss your PDA.

Rafe
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks Stuclark!

Barkotron I have the same questions as you! It would be interesting to here thoughts from people who have used it.

One additional one as well:
1. I never used any of the phones with symbian. So forgive me if my questions is a bit naive. I saw a demo on Nokia website about use of phone with wireless keyboard attached to it. I was wandering if it is possible to use this to add notes to PowerPoint presentations (in notes section of the PowerPoint itself)? And how do you navigate through slides considering there is no touch screen capability (I have used Palm PDA before).

The version that comes with the phone does not have an edit mode. You can upgrade the software (from the phone) I recommend you go for Quickoffice version 4.

Hi folks,

I have a couple of questions about the video capabilities of the N95.

How much space does the top quality video take up? I.e. say I take 5 minutes of 640x480, at 30FPS and the highest quality settings, how much space does that take up?
How long will the battery last from a full charge if continually videoing at top quality? Has anyone tried this?
What's the sound quality like on the video? I've been really pleasantly surprised by the quality of sound in the videos taken by my N91 (when I remember to not cover the mic with my fingers, of course :rolleyes: ). Does anyone know how the N95 compares?

Any replies much appreciated :)

1. It does vary but about 25mb a minute a good ball park figure.
2. I haven't tried this. I would guess it would so about an hour, maybe more.
3. Not as good as the N93, but about the same as the N91 (as I recall). It is a bit muffled.

unionman
05-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi Rafe,

I took delivery of an N95 and I have two questions;
I fully charged the phone but it died afer only 3 hours, is something running in the background that eats battery life?
I also recieved two memory cards, one small one that fits into the side of the phone and one larger (SD type) card that doesn't seem to fit anywhere - any idea what it's for?

Unionman

Rafe
05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Rafe,

I took delivery of an N95 and I have two questions;
I fully charged the phone but it died afer only 3 hours, is something running in the background that eats battery life?
I also recieved two memory cards, one small one that fits into the side of the phone and one larger (SD type) card that doesn't seem to fit anywhere - any idea what it's for?

Unionman

No 3 hours is definitely not normal. If you had the GPS running the whole time with the backlight on that might explain it (the GPS and WiFi when in use a lot of power), also it could be something you installed. Bit difficult to say. Note that the GPS will be running if you have maps open (and its therefore a good idea to exit maps if you are not using it in contrast to other program which you should consider leaving open (switch away using the S60 key) to get the benefits of multi tasking).

The larger card is an adaptor for the smaller one so you can use them in standard SD card slots (e.g. a USB reader). The little one fits inside the small one.

jason3416
05-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes, got my N95 Monday....I'm in the US...and it does work on cingular because all I did was swap my sim card...camera is nice in my opinion...still need to get a media package to test all the internet stuff out, but wiFi works great. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my text messaging to work and how to put on word and excel documents on here; where I can actually edit them. Anyone have a great forum or place to download upgrade software please let me know.

Rchetcuti
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Does the Nokia N95 support AGPS? If this is not supported can software updates make AGPS possible?

One more question - How accurate is the internal GPS of the N95? 10, 30m, 50m?

docc
06-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Rafe,

I paired my new N95 with the SE HBH-DS 970 and everything works as advertised except that the headset display does not show the name of the caller (just the number). This was a known problem with Windows Mobile devices but i wasn't aware that even Nokia's are plagued by this problem.

Everything else works exceptionally well, that is the AVRCP profile is simply fantastic and i'm able to play/plause skip tracks etc without any problems. Any idea as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

rb14
06-04-2007, 08:48 AM
One more question - How accurate is the internal GPS of the N95? 10, 30m, 50m?
It depends on how many satellites and their signal strength. In London you can watch my accuracy vary from 15 to 30 metres horizontally and the same with elevation. That said, walking across my roof terrace, it told me I'd moved 20 metres (it's about 16) at a speed of 4.8 km/h. Cool huh?

brawlman
06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Does the N95 need to have a data plan to use internet, or is this done through SIM card? I have T-Mobile in the USA and am trying to find out what to expect if I were to buy a UK model N95.
Also, I'm new to Symbian OS and would like to know if Excel is capable of running; any link you can point me to get caught up on symbian os.

bonzo5988
06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi

Has anybody installed tom tom 6 on there n95, and tried to output the display onto a portable DVD Player for the car.That would be good.I cant see why not.

stuclark
06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi

Has anybody installed tom tom 6 on there n95, and tried to output the display onto a portable DVD Player for the car.That would be good.I cant see why not.
I've done the first bit - TomTom is very usable on the N95 due to the larger screen. As it doesn't know about the internal GPS, it treats the phone just as it would any other N series device and turns on Bluetooth to look for a GPS receiver.

I haven't tried outputting to a DVD screen in the car, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, so long as you have the inputs needed in the car to get the signal to that screen.

bonzo5988
06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi

i have not set my tom tom up yet,but was thinking i could use the AV cable that came with the phone to connect to a DVD player.

ed0902
09-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I have problem with the internet broswer or it might also be the connection problem.

Here is the situation, I can connect my n95 to my house's wireless router. I can open the 1st website(whatever website it might be) i go to. BUT i cannot open any links on the website, or I cannot go to another website either. It will take a long time and a message saying "no gateway reply" would pop-up. I tried many times, but each time the same thing happen. Please help me to pin out what's the problem and how can i fix it.

Thank you very much.

bajeq
09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi Rafe is there a way to increase the free ram from the 21MB to anything higher

Sogard
10-04-2007, 11:07 AM
If you want to listen to radio you must plug in your headset.... but can you instead pair with a bluetooth stereo headset??????:icon4:

MrFirey
11-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry to return to this old chestnut, but I think there is a group of us out there with this very annoying unresolved problem. We can make a browser connection through our wireless router and surf a very few pages before everything very quickly crawls to a stop and we get the message "Web: No gateway reply". When this occurs there is no chance of further browsing without switching the phone off and back on again. It seems to behappening with a variety of routers and encryption methods. I have tinkered with every setting both in my phone and Netgear router to no avail. I know it's not dignified, but I'm begging for help here!

ktabic
11-04-2007, 03:23 PM
If you want to listen to radio you must plug in your headset.... but can you instead pair with a bluetooth stereo headset??????:icon4:

You don't need to plug in the 'headset' to listen to radio, you need to plug in the remote, which doesn't trigger a headset plugged in response from the phone. So yes you should be able to (although I haven't got a bluetooth headset on me to try with).

