View Full Version : Installing/Re-installing TomTom 6

Berns
27-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi,
This is driving me mad so I hope someone can help...

I've got TomTom Navigator 6 on Mini SD (The shop were meant to get it on DVD but didn't). Anyway, I've got a card reader and copied the stuff onto a 1gb MicroSD. Put it in the phone and everything worked fine - been using it successfully for a month or so. The only thing that has been annoying me is that there are multiple TomTom folders at the top level of the card. So I thought I'd have a go at seeing whether I can re-install and/or re-organise... big mistake. To cut a long story short I de-installed TomTom but I couldn't manage to get any other structure to work so gave up. However, I can't manage to re-install it now.

I've completely erased the memory card and re-copied from the MiniSD, but when I place it in the phone and turn it on it doesn't automatically start/install (I'm fairly sure it did previously!) and if I try and install it from App Manager (it is listed as uninstalled) it simply errors saying Unable to Install.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bern.

nj7
27-12-2006, 09:04 PM
See with application manager if you have some TT stuff installed, and remove. If is not the case, do a phone backup of personal things, and format *#7370# the phone.

Berns
28-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Apologies for my ignorance, what is/are TT?

I've got the following apps installed:

Reuters (by Tui)
World Mate (by MobiMate)
KeypadLock (by Tektronic) (TT?)
GolfPro 2 (by Synergenix)

Thanks!

nj7
28-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I mean TT - Tomtom! Seems anything inside related with Tomtom. Do a backup and format the device.

Berns
28-12-2006, 07:26 PM
:icon14: Success - I reset the phone and re-installed and all was well. Not quite sure what I'd done to break it in the first place though!

Thanks very much for your help!

dlscot01
28-12-2006, 07:33 PM
:icon14: Success - I reset the phone and re-installed and all was well. Not quite sure what I'd done to break it in the first place though!

Thanks very much for your help!

Hi Berns:
I've been searching reviews on TT v6 for Symbian phones but could not find the answer I seek. Can you tell your experience regading the following:

If you are driving along a pre-planned route and suddenly decide that you want to stay at a hotel (or find a Gas station or whatever), will TT list the nearest hotels to your current path and once you have chosen a hotel, how long does it take to calculate the new route?

Also, could you please list the phone you use with TT?

Many thanks!

Berns
28-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi,
I'm somewhat new to TomTom so I've only limited experience of using it... However, just by browsing TT now (without GPS attached), I can ask it to direct me to a particular POI (point of interest). It then prompts me as to whether I want those nearest to my current location, my home, a city of my choice, any along the route I'm taking or one near my destination. Certainly by default, POIs include hotels, petrol stations, cash machines, etc... It would appear it lists the nearest at the top of the list.

Normal route calculation takes maybe 5 seconds (I guess it will depend on how far away your destination is).

I'm using a Nokia E50.

I'm happy with the software itself so far, but like I say, early days...

dlscot01
28-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi,
I'm somewhat new to TomTom so I've only limited experience of using it... However, just by browsing TT now (without GPS attached), I can ask it to direct me to a particular POI (point of interest). It then prompts me as to whether I want those nearest to my current location, my home, a city of my choice, any along the route I'm taking or one near my destination. Certainly by default, POIs include hotels, petrol stations, cash machines, etc... It would appear it lists the nearest at the top of the list.

Normal route calculation takes maybe 5 seconds (I guess it will depend on how far away your destination is).

I'm using a Nokia E50.

I'm happy with the software itself so far, but like I say, early days...

I read a pretty complete review on TT v5 for Symbian & this issue was mentioned. It's hard to know if nav software will meet one's needs without an exhaustive review. I am definitely going to pick it up now. Thanks for the info!

cathrbsn
05-02-2007, 05:11 AM
I had basically the same problem with TomTom. I followed your instructions. Backed up the phone then Formatted my Nokia E61.

Now every time I turn the E61 on it says it is: "Installing."

Then it says it is: "Unable to complete installation from memory card. Go to Application Manager to complete installation."

I can connect to Nokia PC Suite, no problem. And the phone works as a phone.

But I cannot connect through Data Transfer as it says "Unable to activate Data Transfer Mode. Memory Card is in use by another application."

So I can't even attempt to reinstall TomTom!?

nj7
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Once that also happens to me, and the problem was the memory card, not appropriate for the phone. If possible check the phone with another brand, and with a fast memory card.

dhruvkataria
22-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi
I have a tomtom 6 software on Micro SD. When I 1st Installed it ..it just worked fine. But everything looked so unorganized on the micro sd that I decided to format it and reload the tomtom 6 software . Now my phone doesnt recognise the presence of the software or does a self install.
Tries formating it
Changing the name of the mem card.
Tried reseting Nokia e65
pls help if you have any solution.
Thanks..