View Full Version : Would You Change Your N93 For A N93i?

Super Chimp
18-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I kind of feel the N93i is what the N93 should have been from the start. From the review on here plus elsewhere on the web it seems Nokia have had a go at dealing with two of the main issues I have with the phone that is its size/weight & still camera performance. With the added issue of the problems I have had with my particular N93. I wonder if its worth the change?

My 2 concerns about changing are the N93i keypad & how much I could sell my N93 for especially if I cannot say for certain it is fault free?

N/A
18-01-2007, 01:50 PM
The N93i keypad is not good, IMO, I find those flat, metallic ones almost unbearable. I'd never use a phone with such a keypad as my main or only phone.

Jules_N93
18-01-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm very happy with my N93, and i like it's design much better, so for me, no way.

OGLES
18-01-2007, 05:50 PM
True..

I don't like the design of the N93i either.. Shiny Mettalic Surface = Finger Prints, Smudges & Scratches ;)

Super Chimp
18-01-2007, 05:57 PM
This is a mute point now as my N93 was nicked off me on the way back from me collecting it after it was repaired! :(

Rafe
18-01-2007, 06:33 PM
This is a mute point now as my N93 was nicked off me on the way back from me collecting it after it was repaired! :(

Ouch, that really sucks :(

I would say stick with a N93 if you have one, if not the n93i for its size and weight save, although its not an easy choice in some ways.

GoodCop
19-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear about that loss...but maybe the gods in their own wicked ways are telling you it's time to get an N93i? :rolleyes:

In an effort to balance out all of you "i" hatin' ppl, I just need to say I think it's rather sexy and that I'd change my old N93 in a heartbeat if no costs were involved. I like the smaller size and what they've done with the sidestick. Using the side mounted joypad on the N93 when in camera mode is always a bit of a gamble with friction and gravity. Using the wrist strap would be too nerdy, even for me. I leave that one for the wii enabled.

I believe you're right about the keypad, although, I won't put too much ill judgement on the new one until I've tried it.

Super Chimp
19-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Ouch, that really sucks :(

I would say stick with a N93 if you have one, if not the n93i for its size and weight save, although its not an easy choice in some ways.

Somebody phoned me to say they had found it & were going to hand it into the local police. Here's hoping I get it back OK!

blue13x
19-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I think for it being a "upgrade" it has mane "downgrades" like the smaller battery, black and white color screen, they didn't even bother putting 3rd FP1, those flat keys are not as good as the N93, and the N93i will relaly get dirty easily.
'Also the upgraded VOX blogging can also be added to N93, I laready out it on mine.
So this leaves the new themes as the only real "upgrades"

So no, I will stay with the n93 untill something in the same form factor comes along, like something like N97

Super Chimp
19-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Finally got my N93 back & it has been flashed to the most current firmware which apparently is the same as before which is V11. So it looks like the V20 firmware has been completely withdrawn by Nokia.

I did ask at the time & was told their are no official firmwares later than that in the UK. The update was not done in the shop it was sent away that's why it took so long.

Dogmann
25-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Super Chimp,

Sorry but what you are being told is utter rubbish i had my N93 flashed at a Nokia Service Point as soon as they announced this was the only way it would be available and it was being withdrawn from the NSU for the time being on 12/12/2006. Anyway it is now back available on NSU for you to do at home.

On the other point there is no way i would swap my N93 for a N93i as i hate the N93i keypad and love the N93 keypad. Plus i have no issues at all with the D-Pad controls on the N93 and use them both in camera mode and for controlling Music without the need to open up my N93. Also i think the N93 just looks so much better than the N93i but that's just MO

Marc

Super Chimp
26-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I got my N93 back directly from Nokia this time & it now has V20. But not just that my phone has been physically re-built to some degree. The guy at CPW told me the phone had been repaired & rebuilt. Looking at it I would say at least 20% of the phones hardware has been replaced. It certainly has a new section where the on/off button is as this used to be scratched & isn't now, plus the hinge seems to have been replaced & the inside back panel appears to be new. Looking inside the memory card used to be scratched but appears to be new & unscratched. Why Nokia felt the need to replace all this on my N93 I am unsure, all I can think is my N93 was more faulty than I knew. I didn't even know you could replace that much on phones because of the way they were made.

wnasir
12-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Guys,

I just got my n93 and its really nice, and if you compare to n93i there is no big differance between them and even I like n93 more, as it has really nice keypad which is easy to dial number and also the shape, so no way to change it

yyzxmn
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Chimp

You'd be amazed at how many parts are specified to be discarded and replaced just opening up an N93/N93i to look around/service its innards according to Nokia's own service manuals!! For better or worse, there's not a lot of recycling going on.

Super Chimp
21-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Well as long as I don't go through the same issues with my N95 I will be happy.