Lns101
11-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I have had my N95 for a few days and now the browser is not working at all. I cannot use WLAN or Orangeworld or anything that uses the browser. Is there a way I can reinstall the S60 browser?

erehman
12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Please tell me can I join high quality, VGA video clips (@30fps) with built-in video editor of N95?
Can a VGA movie (@30fps) be made from video clip with Movie Director of N95?

Alastair
12-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Rafe,
Can one remove the RDJ application from the front screen and replace it with FM radio? the RDJ will only work in a 3G area and is therefore of limited use
I don't see an option for modifying the startup screen

Rafe
12-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure what the RDJ application is (I think this might be an operator custom application).

You should be able to change the appls from the front screen (I'm assuming you mean softkeys of the icon strip) in settings. General -> Personalisation -> Standby Mode -> Active standyby apps

Rafe
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I have had my N95 for a few days and now the browser is not working at all. I cannot use WLAN or Orangeworld or anything that uses the browser. Is there a way I can reinstall the S60 browser?

No. In any case its almost certainly not the browser that's the problem its the connection. You've probably got some wrong in your Access Point Settings. You should make sure you're trying to use the right one in Web (check Settings in Web). Or you can delete the existing Access Point in the phones settings application and start again. The Settings Wizard may help if you decide to start again.

I'm sorry to return to this old chestnut, but I think there is a group of us out there with this very annoying unresolved problem. We can make a browser connection through our wireless router and surf a very few pages before everything very quickly crawls to a stop and we get the message "Web: No gateway reply". When this occurs there is no chance of further browsing without switching the phone off and back on again. It seems to behappening with a variety of routers and encryption methods. I have tinkered with every setting both in my phone and Netgear router to no avail. I know it's not dignified, but I'm begging for help here!

I don't know why this is happening. I'm using it fine with a Netgear router. Trouble is with these things is there are a lot of settings on the router side that can cause problems. Generally the solution lies there rather than with the N95. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

The message suggests the connection between the router and the phone is being dropped.

Please jump in, anyone, if you have some insight.

Hi Rafe is there a way to increase the free ram from the 21MB to anything higher

No.

Sogard
12-04-2007, 11:41 AM
thanks for answering...

adz06
12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I've been getting the same problem with using the web browser via my netgear router, I think its working fine now, but I also had the same when using Orange Internet too. But it seems to work now.

I do also get a problem that the phone seems to not be able to find my router, even with the phone right next to it! Plus it seems the it cant pick up a signal in places my laptop can.

Not a big worry though as I have unlimited data access from Orange, If I dont get a wlan signal, I just change to using orange instead.

Rafe
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM

No, not as far as I can tell as I mentioned in the music review.

Rafe
12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
The WiFi aerial in the N95 wont be as good as a laptop so the chances are it wont work in some places that the laptop does.

Alastair
12-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Rafe,
Many thanks, that was exactly right. Removed RDJ (RadioDiskJockey) as you suggested.
It may well be a Vodafone app - it requires 3G and a subscription.
Thankyou

toxdoc
13-04-2007, 08:12 AM
So if you got any questions about the Nokia N95 I'll do my best to answer as we go in this thread.

You can also read the N95 preview here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Nokia_N95_First_Impressions.php

I have had my N95 now for nearly 1 week and gradually found my way around most functions, including maps and GPS, all working well. :)

I am however having a problem with WLAN. I can use it as an access point and it works fine. The problem is it won't disconnect and this seems to consume the battery very quickly. This failure relates to use of the WLAN conection for any function, e-mail, internet or maps.

Any ideas on this? I am accessing WLAN via a netgear wireless router and using WPA protected access. The Nokia forum seems to have a few other troubled souls.:frown:

Thanks

touzeen
13-04-2007, 02:14 PM
since im gonna be getting my n95 in a few days,i wanted to ask u guys wat to check out with the unit i get since i wud get some time to play with it...like,how do i check the built of the phone,software stability etc before i buy the phone...

nj7
13-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Built? Firmware version? *#0000#. If is stable... only with regular use is possible to said.

Alastair
13-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Rafe,
1. The problem with referring to 'mass storage mode' for the phone is that at least in my Vodafone N95 it is called 'data transfer mode'
The phone has to be in data transfer mode for Maploader to work.

2. Would you consider having a sticky with 'Useful solutions/tips' bringing together examples of undocumented items like this? I'm thinking also of a tip which switches to silent mode, and another set of keystrokes that gives, I think, the serial number; somewhere I've read about an app to assist with voice recognition, all of which I have seen at one time, but can't find just now.

3. Another valuable sticky would be 'recommended software' with links such as you gave me - plus other members' recommendations.

Keep up the good work!

ktabic
13-04-2007, 03:47 PM
1. The problem with referring to 'mass storage mode' for the phone is that at least in my Vodafone N95 it is called 'data transfer mode'

It seems to be one of several inconsistancies with the N95's UI. In settings it is called 'data transfer mode' while on the connection type popup it's 'Mass Storage'

2. Would you consider having a sticky with 'Useful solutions/tips' bringing together examples of undocumented items like this? I'm thinking also of a tip which switches to silent mode, and another set of keystrokes that gives, I think, the serial number; somewhere I've read about an app to assist with voice recognition, all of which I have seen at one time, but can't find just now.

3. Another valuable sticky would be 'recommended software' with links such as you gave me - plus other members' recommendations.

Yeah, both of these would be nice, so there you are Rafe, even more work for you ;)

deadlyhal
13-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Please can you inform how I can activate voice activation for individual contacts. According to the manuel I should be able to do this in standby mode and press the top right menu key?

