View Full Version : N91 'Out of Memory' when browsing

grmc
30-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi,

I've had my N91 for a few weeks now. I'm not a 'hardened user' as such; I've put about 2.2gb of MP3 files on it and I'm really happy with the way it works (at least compared to the POS that my Sony Ericsson W800i was). I'm glad to be back with Nokia because the phone Synchronises perfectly with Windows (Outlook contacts in particular), something that the Sony was just rubbish at.

Anyways, I have a wireless broadband router at home and as I don't always bother to take my laptop home with me, the N91 should be really handy for checking emails and ad-hoc browsing the net via the Wi-Fi connection (I mostly just use it to see how my eBay items are doing!).

Or so you would think...

However, I am *continually* getting "Out of Memory" errors when using the Web application. I've scoured this and other forums and the best advice I've found is to clear the cache and cookies, both of which I've already been doing since it started and it really makes no difference as to how far I can get before that annoying little message appears. I've pretty much tried everything else along the lines of lowering memory use when browsing.

At most, I will get one page displayed before being told the browser is "Out of Memory" and then it just stops, sometimes closing the application entirely. I've noticed that the timing of the display of the message is unrelated to when the last cache clearout has been done, sometimes straight away, sometimes after a page has partially loaded, sometimes after I've managed to hobble to a second page. Bear in mind I have so far only visited Google (my home page) and eBay (Login and then Status). I've given up now, as it's irritating beyond belief. Basically, it works enough for me to get to my status page once in about 10 attempts. As with all of these features, if it wasn't there then I wouldn't care, but it *is* there and it doesn't work! :mad:

I don't want to use WAP browsing when I have a perfectly good (and way cheaper) means of connecting to the internet via Wi-Fi.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the installed software work? This phone is basically more powerful and has more available RAM and Hard Drive space than my first home PC, so there really ought to be a way to make this work, surely? :con?

My OS version is:
V1.00.028.34
29-03-06
RM-43

Can anyone help with this?

nj7
30-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Do You have some Java application open in background?

music101
31-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi

Its a great browser however I heard it uses 7 Mbytes if RAM or more just to open up a single page. The only thing that helps is to dsiable History, MiniMap and Loading images and even then it can run out of memory (even if all apps are closed except the stdby and musicplayer in the N91 for example). This happena on all the S60 3rd edition devices that have it.

Solution - I assume Nokia is fixing it somwhere but I also recommend using Opera Mini (free) and Opera full. Much better and never crashes

music101

grmc
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Cheers for the tip music 101 - I will try that ASAP.

nj7 - nope, nothing is open in the background - it even does it off a clean re-boot.

What amazes me is that this application ever passed the testing phase! At what point did someone on the development team actually say "That works perfectly"??! I just can't see it ever happening myself!!

nj7
05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Is strange... Try a firmware upgrade, now at Your home, with Nokia Software Updater tool;)

nj7
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Is strange... Try a firmware upgrade, now at Your home, with Nokia Software Updater tool;)

music101
05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi

I know you said no programs were running but how many games, 3rd party applications etc have you installed. There is a buzz going around (orange users) that RAm gets eaten up even if a program is not running.

I have 2.00.052 and I have less of an issue.

music101