View Full Version : E61: The dreaded "opening" screen crash...

quanta
20-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Does anybody else have the problem of their E61 locking up when the "opening" screen appears? I get it whenever it comes on the screen, which is particularly annoying since I can't add any attachments to emails without the phone stopping. The only way I can get out of it is by double clicking the power button off on the phone to switch off. If I hit other keys it goes into full lockup requiring a battery in-out to clear the crash.

I expect that I am just going to have to clear off everything, but before I did I thought I would see if anybody ran into the same problem.

Stacks of apps installed at this early testing phase, so I don't know where to begin...

19-04-06
RM-89

all of the default nokia bundled stuff inc. worldmate
SExplorer
Y_Browser
Mobiexplorer
Mobireader
QReader
Adobe PDF lite
Concise Oxford
CIA Factbook
Mail for Exchange
BetaAgileMessenger
Podcasting
HotSpotFinder
Opera
MiniOpera
AquaCalendar
Handy Expense
Handy Safe
Best Crypto
Best Taskman
f-secure antivirus
calcium
autolock
zodiac match
smartcom GPS

thanx

johnnywcw
20-07-2006, 08:16 AM
mine crash about 4 times... in 2 months

elp
20-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Does anybody else have the problem of their E61 locking up when the "opening" screen appears? I get it whenever it comes on the screen, which is particularly annoying since I can't add any attachments to emails without the phone stopping. The only way I can get out of it is by double clicking the power button off on the phone to switch off. If I hit other keys it goes into full lockup requiring a battery in-out to clear the crash.

I expect that I am just going to have to clear off everything, but before I did I thought I would see if anybody ran into the same problem.

Stacks of apps installed at this early testing phase, so I don't know where to begin...
thanx

I would start by removing the anitvirus. This is completely useless especially for 3rd edition phones such as the E61 and is only going to slow down your phone and be a source of bugs. Also, try removing the autolock. Although i don't see why it could cause this problem, it has been a source of several problems in the past so it might be a good idea to see if that improves things.

quanta
20-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks elp, killed those apps but it's still locking on the "opening" screen. Good suggestions to remove those anyway, as I think the nokia software makes autolock V1.0 redundant. cheers

desaubin
20-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I would start by removing the anitvirus. This is completely useless especially for 3rd edition phones such as the E61.
Could you comment this?

elp
20-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Could you comment this?

Viruses on symbian are yet to be seen.

Unlike a Windows PC, programs on symbian can not execute before the have been installed by the user and cannot be installed in "silent" mode. So before a virus could do anything, the user would first need to explicitely allow the program to install and validate several security warnings. Once the virus is installed, it still wouldn't be able to do anything such as accessing other programs files, acessing bluetooth or the web without the user explicitely allowing the program to do so. On top of all that, on S60 3rd edition, all programs must be signed before they can be installed. Developers can self sign there own programs but if they do so, the program will have very limited access to your phone and, for example, won't be allowed to delete files it does not own or do any nasty stuff.

One very common bug used by viruses in the Windows world to execute themselves is buffer overflows usually caused by lasy developers who didn't check that a caracter string fitted in the amount of memory they had allocated for it. On symbian, these kind of problems are very unlikely to happen since Symbian uses special caracter string objects called descriptors which do bound checking and panic if a given caracter string is too large to fit in their memory.

For a more detailled article about the symbian virus hoax, see here: http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruses.htm

Of course, if you install dodgy software downloaded from "various" web sites or P2P software, they'll be able to do nasty stuff to your device since you will explicitely allow them to do so. But these are not viruses (they don't spred themselves automatically), they are malwares. And the only efficient method to protect oneself against malwares is quite simply to use one's brain. Anti-viruses won't be able to do much against malwares and unfortunately are not yet clever enough to protect users from their own stupidity.

quanta
20-07-2006, 10:41 PM
I have found that there is a workaround to the problem by choosing to send not an image or a sound file but rather the last option, i.e., "other files". Likewise the opening screen bug interrupts me from adding an image to a contact, and this can be worked around by opening the image first then adding it to the contact (or email).
Of course this is far from acceptable and I have to get to the root prob, be it apps or phone. Users like johnnywcw who experience crashes could help just by letting me know if their crash is caused by this specific "opening" screen problem or not... so I can know if others are experiencing the same prob. or whether it is just an eccentricity of my E61. Thanks.
PS Elp-interesting post, thank you.

quanta
21-07-2006, 02:46 AM
I think I found the problem, tho it's a bit weird. Y-Browser hung when visiting e:\podcasts\video (or something close to that). So I went into it with SExplorer and it showed an mp4 download that I am sure didn't make it. I deleted the whole directory from the root and bingo--the opening screen problem disappeared. Mind you I also deleted about 2/3rds of my apps and all my themes off the phone in order to find that the problem was not due to them. Annoying but finally satisfying.
So maybe the combo of the two system browsers are a good detection device, if you have dodgy files in the phone that are causing at least this one instance of a strange crash. Makes sense when you think about it: a program (like mail) goes to open the memory card to find what files (eg images) are on it, and doesn't quite make it there 'cause of the partial file. Mind you this is something Symbian should be able to address without all of the user grief.