Many thanks

Alastair
13-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Rafe,

I had a hard crash this afternoon, and had to do a factory reset and reinstall PC suite, and on running the first wizard it did indeed say 'mass storage' as an option.

Is that the same as 'data transfer' mode?

Cheers

dez_borders
13-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I am however having a problem with WLAN. I can use it as an access point and it works fine. The problem is it won't disconnect and this seems to consume the battery very quickly. This failure relates to use of the WLAN conection for any function, e-mail, internet or maps.

On the N95, to to MENU -> TOOLS -> CONN MGR -> ACTIVE DATA CONNECTIONS and select the disconnect option...

zylstra
14-04-2007, 10:29 AM
How do I use ringtones without downloading them from Nokia's proprietary website? It's the only option I see.

Rafe
14-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Please can you inform how I can activate voice activation for individual contacts. According to the manuel I should be able to do this in standby mode and press the top right menu key?

Many thanks

On the standy by screen hold down the right hand softkey for 2 seconds and voice recognition will activate. You don't need voice tags, just speak the name of your contact.

It seems to be one of several inconsistancies with the N95's UI. In settings it is called 'data transfer mode' while on the connection type popup it's 'Mass Storage'

Yeah, both of these would be nice, so there you are Rafe, even more work for you ;)

OK I'll try and do a FAQ at some point. Bit busy in the next few days, but we'll see.

Rafe
14-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Rafe,

I had a hard crash this afternoon, and had to do a factory reset and reinstall PC suite, and on running the first wizard it did indeed say 'mass storage' as an option.

Is that the same as 'data transfer' mode?

Cheers

Yes Data Transfer and Mass Storage are the same. They are a simple USB data connection, same as a USB memory stick

How do I use ringtones without downloading them from Nokia's proprietary website? It's the only option I see.

You can copy them to your phone using PC Suite. Put them in the sounds/tones folder.

rickyravi1980
14-04-2007, 02:37 PM
cud u plz tel me,huv to unlock my n95(t-mobile)..
cheers

toxdoc
15-04-2007, 11:53 AM
On the N95, to to MENU -> TOOLS -> CONN MGR -> ACTIVE DATA CONNECTIONS and select the disconnect option...

Thanks

I appreciate how it should work. :) I wish it was actually so easy. I loaded connection manager into the easy start list to try to get to it without too many key-strokes.

The fact is that this menu is not accessible when the 'phone becomes locked into my WLAN. The header appears but no content.

I have currently inactivated WLAN until I can resolve this.

No other problems, and have now been through the whole repertoire of functions

dez_borders
15-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks

I appreciate how it should work. :) I wish it was actually so easy. I loaded connection manager into the easy start list to try to get to it without too many key-strokes.

The fact is that this menu is not accessible when the 'phone becomes locked into my WLAN. The header appears but no content.

I have currently inactivated WLAN until I can resolve this.

No other problems, and have now been through the whole repertoire of functions

Sorry to hear that my advice doesn't work on your handset.

I have the Generic Euro1 N95 firmware and a NetGear router. I don't experience the problems you have.
What network is your handset branded/locked-to and what brand of wireless router are you using?
Is your WLAN connection config set to Hidden or Public? Are you using WPA/PSK encryption?

toxdoc
15-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Sorry to hear that my advice doesn't work on your handset.

I have the Generic Euro1 N95 firmware and a NetGear router. I don't experience the problems you have.
What network is your handset branded/locked-to and what brand of wireless router are you using?
Is your WLAN connection config set to Hidden or Public? Are you using WPA/PSK encryption?

Handset is O2 but not locked. Router is Netgear DG834PN with WPA encryption. WLAN set to Public. WLAN works fine with a HP PDA and two XP laptops.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

jazzyc-01
15-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I have a question regarding the video playback through my TV using the supplied cable.

When i attempt o do this the picture etc seems fine (though not dvd quality!) but what really bugs me is there is little to no sound and i have to turn the tv right up to get anything. why is that?

if i just play it back through te handset the sound volume is fine.

peter77
15-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Ok I'm new here and I don't think this question has been aske previously, so here it goes.

With the map software that is included it says you pay to have the map software tell you "turn right x yards" etc.

My question is will it still plan a route for you and guide you on screen with out the audio directions or is basically you are here and then a list of directions similar to what you'd get if you planned it with multimap for example.

Cheers

Peter77

adz06
15-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Ok I'm new here and I don't think this question has been aske previously, so here it goes.

With the map software that is included it says you pay to have the map software tell you "turn right x yards" etc.

My question is will it still plan a route for you and guide you on screen with out the audio directions or is basically you are here and then a list of directions similar to what you'd get if you planned it with multimap for example.

Cheers

Peter77

The maps software will plan a route for you, show it on the map and with track you via gps. If you want to have voice directions then thats what you have to pay for. Probably not worth it if your walking, but a must for driving.

Plus for some reason, nokia decided that the map should always point north rather than the direction your traveling, not sure if this applies to the subscription service too, but is a bit annoying!

But in answer to your question, all the subscription service does is adds voice navigation.

peter77
15-04-2007, 10:03 PM
thanks for the info, I would propbably only use it while I was walking around for gps stuff.

I'm going to states this year and wanted to be able to use it over there when I am walking round!

Cheers:icon14:

Peter77

erehman
16-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Rafe,
I know its not a technical question and for those having this phone, my question would look like a foolish quaestion. But what I heard about video editor of N95 is that you can't edit videos in full resolution and @30fps at all. In order to use this editor, one should capture videos at CIF and 15fps. I just wanted to confirm is it really so. Or can we join videos with highest resolution, in VGA, @30fps with the help of this editor. Please answer. Thanks

minglau770
16-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Could someone let me know where i could get a copy of TomTom software and Australia map for my N95 pls....

nicky napkins
16-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Many thanks

I have heard this feature does not work very well.....

Can anyone confirm this???

thanks

Nicky...

jazzyc-01
16-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I have a question regarding the video playback through my TV using the supplied cable.

