View Full Version : Unlocking N73 - how easy?

rutter
01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Afternoon All,

New to this forum - although not new to symbian os.

Having got rid of my trusty 6680 for an HTC Wizard (o2 xda mini-s) I'm now desperatley missing my old nokia and symbian os.
I HATE windows mobile 5!! :)

Anyway, am now selling my XDA, and am planning to get an N73, from fleabay probably.
Anyway, as I'm on O2 I ideally need an unlocked handset. However, I've noticed that locked handsets generally go for cheaper.

So, my question is, how easy is it to unlock a N73? Is it network dependant?
Any software (preferably free) which will do the job?
Will flashing the firmware do it?

Might save me a few quid if I get a locked one and unlock myself.....
Or is it more hassle than it's worth?

Any help or advice much appreciated...
Paul

adancau
01-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't think there's a way at the moment to unlock an N73 (as well as the other S60 3rd edition phones). You need to go to the network operator the N73 is locked on and ask them to unlock it (usually for a fee).

rutter
01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much.... GITS! :mad:

saxo_appeal
24-11-2006, 07:46 PM
its free if your with virgin

clonmult
27-11-2006, 02:56 PM
its free if your with virgin

You sure its free? Normally its effectively chargeable, either they take credit from your account, or maybe they do it for "free" if you've been making a huge amount of calls. Either way, I can't see them truly doing it for nothing.

kurama
19-12-2006, 08:26 AM
may ask what is the latest about unlocking s60 series and wat date will they release the software:D

McZanteXF1
25-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Any news on this, i have the nokiafree program, but i don't know if unlocking N73 is possible...??

lovesign
25-12-2006, 11:47 AM
I just got my 6680 unlocked by Vodafone for free, albeit at the end of my 18 month contract with them. The lady on the phone said it was normal policy to unlock all phones on request after 12 months. This may not be the same for all network providers though.

As for freely available software to do this ourselves, well, I guess someone somewhere will eventually make it available, legitimately or otherwise, but the network providers or Nokia won't make it easy as branded phones that are tied to a network are essential for them to retain business.

cool0
18-11-2009, 11:16 AM
You go for the unlocking code..It's the safest and easiest way of unlocking....This is the site http://www.unlocking4u.com/ which provides the unlocking service for your nokia..With the help of this you can unlock your mobile easily..

mahikarthik198
24-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I have nokia n73 music edition,i have unlocked my mobile http://www.mobile-unlocker.com/ in this site for low cost.