View Full Version : M600 (and UIQ 3) and Outlook: fields, categories and folders

guiyoforward
27-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Dear All,

I am a long time Palm user, and I have made a big investment in my Outlook PIM information. I use Dataviz' Beyond Contacts, which is basically a version of Microsoft Outlook for the Palm OS.
Now, the OS and my Palm are not getting any younger, and Treos are not getting any slimmer. I find Windows mobile clunky, and the M600 looks awsome: the size of a phone, though you can do real (limited) data entry on the go.

My problem is the following:
-I use most of the fields in my contacts (work/home addresses, numbers, anniversaries, everything really)
-I have multiple categories for my contacts
-I use intensively subfolders in contacts, notes and tasks

I couldn't find a single review of UIQ 3 / M600 that goes into the detail of the sync experience. Do ALL fields match? Can we have subfolders AND categories? Only a minimum adjustment is needed, or information is lost?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks

g.

guiyoforward
29-10-2006, 03:15 AM
by the way, I need usb cable sync, not over the air really.

thanks

skagen
23-11-2006, 11:52 PM
I couldn't find a single review of UIQ 3 / M600 that goes into the detail of the sync experience. Do ALL fields match? Can we have subfolders AND categories? Only a minimum adjustment is needed, or information is lost?

I have the M600i syyncing with Outlook 2003 on the PC - and before, I used to have a Windows Mobile device with Pocket Informant syncing to the same PC.

Overall I would say that Sony Ericsson does not get into the detail of this topic in their marketing materials for the simple reason that the truth of the situation is embarrasing.

FIELDS:
I wouldn't worry about the fields too much. By and large it is good. I get most all my data, including birthdays. Faults are:
- anniversaries are the only thing I can think of that do not come over when you sync]
- on birthdays I have had problems with duplications eg on someone's birthday I get like FOUR reminders instead of one. No idea why.

But as far as I can think, everything but anniversaries will come over as long as you use specific fields in Outlook ie not "other". However the UIQ has slightly different defintions eg on UIQ3 you have mobile(Home) and mobile(work), and email (home) plus e-mail (Work) so actually UIW3 gives you more specific field defintiion than Outlook. But they get synced in both directions.

CATEGORIES:
This is where the shame is. Categories and subfolders do NOT exist in the native PIM on UIQ3. They simply don't exist. You'll have no problem importing all your contacts, calendar events to-dos etc BUT it all comes over on one flat level, simply ignoring the categorisation in Outlook. So needless to say you dont have to worry about sub categories - there are no categories to begin with!

There are a tiny few 3rd party PIMs on UIQ3 platofrm eg DreamConnect - but these do nothing useful beyond the built in PIM. So if categories are important to you, I'd avoid a UIQ3 device for the moment.

Incredible that Sony Ericsson would release these devices (which claim to be mobile office type devies and even have fancy Querty keybaords) without that capabilty. But true. As far as I understand even the flagship P990 has this same handicap.

vikast
09-01-2007, 12:41 PM
How do i get a 2nd mobile number on to my m600 from outlook? Outlook 2003 offers only one Mobile field. I tried using other fields like Car, Pager, Home 2 etc, but it either does not map to the m600 or syncs it as a landline number.

Please help.

Thanks

fyrestrtr
11-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Another problem with UIQ and M600 is that all default numbers from Outlook go into mobile(w) on your first sync. Annoying.