When i attempt o do this the picture etc seems fine (though not dvd quality!) but what really bugs me is there is little to no sound and i have to turn the tv right up to get anything. why is that?

someone please have an answer for me on this. its really frustrating me:frown:

dez_borders
16-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Handset is O2 but not locked. Router is Netgear DG834PN with WPA encryption. WLAN set to Public. WLAN works fine with a HP PDA and two XP laptops.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

Your router model is the same as mine, and the WPA config settings appear to be more or less the same also. Therefore I don't know why you are experiencing difficulties disconnecting from WiFi.

Is your VOIP SIP set to Always On or to When Needed ?
(mine is set to when needed)

Dan
17-04-2007, 02:42 PM
i bought my n95 in Singapore. It comes with a program called IM. can I configure my msn or yahoo messenger on it? If yes how do i do it?

thanks

gunn
18-04-2007, 05:33 AM
i have followed this thread for a long time ago... the features inside N95 is awesome... but i am so curious about one thing, how about the built quality of N95? is that solid enough? or it looks like crap?

minglau770
18-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Could someone let me know where i could get a copy of TomTom software and Australia map for my N95 pls....

Could someone help me with this problem!!!! pls

chrsfrwll
18-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Could someone help me with this problem!!!! pls

You could try here (http://www.tomtom.com/index.php?Lid=8) ;)

deadlyhal
18-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I have the latest version of PC Suite. Downloaded Nokia Video Manager and it appears to install correctly, even the icon shows up in PC Suite; but will the app will not run.

Error is; ‘This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem’

I’ve reinstalled PC Suite & Video manager several times now, and run the PC Suite clean up tool. Even tried different revisions of PC Suite to no avail. Please help

Thanks

nicky napkins
18-04-2007, 02:26 PM
voice activation.......

thanks

Nicky...

anyone???

CellularMania
19-04-2007, 12:06 AM
have u test Tomtom6 whith gps BTooth external like ldw-3 ?

Mansoor Jilani
19-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Hi Rafe, do u have any idea how i can extract original themes came with N95, if i want to use these themes in N80 ? Or any place you know where N95 original themes could be found ???

Thank You !

Rafe
19-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Rafe,
I know its not a technical question and for those having this phone, my question would look like a foolish quaestion. But what I heard about video editor of N95 is that you can't edit videos in full resolution and @30fps at all. In order to use this editor, one should capture videos at CIF and 15fps. I just wanted to confirm is it really so. Or can we join videos with highest resolution, in VGA, @30fps with the help of this editor. Please answer. Thanks

I haven't played with this too much. I've found full spec video works OK, but its better if you set the output to 320X240.

www.tomtom.com but at the moment its not able to use the internal GPS

Try turning the volume up on the phone. Make sure you cable connection is secure... otherwise its as likely to be a problem with the RCA plugs on the TV as anything else.

Rafe
19-04-2007, 01:52 PM

thanks

Nicky...

Works OK for me. No worse than the other implementation of Speaker Independent Voice recognition on other Nokias.

i bought my n95 in Singapore. It comes with a program called IM. can I configure my msn or yahoo messenger on it? If yes how do i do it?

thanks

Theoretically - yes but you need a bridge service (e.g. yamigo). However these dont work well. Its really something operators are meant to provide.

voice activation.......

thanks

Nicky...

anyone???

PLease try and refrain from repeating questions!

I have the latest version of PC Suite. Downloaded Nokia Video Manager and it appears to install correctly, even the icon shows up in PC Suite; but will the app will not run.

Error is; ‘This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem’

I’ve reinstalled PC Suite & Video manager several times now, and run the PC Suite clean up tool. Even tried different revisions of PC Suite to no avail. Please help

Thanks

Hmm not sure on this one. My best guess would be its conflicting with something else on your machine.

Hi Rafe, do u have any idea how i can extract original themes came with N95, if i want to use these themes in N80 ? Or any place you know where N95 original themes could be found ???

Thank You !

The themes are not fully compatible (though they will work). Not sure about extracting - sorry.

abajwa
19-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I tried to download Smart2Go for my nokia N95 but the pulldown menu on Download site does not include N95. I selected N93 and downloaded the software. However, when I am trying to install it on my phone, i am getting a message "update error". Any suggestions please.

ian_w
20-04-2007, 09:23 AM
I have an n95 on Orange. After I take a photo, I'm presented with an annoying pop-up menu with the options "Upload to my album", "Blog" and "Send to a friend". I'm guessing this is some ruse to encourage more data transfer (££) by getting people to go on-line whenever they take photos. Is there any way to disable this pop-up? I've tried turning off the option to view a photo after it's taken but this makes no difference.

Perhaps the most annoying aspect of this is that the pop-up menu takes a couple of seconds to appear after taking the photo, so if I'm trying to take several, it's quite fiddly to begin each one. Any ideas please??

Rafe
20-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I tried to download Smart2Go for my nokia N95 but the pulldown menu on Download site does not include N95. I selected N93 and downloaded the software. However, when I am trying to install it on my phone, i am getting a message "update error". Any suggestions please.

Smart2Go = Maps on N95. You do not need to download Smart2Go for your N95.

If you want to download maps then use the PC Software Map Loader.

I have an n95 on Orange. After I take a photo, I'm presented with an annoying pop-up menu with the options "Upload to my album", "Blog" and "Send to a friend". I'm guessing this is some ruse to encourage more data transfer (££) by getting people to go on-line whenever they take photos. Is there any way to disable this pop-up? I've tried turning off the option to view a photo after it's taken but this makes no difference.

Perhaps the most annoying aspect of this is that the pop-up menu takes a couple of seconds to appear after taking the photo, so if I'm trying to take several, it's quite fiddly to begin each one. Any ideas please??

Is there an Orange Photograph or similar application? You can probably turn it off in the settings of this program.

Sogard
20-04-2007, 08:59 PM
PLEASE...
CAN SOMEONE TELL MY HOW CAN I CHANGE THE RIGHT BUTON IN STEAD OF CLOCK TO SHOW ME SOMETHING ELSE...(EG. CONTACTS) ??????:con? ???????

chrsfrwll
21-04-2007, 12:01 PM
PLEASE...
CAN SOMEONE TELL MY HOW CAN I CHANGE THE RIGHT BUTON ....

