View Full Version : No name of sender of incoming message

O.D. Yeo
16-10-2006, 02:45 AM
I've had my N73 for about a week and have had no time to scan this forum thoroughly. I hope my questions have not been asked and answered already:

1. Why is it that SOME incoming sms messages do not show the sender's name? Only shown is sender's telephone number. However, some messages from the same sender are ok.

2. What is the blue blinking light (between the earpiece and the front lens)? What is its purpose? Is there a way of de-activating it?

dez_borders
16-10-2006, 07:07 AM
I've had my N73 for about a week and have had no time to scan this forum thoroughly. I hope my questions have not been asked and answered already:

1. Why is it that SOME incoming sms messages do not show the sender's name? Only shown is sender's telephone number. However, some messages from the same sender are ok.

2. What is the blue blinking light (between the earpiece and the front lens)? What is its purpose? Is there a way of de-activating it?

1. Not 100% sure, but I think if you have the sender's number stored in your contacts list in international format +44xxxxxxxxxx the problem is less frequent. Also, if you synchronise via MS Outlook & PC Suite, you may find there's a SPACE character after the +44 - remove the space as the Speed Dialler doesn't like dialling these contacts.

2. Believe it or not, the flashing blue light is Power-Save mode, where the LCD screen is switched off and the LED is simply showing you the handset is still switched on and in Standby mode. Personally I think it Nokia could have made better use of this LED by making it flash at a different speed when you have a message, email or voicemail waiting to be read, or not flashing at all when you have no reception on the network.

nj7
16-10-2006, 07:33 AM
1. Not 100% sure, but I think if you have the sender's number stored in your contacts list in international format +44xxxxxxxxxx the problem is less frequent. Also, if you synchronise via MS Outlook & PC Suite, you may find there's a SPACE character after the +44 - remove the space as the Speed Dialler doesn't like dialling these contacts.

2. Believe it or not, the flashing blue light is Power-Save mode, where the LCD screen is switched off and the LED is simply showing you the handset is still switched on and in Standby mode. Personally I think it Nokia could have made better use of this LED by making it flash at a different speed when you have a message, email or voicemail waiting to be read, or not flashing at all when you have no reception on the network.

1. If it have two same numbers on contacts, it show only the number and not the name.
2. Thatīs it!

O.D. Yeo
17-10-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks, dez and nj7.
I just migrated back to Nokia from two years of Sony and had forgotten some of these quirks. I think my contacts are all sorted out now and the problem appears to be solved.
Any way to de-acivate the blue light sensor? I guess not.

nj7
17-10-2006, 08:17 AM
"Any way to de-acivate the blue light sensor? I guess not."
And You guess well. No way:frown:

dez_borders
17-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks, dez and nj7.
I just migrated back to Nokia from two years of Sony and had forgotten some of these quirks. I think my contacts are all sorted out now and the problem appears to be solved.
Any way to de-acivate the blue light sensor? I guess not.

If you install Best Taskman app, you can see an app called blinkingled in the running apps list. Taskman cannot close this app as it is a System App.

Perhaps other taskman apps might be able to do this?

Dez