View Full Version : Nokia E70 Buglist

smilerpt
05-08-2006, 01:55 AM
After using my brand new E70 for a week, I have identified quite a considerable list of bugs that can also be classified us "lacks of functionality".

Here is the list, that I have been updating in my webpage regarding this issue (www.shantilal.net/techreviews).

Any comments ?

------------------

Unfortunately, after 1 week of usage I am not 100% happy with the phone, I think that NOKIA should have optimized the usage of some primitive functions on this phone.

Here is a list of bugs or lack of functionality that I have identified and reported to NOKIA. I will update this page if this bugs get solved in next firmware releases.

Currently, my phone is running the following release :

30-05-06

RM-10

NOKIA E70

BUG #1

Few seconds after establishing the phone call, the shortcut key to LoudSpeaker will switch itīs function to MUTE. In the middle of a call, if you want to use the LoudSpeaker you will have to use the MENU. I havenīt found a why to customize this.

BUG #2

When someone calls you, there is no way to answer the call in LoudSpeaker, you will have to answer normally and then use the menu to switch to LoudSpeaker Mode.

BUG #3

To write a short message, there is no fast shortcut, you will have to click in 3 options in the menu before start typing your message.

BUG #4

When you are selecting the recipient(s) of your SMS message, you will be able to browse your agenda but you can just see the names, I havenīt found a way to check the number that is associated to this names while sending the sms.

BUG #5

When you are writing a SMS message, in the "TO FIELD", by default the keyboard writes alfanumeric characters, so it take long to insert directly a phone number as a recipient of the message.

BUG #6

While playing a video file, if a incoming call arrives, the movie will stop but the callerīs id will not be displayed in the screen.

BUG #7

The alarm associated to the clock, doesnīt permit customized alarm, such as (MONDAY until FRIDAY 9AM).

BUG #8

When browsing the log of the phone activities (calls received, calls made, unanswered calls, data transfer, ...) it is not possible to click in a unanswered call to make the call.

BUG #9

Under some circumstances, when you make a phone call using the Speaker, if the recipient doesnīt answer the phone, when terminating the call the phone will stall for about 10 seconds while displaying the message (ENDING PHONE CALL).

BUG #10

If you are familiar with Nokia phone calls, you might know that when you make a phone call, and after the call has been initiated the upper left shortcut button allows you to start the SpeakerPhone, until then the button will allow you to terminate the call. When you call to some recipients and if the call goes directly to the voice mail, the E70 will never show the option of Speakerphone, it looks like it didnīt get the info that the call was initiated. Though this is a specific problem in E70 and not to do with the operator because 6320 behaves perfectly in this circumstances.

NOTE : At this time I didnīt have time to properly test the wifi and sip features, I will add some info regarding that.

firpark.dosser
07-08-2006, 11:32 AM
After using my brand new E70 for a week, I have identified quite a considerable list of bugs that can also be classified us "lacks of functionality".

I do think most of the things you've listed are feature requests rather than bugs. However, I have a few comments-

BUG #3

To write a short message, there is no fast shortcut, you will have to click in 3 options in the menu before start typing your message.

I think I have my phone set up to do exactly what you want here. Go into Settings->Phone->Standby then map one of your keys to "New text msg.". Problem solved.

BUG #4

When you are selecting the recipient(s) of your SMS message, you will be able to browse your agenda but you can just see the names, I havenīt found a way to check the number that is associated to this names while sending the sms.

Is there any need for that feature?

If you have selected a default text message for that contact (you can do this in the contacts app), for example, a contact's mobile nuber, then that is the number that will be used. If not, then it will ask you which number associated with that contact to send the message to.

BUG #5

When you are writing a SMS message, in the "TO FIELD", by default the keyboard writes alfanumeric characters, so it take long to insert directly a phone number as a recipient of the message.

I don't think that's a bug. I think that's the sensible choice of mode for that field. I would hazard a guess that about 90+ percent of the time that when someone wants to send a text message it is to someone in their address book. For the few times that you want to change to number mode then just hold down the # key or switch using the menu accessed through the pencil key.

BUG #7

The alarm associated to the clock, doesnīt permit customized alarm, such as (MONDAY until FRIDAY 9AM).

This one bugs the hell out of me too. I used to think that it was because the alarm functionality was an after-thought but it's been like that for YEARS on Nokia phones. I think that they are scared to change it because it's going to upset a lot of third party developers who have written more advanced alarm apps.

Basically, you are right. The current alarm functionality sucks.

BUG #8

When browsing the log of the phone activities (calls received, calls made, unanswered calls, data transfer, ...) it is not possible to click in a unanswered call to make the call.

Do you mean the "Missed Calls" entries? You can return the call be selecting the desired missed call then pressing the green call button.

Hope this has been of some help.

N/A
09-08-2006, 08:12 AM
#1: Feature (of S60)
#2: Feature
#3: You can put a direct "New SMS" on one of the softkeys or as an active standby app link.
#4: Feature
#5: Feature (do a long press of the '#' key while the To: field is on focus to change from "Abc" to "123"/numeric mode)
#6: Could be. Don't know.
#7: Feature.
#8: Works for me (press the green/dial key)
#9: Could be. Haven't seen such behaviour.
#10: Probably a feature, too.

firpark.dosser
13-08-2006, 09:37 PM
BUG #2

When someone calls you, there is no way to answer the call in LoudSpeaker, you will have to answer normally and then use the menu to switch to LoudSpeaker Mode.

I've just spotted something in the user manual that makes me think that this is definetly not a bug but rather a design feature. On page 26 of the English manual in the the middle of the "Make calls" section it says the following-

"When you open the fold of the device during a call, the loudspeaker is activated."

It would be interesting to know what the other E-series phones, sans "fold", do. Does the right softkey change to "Mute" for them as well?

alexpx
25-08-2006, 03:36 AM
#1 and #2 bug the hell out of me too.

Access to speakerphone with one touch of a button is essential.
It certainly was available on all other Nokia phones I've ever owned.

Mute? Who the heck ever uses mute?
Great feature if you're a mime, I guess.