Tools > Settings > General > Personalisation > Standby Mode > Short Cuts > then pick your application. Simple really.

mjdj1689
21-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Im on orange and cant make internet calls on my n95, I want to use skype can you tell me what I need to do , i read on here that orange has took internet calls off the n95, I can use my hub to serve the net if thats any help, can I download some software???

Rafe
21-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Try the software at fring.com

and yes Orange has taken out the vuilt in VoIP stuff - not that you can use Skype with that though.

craaazy
22-04-2007, 02:05 AM
I would like to use the phone at home as a fixed-line substitute with VoIP over WLAN. I have multiple SIP accounts (e.g. different SIP providers through wich I get fixed-line numbers in different countries) and would like to know if it is possible to connect to more than one SIP account at once.

Furthermore, is the phone able to detect automatically that it is "at home" and to log into WLAN and the SIP accounts automatically, without me toggeling different profiles whenever I get home and want to use VoIP instead of GSM?

Thanx a lot in advance!

schunker
22-04-2007, 08:24 AM
i have 2problems with n95 1 when i use the transfer application to transfer the data from my n70 to n95 it goes through the actions then i get anerror message on my n95 saying it does not support datasis transfer. my 2 problem is when i use the pc suite to sync my contacts and caiender from outlook not all the event are syncronised holidays and birthdays are ok but my everday events(ie:i put my shift pattern in) are not. i had no problem with this on my n7cheers

Rafe
22-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I would like to use the phone at home as a fixed-line substitute with VoIP over WLAN. I have multiple SIP accounts (e.g. different SIP providers through wich I get fixed-line numbers in different countries) and would like to know if it is possible to connect to more than one SIP account at once.

Furthermore, is the phone able to detect automatically that it is "at home" and to log into WLAN and the SIP accounts automatically, without me toggeling different profiles whenever I get home and want to use VoIP instead of GSM?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Yes multiple SIP accounts are supported. I've not tested this myself though. Mine certainly registers automatically when it comes in range of home WiFi and I have VoIP set as the default calling type.

i have 2problems with n95 1 when i use the transfer application to transfer the data from my n70 to n95 it goes through the actions then i get anerror message on my n95 saying it does not support datasis transfer. my 2 problem is when i use the pc suite to sync my contacts and caiender from outlook not all the event are syncronised holidays and birthdays are ok but my everday events(ie:i put my shift pattern in) are not. i had no problem with this on my n7cheers

You need to initiate the transfer from the N95 not the N70. If you are doing this - then I think the error message may be about transfer of programs. N70 programs are not compatible with the N95 and thus existing applications can not be transferred.

Not sure about the Outlook Sync issue - sorry!

catalin.iuga@gm
23-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Hi Rafe,

When I write SMS, I wanna send to Most Recent/Used contacts...is this option available in the OS or third party software that you know about?

It's my first Symbian phone and this is my only dissapointment.

N95 user...

Thanks for your help.

dez_borders
23-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Hi Rafe,

When I write SMS, I wanna send to Most Recent/Used contacts...is this option available in the OS or third party software that you know about?

No, Most Recent/Used contacts isn't available, but if you want to send SMS to multiple recipients you could create a contacts GROUP and use that as the SMS recipient.

Hope this helps.

Alastair
23-04-2007, 08:51 AM
This Thread's purpose
Clearly it was in the beginning to approach Rafe for his direct input toward solving a problem. But now it's taken a life of its own, and has become a sub-forum within the bigger forum.
The downside is that it comes up within a little window, so one cannot see any thread headings, and whenever one looks at posts - many of which are most interesting - it resets to the top.
Can I make a plea that its function be reviewed please?

Doggen
23-04-2007, 09:08 AM
1:
Is there any included software (or external software) to edit POIs for the inbuilt map program?

2:
Anyone know if Net Monitor works with N95 (FTD)?

Squiffle
23-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Thank goodness for you :tongue: - hope you can help...

.. Iv tried every way I can find, to delete the mass of old emails in my email box (x3 accounts) on the N95.
Iv tried restoring all emails and deteting from Phone and server.. (by marking all)........... it says its doing it, but I am always left with hundreds of headers... have you got any clue how to rectify this and delete mails and headers from the N95?

its ok - its sorted now!! heres how!
Hi,

Ok, the crucial point is this... once u have requested to delete the mails from server and phone (they then show as having a red strike through the email icon message header), and you are connected to the mail box.. u need to manually, (and immediately) back out of the whole application by exiting.

It will ask if you really want to disconnect - don't lose faith - say yes!

It will then say disconnecting and this is when it does what its meant to be doing by deleteing headers and emails from both server n phone. (u have to choose this option or the header will ramain on phone if u just choose delete from phone)

By manually exiting out of the application, it somehow kickstarts the update..

and Voila.. one phone minus 10000's email headers.. all fresh to start again!

;O)

This came courtesy of the Nokia club - I hope they didnt charge me 75p a min, as I was on for 23mins!........ ek!

deityrealm
23-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know why this is happening. I'm using it fine with a Netgear router. Trouble is with these things is there are a lot of settings on the router side that can cause problems. Generally the solution lies there rather than with the N95. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

The message suggests the connection between the router and the phone is being dropped.

Please jump in, anyone, if you have some insight.

No.[/QUOTE]

Sry for this late reply regarding the NO GATEWAY REPLY prompt. I am using a Netgear router as well. Used to have the same prob. but had not appear since i used the following remedy:

Get the MAC address of ur phone > set up router to recognise your phone's MAC address.

Don't know if it helps, but it sure ain't giving me problems. try it and feedback if u do. ^^ good luck

toxdoc
23-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Thx for your help

Problem is now resolved

I reset my router WPA to WPA/PSk +WPA2/PSK and all is now fine. Maybe that might help someone else? Also works fine on other networks with WEP key so fine.

