View Full Version : Nokia N80 vs N93

clive1
31-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, at the moment i have a Nokia N80 but i seen the N93 has dropped in price now to 489, is it worth the upgrade? i not a heavy camera user but its handy to have it there. if thats the only main advantage its not really worth upgrading to the N93 or is it?

GoodCop
01-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Hi, at the moment i have a Nokia N80 but i seen the N93 has dropped in price now to £489, is it worth the upgrade? i not a heavy camera user but its handy to have it there. if thats the only main advantage its not really worth upgrading to the N93 or is it?

It's not so much upgrading, but rather a question of what features are important to you, imho. I have a N80 but will soon change to N93.

My reasons:
N93 has a much faster processor with 3D gfx support and a little bit more memory. I'm impressed by the java benchmarks (take a look at http://www.jbenchmark.com/result.jsp), and as I develop in J2ME I want the extra juice. In that sense it's indeed an upgrade.

I also often use my phone as a "tiny laptop" with a bluetooth keyboard to edit text, surf the web and write mail, and the landscape mode is great for that.
I also know that the TV-out feature will be used a lot to show pics, film, games and other software on TV and projector, making that "tiny laptop" not so tiny... The better video cam will also be a bonus and a lot of fun.

Other than that, N80 has it all. I will surely miss the lovely N80 hi-res screen and its smaller size, but I've decided it's still worth it for me.

nj7
01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
It's not so much upgrading, but rather a question of what features are important to you, imho. I have a N80 but will soon change to N93.

My reasons:
N93 has a much faster processor with 3D gfx support and a little bit more memory. I'm impressed by the java benchmarks (take a look at http://www.jbenchmark.com/result.jsp), and as I develop in J2ME I want the extra juice. In that sense it's indeed an upgrade.

I also often use my phone as a "tiny laptop" with a bluetooth keyboard to edit text, surf the web and write mail, and the landscape mode is great for that.
I also know that the TV-out feature will be used a lot to show pics, film, games and other software on TV and projector, making that "tiny laptop" not so tiny... The better video cam will also be a bonus and a lot of fun.

Other than that, N80 has it all. I will surely miss the lovely N80 hi-res screen and its smaller size, but I've decided it's still worth it for me.

Agree in general. But for someone who said that "is not very heavy camera user", why change?
N80, are better in some aspects, and worse mainly on camera.

clive1
02-09-2006, 06:48 PM

My reasons:

miss the lovely N80 hi-res screen? doesnt the N93 use the same screen as the N80?? i thought it did

nj7
02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
No, is not the same screen. Is a worse / better screen. Worse, because have less resolution, 320x240 / 416x354. Better, because the phisical dimension is superior, 2,4" against 2,1".

GoodCop
02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
No, is not the same screen. Is a worse / better screen. Worse, because have less resolution, 320x240 / 416x354. Better, because the phisical dimension is superior, 2,4" against 2,1".

Yeah, it's amazing how many pixels they crammed into that N80 display. Tiny fonts are fully readable (if you have the eyes for it!). I'm affraid the N93 web browsing experience won't be as good, but hopefully still almost as adequate, at least in landscape mode.

Seems as 320x240 more or less is the most common standard for smartphone software (movies, games, and such), so there might not be a big difference.
If I'm not incorrect, N80 movies run in "emulated" 320x240 maxed out anyways, right?