View Full Version : P800 applications

gazcart
05-12-2002, 11:54 AM
I notice that there are new apps/games etc for the 7650 almost on a daily basis. Can any of you guys ( or girls better be PC ) know how easy it will be to convert/recompile etc these for the P800?

Do you think we can look forward to the same level of app/game release as the 7650 gets when our P800 finally climbs out of its nest?

Do we have or should we start to creat a software list for the P800?

:roll:

Rafe
05-12-2002, 11:59 AM
J2ME games should run without change, however Symbian OS program and games will need to be ported to OS 7.

There are also screen size issues.

From ym understanding the actually porting is fairly simple.

ginomi
05-12-2002, 12:50 PM
J2ME games should run without change, however Symbian OS program and games will need to be ported to OS 7.

The Symbian C++ native sw need a complete porting, but also Java code cannot work properly in P800 devices.
Some midlet specifically designed for 7650 need some change, cause the developer could have used proprietary packages from Nokia. i.e., a lot of sw use the FullCanvas Class to use the full display of the Nokia phones...
But this is just the first trouble... Another issue is moving to keypad-based paradigm to pen-based devices.

Gino

PeteASJP
05-12-2002, 01:02 PM
C++ porting can be easy or difficult, depending on how the app has been designed and implemented. A smart designer has taken into account the porting initially, so then it will be needed only on the user interface level. The logic of the application (the engine) needs no porting whatsoever.

What comes to moving to keypad-based paradigm to pen-based devices, you are completely right. You need to consider the device's possibilites and limitations carefully. Luckily there are more possibilities than limitations in porting from 7650 to P800.

Generally, you are shooting yourself to foot, if you implement a program only to one device in mobile software development -- what you are doing is that you limit your possible customer base.

The Symbian C++ native sw need a complete porting, but also Java code cannot work properly in P800 devices.
Some midlet specifically designed for 7650 need some change, cause the developer could have used proprietary packages from Nokia. i.e., a lot of sw use the FullCanvas Class to use the full display of the Nokia phones...
But this is just the first trouble... Another issue is moving to keypad-based paradigm to pen-based devices.

Gino

Rafe
05-12-2002, 01:03 PM
heh there you go and answer from someone who knows rather than me who thinks I might know.. Thanks Pete

DmX
05-12-2002, 01:16 PM
so we need to make new applications? :(

and what is the difference J2ME and symbian applications?

i mean which ones are symbian and which are J2ME

MaleBuffy
05-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Symbian are .SIS files and J2ME are .JAR files!

gazcart
05-12-2002, 02:16 PM
The real question was, we are all waiting from these P800's but if they released it by surprise in two weeks, what is there to download to it.

Are there companys holding back apps/games they have for the P800 until its release or would they of released it already.

The P800 was origanly going to come out in August its three months later and I have only heard about a couple of apps for the P800 in that time.

Have I missed something?

DmX
05-12-2002, 04:12 PM
is there a way to convert .sis files to .jar

Rafe
05-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Are there companys holding back apps/games they have for the P800 until its release or would they of released it already.

Yes is the simple answer to that. There are a number of program that I'm aware of that will be released on release of the P800.

Rafe

:)
05-12-2002, 04:30 PM
There's Handy Safe already out if i can remeber correctly

05-12-2002, 06:35 PM
of the small hobby projects people have been hacking away at from home. :-) So if there is a will, there will be apps.. and games. :-) For free. :-)

ginomi
05-12-2002, 06:38 PM
C++ porting can be easy or difficult, depending on how the app has been designed and implemented. A smart designer has taken into account the porting initially, so then it will be needed only on the user interface level. The logic of the application (the engine) needs no porting whatsoever.

I'm not sure, a lot of API was changed, take a look to the new Etel GSM implementation in UIQ... ;-)

What comes to moving to keypad-based paradigm to pen-based devices, you are completely right. You need to consider the device's possibilites and limitations carefully. Luckily there are more possibilities than limitations in porting from 7650 to P800.

Generally, you are shooting yourself to foot, if you implement a program only to one device in mobile software development -- what you are doing is that you limit your possible customer base.

<cut>

<cut>

Every Developer (with big D) look to the near and far future when he write an apps... But the Sony-ericsson time-to-market concept was a very problem for everyone...

Gino

Rear_Admiral
05-12-2002, 11:49 PM
On Symbian.com (http://www.symbian.com/developer/index.html) at the right bottom you can find a link to this (http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/papers/series60-UIQ/Series60-UIQ.pdf) pdf file and this (http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/papers/series60-UIQ/Hello.zip) example source code on how to convert from series 60 to UIQ.

On Epocware.com (http://se-p800-software.epocware.com/index.html) you can find a link to Handy Safe for P800, but it will only be released as soon as the P800 is officially launched.