Rafe
23-04-2007, 02:19 PM
This Thread's purpose
Clearly it was in the beginning to approach Rafe for his direct input toward solving a problem. But now it's taken a life of its own, and has become a sub-forum within the bigger forum.
The downside is that it comes up within a little window, so one cannot see any thread headings, and whenever one looks at posts - many of which are most interesting - it resets to the top.
Can I make a plea that its function be reviewed please?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here?

You're right this thread probably has outlived its usefulness, but until I can get get a generic FAQ / Tips post sorted out its probably easier to leave it as a reference.

Shaolyen
23-04-2007, 05:39 PM
This thread is still useful, and while an FAQ would be nice I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Which brings me onto my questions...

- Battery life. I've done a lot of searching on this forum and others, and read mostly conflicting reports on battery life with the N95. In this thread Rafe commented on it once or twice, saying that it was too early to tell what the performance was like. Now the phone has been out for some time, what's the final word on battery life? I've specifically been trying to find out quickly using the GPS functionality drains the batteries, once again the reports have been conflicting. Is there any similar data for music/video playback?

- I'm sure once upon a time I heard that the N95 would be able to post photos taken directly to flickr, but I haven't seen any screenshots showing this. Does this functionality exist, or was I dreaming?

- Wi-Fi roaming. Is it possible to save multiple Wi-Fi profiles, and have the N95 connect to whichever network has the strongest signal? Or do you have to manually switch to a different profile whenever you want to connect?

chrsfrwll
23-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm sure once upon a time I heard that the N95 would be able to post photos taken directly to flickr, but I haven't seen any screenshots showing this. Does this functionality exist

Yes this functionality exists. I've used it, as Shozu doesn't have a dedicated N95 version available yet (although I've since found out that the version for the N93 works just as well).

Can't be specific about battery life but I've found it lasts as well as, if not a little bit better than, my previous N80's. However, that is not with the GPS. That does suck it dry -you'll only get several hours of active GPS use, with the screen backlight on permanently. About the same as playing a game on it non-stop :-)

I've several WiFi profiles saved but tend not to roam to them, rather just switching on when needing. WiFi does drain battery and leaving it on permanently is a recipe for flat battery in no-time-flat.

Doggen
24-04-2007, 06:33 AM
- I'm sure once upon a time I heard that the N95 would be able to post photos taken directly to flickr, but I haven't seen any screenshots showing this. Does this functionality exist, or was I dreaming?

im not sure , but is this what your looking for?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafeblandford/sets/72157594497769867/

Shaolyen
24-04-2007, 09:16 AM
im not sure , but is this what your looking for?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafeblandford/sets/72157594497769867/

I was interested in seeing the actual process of taking a photo and then sending it to flickr.... I haven't been able to find anything on it. :(

Mulett
24-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi there - and thank you for setting up this very useful thread.

Just a quick question - I want to personalise my standby screen. At the moment, I have:

6 short cuts (which I have selected myself)
a couple of upcoming calendar entries
the WLAN Network notice
the two shortcut keys at the bottom (again, which I have selected)

I would really like to get rid the the WLAN notice and have additional calendar entries showing up. Is this possible?

Also, does anyone know where I can download extra themes for the phone?

Thank you in advance. Paul.

C&F
24-04-2007, 10:30 AM
pls help me i have to change my MC to 2GB after that i donno why my dictionary can't work.... when i click dictionary icon "dictionary word infomation missing install word database".....T.T what it this ...im Nokia new user ><HELP

chrsfrwll
24-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I was interested in seeing the actual process of taking a photo and then sending it to flickr.... I haven't been able to find anything on it. :(

I found it simple enough. Once you have a pic in your gallery, Options > Open online service, and select Flickr.

seham
24-04-2007, 02:05 PM
I am a new owner of a Nokia N95 and I just downloaded a theme into my phone. If ever the time comes that I get tired of the theme(s) that I installed, how can I remove it from the phone?

chrsfrwll
24-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Change the theme in Settings and then just delete it from the App Manager screen.

jetsetgo
24-04-2007, 04:45 PM
am 4m india am tryin to get a fone 4m my sis whoz der in UK on contract basis den how 2 unlock da fone to make da fone work in india...?

seham
24-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Change the theme in Settings and then just delete it from the App Manager screen.

Hi again, but I can't delete all the themes that I have downloaded by using App Manager.

Is there another way ? :redface:

Alastair
25-04-2007, 08:49 AM
What I mean is that the questions and answers posted here - as an example the pictures/flickr posts that follow in this thread - might just as well be in the open forum, rather than in this sticky.
I have suggested in another post that a tips sticky (hidden/undocumented features) would be valuable.
But the Qs & As then should stay in the open forum, where they are easier to read

ecstaticax
26-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Rafe, thanks for your support.

I've a question for you. My phone bill allows me to have 600minutes for month. On my actual phone, a 6680, I bought Psiloc Extended Log, a software useful to analyze all phone logs, so I can check if I used my bonus calls.
Is there any kind of native "minutes manager" utility on N95?
If not, what can I do? I was thinking about using the internal counter, but can I reset it every month?

Thanks in advance. Regards.

David0203
26-04-2007, 12:26 PM
I got my N95 and now have a few questions.

Maybe this has already been answered, sorry if it has.

I sometimes check my email using my provider's 3G connection, and I also ocasionally browse the net. However when I finish with my email and want to go to the browser I loose the connection and when I access the browser it reconects again. I am paying in time blocks for internet use (which means that I have to pay two time blocks of 5 min even though I could have spent only 1 min checking email). So my first question is:

1. Is there is a way to switch between email and web browser without loosing the connection in the process

Second quesiton.
2. Is there a way to turn of the camera shutter sound?

