View Full Version : N73 - Installation of 'xyz' not supported

Dolph
02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey there all

My first post here, so here goes.....

While trying to install some apps/games, I get the message "Installation of 'xyz' not supported". Any ideas why, and if there is a way round it? I've got a feeling it's something to do with certification, but I'm probably wrong.

My set is a 73 on O2 UK

Cheers

N/A
02-11-2006, 11:36 AM
First thing to check: Make sure you're trying to install an app specifically made for S60 3rd Edition (the N73 or any other device based on S60 3rd Ed.).

No apps made for earlier versions (S60 1st Ed., or S60 2nd Ed.) will work on the N73, if they come in .sis files (.jar files = mobile Java apps will work).

Next check that "All" is set/selected for: menu > Tools > App. mgr. > Options > Settings > Software installation

Sy4
08-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Very interesting.

I'm having a similar problem with Vodafone N73 atm.

I got a free n73 from CarPhoneWarehouse for helping them out on a project and it is completely debranded and de-locked. I can install any themes, apps, games, etc that I want.

Now, I had the opportunity to upgrade on my Vodafone account to a n73 for 23.00 - Great, means the wife can use the debranded one and I'll use the "locked" version. Shouldn't be a problem.

However, I was completely and utterly wrong.

Having spent 25 minutes argueing with business support AND their handset division, they have now told me that it isn't a problem with the "Sim Locking" but a problem with the certification, and I need to address this with Nokia.

They did not seem to understand that due to their SIM LOCK process, and the software, it stops me from making Themes via the official Nokia SDK and loading them onto the phone. When trying to install it, it says : Unable to Install - Certificate not Authorised.

Vodafone then told me, this is to stop copyrighted material being used illegally and I would not experience this problem should I purchase a Theme from Vodafone, as they have paid all copyright. I then tried to explain to them that I OWN the copyright, as I made the theme.

This is when they claimed I didnt know what I was talking about and I can either pay 25 to have it unlocked, OR, send the phone back.

So, the question ultimately is....

Will Dolphs Suggestion work? and if I do Unlock it and pay their "RANSOM!", will this resolve the problems.

Thanks
Matt

Sy4
08-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Right.

First and foremost, THANK YOU DOLPH!

Worked and I can install everything. I do find it amusing that someone from Voda Handset division didn't know this!

Secondly....I dont feel bad bitching at Voda, going to keep it up anyhows ;) lol ... Keeps em on their toes ;)

Thanks
Matt

John-Jack
08-11-2006, 08:49 PM
...Is anyone else totally confused by this thread?
What did Dolph say to do?

Sy4
09-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Make sure the setting for Certificates is changed to ALL and not just SIGNED.

Go Here: menu > Tools > App. mgr. > Options > Settings > Software installation

And select ALL.

Problem sorted :)

-------- Above tip provided by Dolp-----------