View Full Version : Sony Ericsson P990 a big step backwards


Jim-CH
07-11-2006, 11:03 PM
the Sony Ericsson P990 is a big disappointment and a giant step back from the P910. The P910 was easy to use and logical in it's menu structure. The P990 on the other hand must have earned the designers a price for how not to do it. Could it be the language barrier between Japan and Sweden ?
Apart from the missing jog-dial, the P990 can neither be fully and completely operated with the Flip keyboard open or closed. It's a constant up and down to access all functions. Many features are more than clumsy and incomplete. A Number of functions do not work (if operated in accordance to the manual) Last but not least the battery last at best 1 day. (the Phone is new not even a month old)

jah
08-11-2006, 07:48 PM
the Sony Ericsson P990 is a big disappointment and a giant step back from the P910. The P910 was easy to use and logical in it's menu structure. The P990 on the other hand must have earned the designers a price for how not to do it. Could it be the language barrier between Japan and Sweden ?
Apart from the missing jog-dial, the P990 can neither be fully and completely operated with the Flip keyboard open or closed. It's a constant up and down to access all functions. Many features are more than clumsy and incomplete. A Number of functions do not work (if operated in accordance to the manual) Last but not least the battery last at best 1 day. (the Phone is new not even a month old)

Disagree. You don't mention:

- wifi
- BT 2
- 3G
- 2MP camera
- fantastic music reproduction
- video at 30 fps
- 8GB Duo card support

I have a P910 and P990 and have no issues in adjusting to a different philosophy. UIQ3 is not a standard Windows like computer interface. Its about doing activities and therefore closer to PalmOS. A colleague with a P900 had no problems in using my P990 once I explained this difference.

cdforduk
17-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Got to agree
Just switched from a P910i to P990i and love it !
Yes its different but like anything just needs time to play around & get used to it
My main upset is the BlackBerry client... It works.. great but if I drop off 3G it stalls and will not re-start unless I re-boot the phone.. Not good !!

Like all things in life 99% OK but its the other 1 % that makes the difference

Regards

Chris D Ford