View Full Version : Newbie: switches from MS Smartphone to N73

jwlunt
09-08-2006, 06:23 AM
I've just switched from MS Smartphone to Symbian. I've had Smartphones since the original dreadful Canary on Orange...

So, overall I'm very impressed with the N73 but there are a couple of major annoyances:

1. My incoming caller identification is not working. All I get is a phone number and not a name look up. Weird! Any obvious solutions to this?
2. The contact lookup is crap compared to Smartphone (at leasst with my settings...). When I'm searching for a contact it doesn't use T9. Duh. This makes contacts much less powerful.

I'll probably get around to writing up a proper comparison with the C600 at some point.

Thanks,

Jonathan

xerxes
10-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I switched from MS Smartphone too (via a SE K750i).

The caller ID problem happens when you have the same number in more than one contact. For example I have seperate contacts for my parents so that I can hold each of their mobile numbers. Their home number is the same so whenever they call from home the phone cannot tell which of them is calling and it just shows the number instead. I deleted the home number from one of their contact records and now it always shows up as my dad calling.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to the T9 search in contacts - which is a pisser as that was one of the things I liked best about Smartphone.

xerxes

Dr, Who?
15-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I had these exact problems when migrating from a C500 to an N70. I couldn't resolve the contacts problem, it did not seem to be related to having the same number in more than one contract. It just wouldn't work with any contacts that had been Activesync'd at any point. New contacts worked fine. However I had hundreds and hundreds of contacts and wasn't prepared to redo them all by hand.

I found the lack of T9 for contacts searching very annoying as well.

I sent the N70 back after 5 days.

stuclark
15-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Nokia's caller ID system works on the last 6 digits of a phone number only, so if you have two numbers which have the same last 6 digits, or you have the same number listed twice, the phone won't resolve the number to a name.

nj7
15-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Nokia's caller ID system works on the last 6 digits of a phone number only, so if you have two numbers which have the same last 6 digits, or you have the same number listed twice, the phone won't resolve the number to a name.
Agree. I think is the problem.

Hektik
18-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Having the same name/number stored on the phone memory AND sim card will also cause the name not to be displayed as the phone gets confused! lol