Thanks

superswede
26-04-2007, 03:29 PM
....1. Is there is a way to switch between email and web browser without loosing the connection in the process

When done with mail, instead of selecting "Exit" press the menu button (left from nav-pad). This will bring you to main menu without exiting mail, hence keeping connection. Not sure this will work for you though. It depends on what king of connection you have to your mail account. Some specific ports or SSL in use my prevent you from internet browsing.

monica _69
26-04-2007, 04:22 PM
hi, newbie here !

i've checked all the settings and cannot find the proper setting !!!

is there a way to automatically end the phone conversation by sliding the phone into the closed position ? everytime i end a conversation, i have to press the red hangup button. I've set it up for "any key to answer" already.

thanks for spoon feeding me !!!

Monica

Alastair
26-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Route speeds
I think it's well established now that the route calculation on the N95 is seriously dysfunctional. I've just calculated the journey from Oxford to Salisbury (England) and been told 2hr 44 min. It's actually 1hr 15 min, at normal driving speeds - exactly as Autoroute says.
But then I realised that the N95 doesn't ask for mode of transport, or driving speeds.

It clearly thinks I'm on a bicycle - or has anyone seen how to set driving speeds?

superswede
26-04-2007, 08:55 PM
hi, newbie here !

i've checked all the settings and cannot find the proper setting !!!

is there a way to automatically end the phone conversation by sliding the phone into the closed position ? everytime i end a conversation, i have to press the red hangup button. I've set it up for "any key to answer" already.

thanks for spoon feeding me !!!

Monica

You can stop looking, there's no such option/setting. Have to press the red "hangup" button or simply wait for the network to end the session after the other person has hung up.

David0203
26-04-2007, 10:54 PM
When done with mail, instead of selecting "Exit" press the menu button (left from nav-pad). This will bring you to main menu without exiting mail, hence keeping connection. Not sure this will work for you though. It depends on what king of connection you have to your mail account. Some specific ports or SSL in use my prevent you from internet browsing.

Thanks! It works perfectly!

Doggen
27-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Second quesiton.
2. Is there a way to turn of the camera shutter sound?

Thanks

First i don't have the N95, but i had this same problem with the 6680.
2 things you can try, first choose a profile that is quite (meeting,no sound etc.)
if that doesnt work, here's an other way (el cheapo)
Make a call, open the camera lens, take a photo...with the 6680 it's quiet when your having a call established.

seki
27-04-2007, 06:17 AM

Press and hold the Menu button .. this brings up a list of running tasks .. choose the one you want.. game over :D

siehook
28-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here. I just got my Nokia N95, recently. My N95 have a few problems which really frustrate me, but i'm not sure whether you guys are having the same problem like mine or not... Anyway, just would like to share, maybe you guys know where the problem lies and know what are the solutions to rectify it?

1) Caller ID. My N95 couldn't identify caller if I add + Country code in front of each of the phone numbers in my phone contact. However, if I remove the + country code from the number in my contact or swapping to use a GSM sim card (currently using 3G line), instead of the 3G's one, my N95 has no problem in identifying who is the caller. I have been trying all the 3G SIM card from my friends on my phone, and I'am having the same problem. So, for this case, is it my N95 problem or my telco's problem?

2) Unable to make call in dual-mode network band. I suppose the choice of dual mode band selection is for automatically switching between GSM & UTMS band. But what weird is that, I can't make any calls with dual-mode band selected if with my 3G sim card in it. Whenever I attempt to make call, an error message will prompt and inform me that the Network is currently busy. Then, without making changes to the network band selection, I swap and insert in my GSM sim card, and it works fine. I can make calls like normal. Up to here, I begin having doubts that this N95 is actually a 3G phone or not. It doesn't seems like 3G friendly to me.

3) Unable to write my micro-SD card with my computer. The last problem I have with my N95 is that I can't write anything into my micro-SD card with my card reader from my PC. Now, i believe some of you might comment me to check whether the write-protection lock on the SD adapter is free or not. I have check that out and it is always "free". It seems like my card is lock from the factory and I simply just couldn't find a way to unlock it. FYI, I have no problem writing anything onto my micro SD card with my phone, neither I have any problem transfer file from my computer over the USB/bluetooth into my micro SD card. Also, I have tried to unlock the card by modifying the ACL properties of the card when it is plugged into my computer and appearing it as F:\. But whenever I untick the "read only" permission and click Ok, it will automatically change back to "read only" permission status. Is there anyway to rectify this problem?

I'm looking forward to read from you guys soon. Lastly, I would like to give thanks in advance for those who try to contribute and to those who read it. Thank you very much & may God bless you all.

Cheers & Regards,
Caesar

jmcconville
28-04-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi, I'm having 2 problems... unfortunately with the features that attracted me to N95. First, when I try to start navigation (after paying for it on Smart2go), I get an error message "Error while downloading". It also prompts me to download the same route over and over again.

Second problem is connecting to wi-fi (802.11g) network at home. I get error messages trying to connect to it as well. I tried turning WEP off on router, but always get same result... no connection.

I am in US with t-mobile (t-zones) connection. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Jim

dez_borders
28-04-2007, 09:15 AM
3) Unable to write my micro-SD card with my computer. The last problem I have with my N95 is that I can't write anything into my micro-SD card with my card reader from my PC.

Hi Caesar,

Can't say I have encountered any of the problems you are having but wanted to comment on the 3rd problem - writing to MicroSD using you PC's card reader.

If the MicroSD card is working fine in the N95, why not attach the Nokia USB Data Cable to the PC USB port and put the N95 into Mass-Storage mode? This is effectively the same as taking the card out of the N95 and putting it into a card reader on the PC. You see a new drive letter on the PC and can read/write/view all files and folders, including hidden & system ones. Hope this helps.

Dez

nauhcmik
29-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Hi all.

I hope I can get an answer to this simple question.

I have installed the FExplorer version 1.16_beta on my N95 phone so that I can go to C:\System\Apps\Phone to delete the folder "Phone" and then restart the phone like what many other Symbian forums recommend. I am doing this so as to remove the ugly operator logo on the phone's main page.

However, I only see "Lifeblog" under C:\System\Apps and nothing else. FYI, "Lifeblog" is just one of the applications of N95.

May I know where I can find this "Phone" folder for N95? But perhaps the most pressing root problem is:

"What is the correct way to remove the operator logo for N95 phones?"

