View Full Version : Need educating

doyster
11-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi my new 5500 is arriving tommorrow and i keep reading that it a symbian smartphone.I have absolutely no idea what this is:)Been trying to read up on it but its all gobblydook.Could anyone tell me in easy terms what it is and what this phone will do different from other phones.I also read that it is possible to use it as a sat nav?Thanks in advance for any help.

nj7
11-10-2006, 09:16 PM
You are on right place;)
Symbian - OS on phone; To learn more, read much You can on this site and others, news, reviews, etc.
Because it have an open OS, itīs possible to install a lot of programs, like sat nav application.

krisse
11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi my new 5500 is arriving tommorrow and i keep reading that it a symbian smartphone.I have absolutely no idea what this is:)Been trying to read up on it but its all gobblydook.Could anyone tell me in easy terms what it is and what this phone will do different from other phones.I also read that it is possible to use it as a sat nav?Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't worry, we're here to cut through all the complicated technical terms. If you don't understand something, ask us and we'll help. :)

Basically, a smartphone is a pocket-sized computer. You can install programs onto it to do most of the things that a PC can do.

Yes you can use it as Sat Nav, but you have to buy a GPS receiver (they're about Ģ50) and carry it with you. The receiver is about the size of a packet of cigarettes and connects to the 5500 wirelessly through a technology called Bluetooth, they can work with each other as long as they're within 10 metres of each other. If you want maps you'll have to buy them too. It's worth noting that you can also get map/receiver bundles.

The 5500 is a Symbian S60 3rd Edition smartphone, the most popular kind of smartphone in the world. It can run programs that say they're S60 3rd Edition compatible. You can find them in lots of places, for example Nokia's own Software Market website:

http://www.softwaremarket.nokia.com/?phoneMainView.html&uaid=236

But you don't have to install anything extra if you don't want to, there's already loads of nice things built into the 5500, such as a proper web browser (it shows pages like a PC does), an email program, a music player (the 5500 can store up to 1000 tracks if you buy a big enough memory card), a radio and a step counter.

The step counter lets you see how far you've run, walked or cycled, and if you're a fitness enthusiast you can load the data onto your PC for more detailed analysis of your journey. You can also set yourself simple goals (for example how many calories to burn during the week), then let the 5500 keep track of how close you are to achieving your goal.

I've done a review of the 5500 by the way, it has some technical language but I've tried to make it as easy-to-understand as possible:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Nokia_5500_Sport_Review1.php

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, this is the right place.

doyster
13-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies.Got the phone and finding it a bit fiddly:)I've tried downloading some videos from my pc onto it but it keep saying i cant open file,these are wmv and mpeg files.Also ive installed a 1gig card but now when i try to download music it says i havnt enough memory!Sorry if these are stupid questions but i really am a tech newbie.Thanks in advance for any help.

nj7
13-10-2006, 10:17 PM
The movies must be with a format compatible with the Player of the phone, like mp4 with H.263 codec. And to copy other files, use a Copy / Paste to card, and not to phone memory, because is very limited.

krisse
13-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies.Got the phone and finding it a bit fiddly:)I've tried downloading some videos from my pc onto it but it keep saying i cant open file,these are wmv and mpeg files.Also ive installed a 1gig card but now when i try to download music it says i havnt enough memory!Sorry if these are stupid questions but i really am a tech newbie.Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't panic! :)

These are NOT stupid questions, they're very good questions.

First thing to do with your 5500 is to take out the 1gig card, put in the free 64mb card that comes with it in and switch it on, this will install some very important software automatically when it starts up. Just let the phone do what it has to do, then when it's finished you can switch it off, take out the 64mb card and put the 1 gig card back in.

Second, your life will be made MUCH easier if you install and use the Nokia PC Suite to handle all your phone's videos and music. The PC Suite was designed specifically to make the process of transferring stuff to and from your phone as easy as possible.

PC Suite generally works like a charm, it automatically detects what kind of phone you have, it can tell how large the memory card is, and converts all files into a compatible format before transferring them onto your phone.

You can get the PC Suite for free from Nokia's support page:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4144905

Once you've installed it and it's working, just plug your 5500 into your PC (using the USB cable included with the phone), start the Suite up and select whatever you want to do from the range of options. For example there's an option for storing photos, or transferring music, or transferring video, or loads of other things.