View Full Version : Cannot uninstall old Nokia Software Updater

truetype
28-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I have downloaded the Nokia Software Updater from the UK website a few weeks ago. It did not work with my e61.

Now a recently installed update of the PC Suite has the Update function included. However, when I open it, it says "A new version is available",, then it downloads and installs it - But nothing happens. When I start the updater again, it downloads the new version again, even after a restart of the computer.

When I try to uninstall the Nokia Software Updater via the uninstall-functionality provided by the program or by the Microsoft uninstall feature, I get the error message that it cannot find "Nokia Software Updater.msi" (more precisely, it says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"). The search function of MS also cannot find the Updater msi.

Any ideas how I can uninstall the old Nokia Software Updater anyway and/or install the new one?

nj7
28-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Delete the folder where it is. After that, use a regclean software, to clean the registry, and delete all entries related with NSU. Reboot the PC, and install again the last version.

truetype
28-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Delete the folder where it is. After that, use a regclean software, to clean the registry, and delete all entries related with NSU. Reboot the PC, and install again the last version.Thanks for this info. Sounds rather tricky to me (not a registry expert). Is there any good regclean software for free?

Or does maybe somebody even know an "official" way of doing the uninstall? :(

E61DRC
28-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Have you tried getting the latest version of the Nokia Software Updater from the Nokia website and installing this?

truetype
28-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Have you tried getting the latest version of the Nokia Software Updater from the Nokia website and installing this?Yes, I did. After starting the installation, the application tried to uninstall the old version and ended up just where I did previously.

Maybe if I could get the Nokia Software Updater.msi file somewhere, but it seems to be part of the installation package only and apparently it is deleted if the installation is not complete? At least I could never find it on my computer (search including hidden files, system files, etc.).

What a pain, and no phone update possible before it is uninstalled...

nj7
29-11-2006, 11:04 AM
After delete the folder, use CCleaner to do a general cleaning registry process. After that, take RegCleaner 4.3 - Juoni Vuorio, and delete all entries related with NSU. Reboot the PC and install again. The two softwares, googlit for them, because are both free.

truetype
30-11-2006, 03:35 PM
After delete the folder, use CCleaner to do a general cleaning registry process. After that, take RegCleaner 4.3 - Juoni Vuorio, and delete all entries related with NSU. Reboot the PC and install again. The two softwares, googlit for them, because are both free.
Thanks a lot for this. I'll try it when I find some time. Call me a coward, but I'm always a bit hesitant when it comes to playing with the registry. :cool: :)

ratza
04-12-2006, 07:10 AM
If you are afraid to mess the registers, backup them with regedit. Right click on the My Computer -> Export and save the file somewhere. If you mess something up, you just need to double click the backup. Easy ;)

truetype
22-12-2006, 09:45 AM
After delete the folder, use CCleaner to do a general cleaning registry process. After that, take RegCleaner 4.3 - Juoni Vuorio, and delete all entries related with NSU. Reboot the PC and install again. The two softwares, googlit for them, because are both free.Thanks again for this hint. Unfortunately, this did not help. In the end, I found a working solution (see below):

I have used CCleaner, RegCleaner, and also the "Nokia PC Suite Cleaner", available from Nokia. That program is designed to clean up the mess the PC Suite seems to create in quite a few cases - why else would they provide that tool?

I have unistalled PC Suite and everything else Nokia, and deleted every single registry entry faintly resembling Nokia. I still had the same problem (see above).

However, this time there was an additional error message at the end of the process. Via the error number I found "Windows Installer Clean Up", a Microsoft Program (free). Believe it or not, THIS helped. I installed and ran the program und deleted the Nokia Software Updater entries via this program. After some additional installing, restarting etc. I was able to solve the problem and run the update. Hope it works for other cases, too.