Thanks so much guys. I appreciate any help I can get from here.

Kim (Singapore)

seki
29-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Hi all.

I hope I can get an answer to this simple question.

I have installed the FExplorer version 1.16_beta on my N95 phone so that I can go to C:\System\Apps\Phone to delete the folder "Phone" and then restart the phone like what many other Symbian forums recommend. I am doing this so as to remove the ugly operator logo on the phone's main page.

However, I only see "Lifeblog" under C:\System\Apps and nothing else. FYI, "Lifeblog" is just one of the applications of N95.

May I know where I can find this "Phone" folder for N95? But perhaps the most pressing root problem is:

"What is the correct way to remove the operator logo for N95 phones?"

Thanks so much guys. I appreciate any help I can get from here.

Kim (Singapore)

I haven't got your problem .. or "Phone" Folder .. but a few other apps are installed there .. try it.
I use Y-browser to look at this system stuff .. but its likely your FExplorer will do the same.

Good luck!:)

nauhcmik
29-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi seki,

I don't seem to have a Z drive when I check my phone directories using FExplorer. Why do you have it?

Where can I download the Y! Browser application?

When you say you don't have the problem, do you mean that you have no need to remove the operator logo?

Thanks,
Kim

nauhcmik
29-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry. I do have a Z drive. But I don't see "Phone" under Z:\System\Apps.

Sgh....

seki
29-04-2007, 11:11 AM
can you point out where you got the info ..
while looking about I did notice a few things .. Operatorlogo etc ..
While I wouldn't advise killing such files .. perhaps renaming them might do the trick? But without the same set up I can't test the effect. So do this at your own risk!

Good luck!

TheCleanerLeon
29-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Hello, I got the N95 in the UK on its launch day, and coming from a very old 6230 (not the 'i' with 1.3MP) i have actually found some loss in conveniances moving from old nokia software to symbian.

Firstly, a bit of a frustration currently is the lack of ability to 'Insert Number' into an sms. For instance, the good old 6230 had options for: insert; contact, number, template, picture, smiley, word, symbol.

Some of these have been taken care of, but i honestly cant see why nokia has put an 'insert' menu item in options, and filled it with only one thing; template. How silly, it seems like who-ever was meant to fill the dropdown went to lunch and forgot about it, otherwise why wouldnt you save a step and just have 'insert template' in the main options...
its basic schoolboy rules of programming not to have a sublist contain only one item, it adds an un-needed step

anyway, i guess its something that cant be solved at present by anyone but nokia, but how do you guys currently do it; just inserting a number while in the middle of writing a text?

Also, how can i make my inbox display [first name] [last name] instead of vice versa? My contacts are arranged [first name] [last name].. the rest of the phone should follow suite.

Finally, is there anything which can be change in contacts to make typing a letter only search the first letter of the contacts (and since ive chosen [first] [last] i know im after peoples first letter of first names), its highly frustrating that it simply locates every contact containing that letter

blackshadowlb
29-04-2007, 08:33 PM
thanks for this beautifull web site .any way i am looking for a tv program for nokia n95 if that possible thanks .

dhan_shh
30-04-2007, 12:35 PM
When I hear a song from 'Music player' in loud speaker and if I get a call,my N95 turns 'silent' after the end of the call,-------------Music player is running but no sound,no ringing even if a new call comes ?! But if I restart the phone everything becomes normal.

But if repeat the sequence,same 'silent' mode,corrected by 'restart'.

Fortunately,this does not happen if I attach 'handsfree'--a song playing interrupted by a call-----song resumes at the end of call.

Only in 'Loud speaker' mode the problem of 'silent' persists.But,fortunately getting normalized after 'reboot'.

Is it a common problem? is there any way to correct it.I even verified that there is no other running apps,no wifi,no gps,display brtness minimum.

Kindly help me for a remedy,Thanx in advance.

ryu_loo
30-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Rafe,

When I take videos using n95, i noticed there's a red light beaming from the flash LED. It can be pretty annoying especially when shooting people at night time. Do you know if this red light can be removed?

Thanks.

Regards, Ryu.

Jurgen_Nokia
30-04-2007, 09:59 PM
VOIP users that have gained access to the services you wanted, please contribute to this thread - http://www.whatmobile.net/forumvb/showthread.php?t=16542

Br,
Jurgen

nauhcmik
01-05-2007, 06:48 AM
seki,

I am not sure where I got that info because I did not note down the link but I got 2 separate sources saying that there is such a folder and deleting the "Phone" folder and restarting the phone will remove the operator logo. However, I cannot confirm that this instruction is for some specific N-series phone or not. I am also not sure with the new Symbian OS version (not sure if I have said it rigtht) for N95, does this apply still.

Granted that this might be risky, I would still like to know how to remove the operator logo for N95 with the new Symbian OS version.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks a whole lot!!

Kim

seki
01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello.
What happens when you launch "Camera" application from menu in landscape mode, when the 5MP shutter is closed? Could you please make a screeshot of such situation please?
Thanks

The secondary camera activates - it doesn't fill the screen - it is in portrait mode.
This is with the latest firmware. :)

nauhcmik
01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi all.

1) Does anyone face the problem of your N95 sending empty SMSes to people when you have left the keypad locked and phone in your pocket.

Recently, one of my friends got like 13 or so empty SMSes from me and I did not even send any!!

This seems weird.

2) Also, how do one check if one has the latest firmware on the phone?

3) What is the latest formware version by the way?

Thank y'all!

Kim

just_learning..
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Yesterday i bought the n95 in bangkok Thailand (I live there). Their leaflet 'key applications & technologies for the n95' says i can get a free (yes free!!) city map by clicking on the Asia Maps icon. However i can't find the icon - it's not there! - do i need to install the program & if so - how???
All ideas welcomed.....

hb328_dtdd
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
hi can anyone tell me if I changed the product code to say VIETNAMESE then flashed the latest vietnamese FIRMWARE then would my n95 have vietnamese language? or would i need to install language pack?

if so where can I download language packs?