View Full Version : N73 usb cable connection problem

neuro2006
06-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I've used my N73 to transfer files between itself and my pc quite a lot in the week or so that I've had it, but tonight I come across the same issue that my friend's N80 experienced. Basically if I move the cable around, even slightly, the connection is lost. Then I have to get the connection back and enable PC suite mode. Most annoying.

I went through a whole world of pain upgrading last year and having a load of problems with the new phone, and I really don't want it to happen again, but it looks like I will have to send it back.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common issue? If I'd had it a couple of months then it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but a week?!

:con?

mr g
07-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I think the best thing you could do is to not play about with the phone whilst it's connected,then a connection wont be lost:icon14:

nj7
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Agree. Pop-port is not the most firm connection method.

neuro2006
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I think the best thing you could do is to not play about with the phone whilst it's connected,then a connection wont be lost:icon14:

I have to play around with it to KEEP it connected. Presumably this is going to be the same situation if I ever use hands free or listen to music with it.

Phone going back :icon14:

Martin_F
11-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I have to play around with it to KEEP it connected. Presumably this is going to be the same situation if I ever use hands free or listen to music with it.

Phone going back :icon14:

Hi neuro

I have this too with my N73. The strange thing is that it doesn't suffer from the poor connection problem with the hands free headphones. This kind of points to dodgy connectors on the actual USB cable... but Iím not convinced yet.

It's not always practical not to move the phone or cable as was suggested as a solution above. No matter how you try, the phone tends to get nudged or in my case an inquisitive customer picks it up in the middle of something.

I can't bring myself to return the phone as Iíve spent ages tweaking it and not sure how much of the tweaking is retained in a backup/restore process... also suspect I wont get a new unit in return.

neuro2006
11-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi neuro

I have this too with my N73. The strange thing is that it doesn't suffer from the poor connection problem with the hands free headphones. This kind of points to dodgy connectors on the actual USB cable... but Iím not convinced yet.

It's not always practical not to move the phone or cable as was suggested as a solution above. No matter how you try, the phone tends to get nudged or in my case an inquisitive customer picks it up in the middle of something.

I can't bring myself to return the phone as Iíve spent ages tweaking it and not sure how much of the tweaking is retained in a backup/restore process... also suspect I wont get a new unit in return.

Spookily enough the problem seems to be resolved now. I was all set to return the phone, but now I think I'll keep hold of it.

Considering getting bluetooth dongle for transfers anyway. I wonder if when connected by bluetooth I will be able to transfer files using adobe photo downloader in the same way that I can with the cable? Presumably not as fast though, but that's not too much hassle.

jonboy99
12-11-2006, 12:52 AM
How strange - mine's doing the same tonight too. No problems before. Can't maintain a connection at all. Hopefully it'll sort itself out.

Martin_F
12-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Spookily enough the problem seems to be resolved now. I was all set to return the phone, but now I think I'll keep hold of it.

Considering getting bluetooth dongle for transfers anyway. I wonder if when connected by bluetooth I will be able to transfer files using adobe photo downloader in the same way that I can with the cable? Presumably not as fast though, but that's not too much hassle.

It is quite spooky isn't it, cos mine seems to be working fine at the moment too! Blue tooth is fine and I guess will probably work with most apps but it is a little slow compared with USB. I wish I knew what was causing the intermittent nature of this fault. I considered buying another USB cable to see if that would help, but they were £35 in Carphone wh*re house.

MickH1
13-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I get lost connections when using the USB cable on my N73 too. Just one of those things, I guess.

I find if I clean the contacts of the cable and POP Port with a bit of Blue-Tac, it helps to keep the connection. because the POP Port is exposed to the elements, all sorts of dust and cr@p can get in there.

My Nokia 6670 was worse. I only had to f@rt and the connection went Tango Uniform. Windows would be going "Du-Dum, Bing-Bong, Du-Dum, Bing-Bong":mad:

jonboy99
14-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, mine was still dodgy after a few days. Both connections were clean so I ordered a cable from ebay for £5 - problem solved (for now). It was sold as genuine although it has no nokia logos moulded in so i'm guessing it isn't.

Hopefully will last a bit longer than the genuine one :mad: