View Full Version : I've got it, and I love it!

John-Jack
30-10-2006, 10:11 PM
My N73 on Orange, I mean...
I've managed to remove most of the shit, HOWEVER>>>
I saw a thread once about it automatically connecting to Orange Internet at boot, but not actually transferring any data. I can't find the thread anymore, did anyone have a solution?
Thanks!

Larry70465
14-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I am in the process of talking myself into renewing my Orange contract which is now several months overdue. Back in February when I first started getting the plague of "Hi, want to renew your contract?" calls, I tried a new Orange 6630 and it went back almost immediately (within 2 days) because of the cursed "home screen" and other Orange bits which I could could'nt get rid of.

Having had hefty mobile bills this year through work, I now find myself in a position of some strength and can probably nobble an N73 for nowt if I play my cards right. However, it would be nice to know exactly how crippled the Orange version is before I leap in with both feet.

So, I have read that you can now "switch off" homescreen on the N73, but what was the "other sh*t" you had to nobble please?

Many thanks

Larry

(I'm loathed to leave Orange because of the invaluable "Line 2" functionality.)

John-Jack
15-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Easy!
I wasn't too fussed with the Orange stuff to start with...
It came with "Photography" and "Or.Mu.Pl" which seemed to be Orange Music Player... I removed those, changed the theme and turned off Homescreen.
There were still problems, though, like the startup screen was an Orange rollercoaster*wtf* thing, and it would connect to Orange Internet automatically at boot (this could be disconnected and would stay d/c until next boot, but it pissed me off) so...
I used NSS (free) to change the product code to a non-Orange handset, then used Nokia's Updater (also free) to debrand the handset online! Loads of people have been doing this and it works perfectly, everything is back to how Nokia put it, and from looking at the menu there is SO MUCH stuff that Orange remove.
So yeah, I recommend the N73 as it is rather awesome, but it's best to do the debranding online asap :tongue:
Jack.

OH: and as far as I can see, Line 2 still seems to work under the debranded firmware =S Which is odd for a Nokia

biglunn
15-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Easy!
I wasn't too fussed with the Orange stuff to start with...
It came with "Photography" and "Or.Mu.Pl" which seemed to be Orange Music Player... I removed those, changed the theme and turned off Homescreen.
There were still problems, though, like the startup screen was an Orange rollercoaster*wtf* thing, and it would connect to Orange Internet automatically at boot (this could be disconnected and would stay d/c until next boot, but it pissed me off) so...
I used NSS (free) to change the product code to a non-Orange handset, then used Nokia's Updater (also free) to debrand the handset online! Loads of people have been doing this and it works perfectly, everything is back to how Nokia put it, and from looking at the menu there is SO MUCH stuff that Orange remove.
So yeah, I recommend the N73 as it is rather awesome, but it's best to do the debranding online asap :tongue:
Jack.

OH: and as far as I can see, Line 2 still seems to work under the debranded firmware =S Which is odd for a Nokia

Hello John-Jack!

Im thinking of doing exactly the same!

Just want to ask.... what did you change your product to? My current product ID is 0541149, which I presume is the same as all Orange N73s? Would backing up using Nokia Suiute make sure I keep all my SMS/MMS settings? Cheers in advance!

John-Jack
15-11-2006, 12:29 PM
EURO1 (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese)
Hope this helps
Also, apparently the PC Suite backup will NOT restore onto V3 firmware, so what you want to do is move apps to the memory card, sync LIFEBLOG to copy your message, pictures, videos and everything to the PC (can be transferred back later) and use OUTLOOK SYNC to get your contacts and calendar and stuff.
Jack.

Albie999
15-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Where can I get this NSS product changer from?

So pretty much, all you need to do is change the product code, download the nokia updater, and then let the updater flash the ROM.

Where did you get all the Orange settings back from, such as the SMS, MMS and GPRS and Internet settings from?

John-Jack
15-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Detailed Instructions here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53110

USE PRODUCT CODE EURO1 (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese)

Make sure you change your product code BACK afterwards, so you can play ignorant on your warranty if it develops a fault which is blatantly NOT caused by the flashing of Generic Firmware!
The Orange settings installed THEMSELF automatically! That was pretty cool!!

Final Edit: Yeah, you just change the product code, then reboot! The phone thinks it's generic, and will tell Nokia Updater that it is... After the "Update" just change the code back. Sorted.

Albie999
15-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Sweet .. I will give it a go.

How much more is it improved. I mean, I know it gets rid of the side-bar and allows screensavers to be changed ... but what else is better when doing this.

John-Jack
15-11-2006, 08:46 PM
It COMPLETELY reinstalls the Nokia default system software.
EVERYTHING goes and it install Phonebook, Messaging, the rest of the features and all the fancy extras, and leaves the phone as if it's ready to accept any sim-card (it's not, because locking is controlled by DCT-4, but the phone itself thinks it's sim free). It's faster, from what I've seen, either from a combination of lack of Orange software and the fact that it's now FW3, or one or the other...

Albie999
16-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Well, have just completed flashing my N73 ... and have to say, that it is now so much quicker than with the Orange stuff on it .. and so much easier to use.

It was also so easy to do ...... just one question, what is the product code for Orange N73 that it should be set back to .... just in case .. :-)

parahandy
22-11-2006, 05:15 PM
The link to the NSS tool is broken - tried their website and the download doesn't work. Any other place to get a copy?