View Full Version : SonyEricsson, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU????!

SymbianAdvisor
22-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I've been a loyal (US) Symbian user since my Psion Series 5 (with a Revo and netBook in the middle, and now with a P900, which I still like a lot.)

I've just had to switch services from T-Mobile to Cingular, which is really not too bad since I never really was nuts about T-M. However, I was really hoping to get a new UIQ 3 phone or even a Series 60 third edition phone as part of a contract, one that would take advantage of the EDGE systems implemented in the US.

Guess what I was able to find? NOTHING. Sure, I could get an unlocked P990 or the like, BUT IT WON'T SURF ON EDGE. And the Nokia EDGE phones? Sure, if I wanted to drop $350-$400 on an unlocked phone at MobilePlanet. And I'm sure the Nokias are very nice, but that's not what I really wanted, and not at that price.

But I can (did) get a Cingular 2125 Windows Mobile phone for FIFTY bucks with a new plan. And I could have gotten a BlackBerry 7130c for $149, for crying out loud.

Let me say it again - I WANTED a UIQ EDGE phone on a new contract.

WHY is it seemingly so impossible for SE to get a UIQ EDGE phone in the US market? After how many years?? Aaargh!

Nick

kingrob
23-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Never mind that the P990 can't do EDGE, what about the following :

1. The P990 is the ugliest phone that I've ever seen. And, here in South Africa, you must use the phone for two years before you can upgrade, so if you must use it for 730 days before your next phone, at least you want something pretty.

2. Why, oh why, did Sony decide to do away with my beloved jog dial? On the P990, the new castrated jog dial can only do half what my P910's jog dial can do.

3. I had the P800 & P900, got hi-jacked and received a brand new P910 from my insurance company. They all have one BIG thing in common - an awesome touch screen. How on God's earth did Sony decide that we need a mini keyboard on the P990's front? I have never used my P910's keyboard on the flip - always use my stylus and it feels like I'm using a mini tablet pc, ultra cool.

Sony should really think long and hard about the P990 and what they have done to their flagship mobile phone. Well, it's not so 'flagship' anymore, I'd rather get another P910 before I buy a P990.

My recommendation? The 'P1000' should look similar to the LG Chocolate phone, make it a slider phone, remove the useless keyboard, make it a bigger screen and bring my 5-phase jog dial back! That is the only way they can save the P-series.

Bassey
24-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I can't believe they got rid of the 5-way. I understand this was because lots of people struggled to understand the concept of the 5-way? WTF? This is a flagship phone! If you're too stupid to cope with something that has five functions, get a walkie-talkie people!

Totally agree on the keyboard too. It's not that I don't like the idea of their being a keyboard, but so many companies have shown really clever ways of integrating a keyboard. SE have just shrunk the screen a bit and bolted one on the bottom.

Symbian is a fantastic OS, but until the Symbian licensees* start putting some thought into the hardware design I'll be sticking with WM5.

*Nokia, since the demise of the 95/9300, seem too focused on twisting/flipping cameras and mp3 players to bother with a real business device.

History
26-08-2006, 02:26 PM
What $300-$400 THATS BULL SHIT CHECK TIS OUT

Http://Xpango.com/?ref=90036140

ncoreys28
29-08-2006, 07:44 AM
xpango is basically a ripoff im trying to find a sony P990i and I look at there website and it is 45 credits well the cheapest item they offer is 25 dollars for ONE CREDIT so by the time u buy 45 credits its more expensive than buying it off ebay for 900 usd. And then they offer like rewards for signing up with certain company but at a maximum of 4 credits and then i feel like im getting scammed like those popups for a free PS3. Anyone know of a place or way to get a cheap sony p990.

Bigfeat
17-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I've been a loyal (US) Symbian user since my Psion Series 5 (with a Revo and netBook in the middle, and now with a P900, which I still like a lot.)

I've just had to switch services from T-Mobile to Cingular, which is really not too bad since I never really was nuts about T-M. However, I was really hoping to get a new UIQ 3 phone or even a Series 60 third edition phone as part of a contract, one that would take advantage of the EDGE systems implemented in the US.

Guess what I was able to find? NOTHING. Sure, I could get an unlocked P990 or the like, BUT IT WON'T SURF ON EDGE. And the Nokia EDGE phones? Sure, if I wanted to drop $350-$400 on an unlocked phone at MobilePlanet. And I'm sure the Nokias are very nice, but that's not what I really wanted, and not at that price.

But I can (did) get a Cingular 2125 Windows Mobile phone for FIFTY bucks with a new plan. And I could have gotten a BlackBerry 7130c for $149, for crying out loud.

Let me say it again - I WANTED a UIQ EDGE phone on a new contract.

WHY is it seemingly so impossible for SE to get a UIQ EDGE phone in the US market? After how many years?? Aaargh!

Nick

That's an SE question for SE to answer now.. The P990 is not released for the North American market now so this is a moot point to argue. Your loyalty as a US Symbian user does not apply to the P990i (intended for the European market). Remember to bring this point up when a P990 has been released in the US.

kalimero
23-09-2006, 06:42 PM
*Nokia, since the demise of the 95/9300, seem too focused on twisting/flipping cameras and mp3 players to bother with a real business device.

My, and here am I thinking that the E-series was all business... Could it be the RealPlayer-capability that nudges my E61 out of the "business phone"-club...

kingrob
23-09-2006, 08:45 PM
My mate bought himself the HP iPAQ HW6915 Mobile Messenger - and I love it!!

The 6915 is a serious business tool and runs circles round the P990.

*Nokia has completely lost it. If it's not the O'lamour series, it's the E-series and no-one really knows what Nokia is trying to achieve with all these phones. Nokia is becoming just like BMW, every year there's a new model, but it actually looks worse than the old model (3 and 7 series are prime examples!) and nothing really exciting has been added.

Go figure...

slitchfield
30-09-2006, 07:54 AM

I refer my honourable colleague to the Nokia E61 and E70.... terrific devices.

Steve

jah
20-10-2006, 08:49 PM
SE couldn't the chips with 3G and EDGE when the P990 was announced in Oct 2005. So we have known since then that EDGE is not covered and now people complain about it!

I really like the ergonomics of the P990, prefer it to TyTN and E61. Would be interested in a 3G Nokia 9500 but will need to wait for a while.

The screen, keyboard and predictive text are superb.