View Full Version : Thinking on getting N73, but number of problems looks scary!

Thorz
09-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Hello. First Post. First I would like to say thank you all for the great community!

I have never had a Symbian device before and now it is time to get a new mobile phone. I have been eyeing the N73 on the net and the features are impressive. The multiband, camera and smartphone capabilities have make it stand in front of my other phone choice, the SE K800i, but I have read so many post about general problems that it looks a little scary.

This sticky thread http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49673 shows common problems with memory use that are pretty bad IMO. Until now the better battery live on the K800i was the only thing that was restraining me to immediately buy the N73, but after reading all these instability and memory leak problems on the N73 I am even more insecure.

Following your experience with the Symbian S60 series how long do you think that Nokia will take for correcting these big issues with a new firmware?

I will take lots of photos on memory card and some of the mentioned problems could really be a drawback for my daily use. I will also need a perfect synchronization between Outlook 2003 and the phone.

Thank you very much for your help.

xerxes
09-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I bought an N73 about 3 weeks ago and have used it heavily ever since.

It has never crashed or failed to do what I wanted, despite the fact that I have many 3rd party apps and games loaded on it. It is without question the best phone I have ever owned. There are about another 10 guys where I work who have them and I never hear a bad word said. Just about the only negative thing I have to say is that the camera takes a couple of seconds longer to start up than I am used to.

I was also torn between the N73 and the K800 when I was replacing my K750i. The things that swung it for me were the video capture resolution of the N73 which is approx 4x that of the K800, and Nokia's PC Suite software which is much much better than the SE synch software (not very hard to be better than that though!)

The N73 is a great phone but I suspect I would have been equally happy with the K800 if I had chosen the other way. If you don't care about synching your PIM data, running 3rd party apps, or recording video clips you should probably go with the K800. But if any of those things is important to go with the N73. Don't be put off by anything you hear.

I have about 200 pictures and 10 or so videos on my mini sd and I never see any problems.

hatebeingaloser
12-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Well, i faced same problem with Thorz when i want to buy a new phone as a b'day present for me... lol... saw so many threads bout new handphones make me confused and frustrating... but it's not only nokia got problem....any handphone got it's own problem, rite?

So i decided to buy N73 and currently, i'm still using it for about 2 weeks without any significant problem just like posted in the thread such as memory card unreadable, phone restarting, sms freeze, zooming prob, camera humming..etc....thank God..:tongue:
My only problem is only the contact list display can't be changed to 'first name, last name'

stuclark
12-09-2006, 07:37 AM
The N73 is a very good phone. In terms of stability, it is probably the best I've ever seen from Nokia, even allowing for the few annoying issues being seen with the current firmware.

I know that there's a new firmware in the offering soon, which Nokia will be making available (soon) on their software update service,

nj7
12-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I said the same. N73 is very reliable. Only problem for now, is the bluetooth connection, not stable, and with frequent drops.

bigbud13
22-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Unfortunately I`ve just had to return my N73 to Voda seems my handset suffered just about all of the current flaws in the firmware and a few more besides!!

JohnP
23-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I have had my N73 for 2 months and I am very pleased with it. It has crashed maybe 5 times, but never during a call. The pictures are up to 1MB in size and the quality is stunning!

My main problem with it is I cannot get it to synch fully with my BMW 3 Series; I cannot see the address book and neither can I see text messages.

I'd say go for it, a future firmware upgrade will no doubt fix problems

nj7
23-10-2006, 07:44 PM
But have some flaws, and the most annoying is RAM management... very limited:frown: