View Full Version : E61 chinese support?

epanda
01-07-2006, 05:40 PM
hi all i'm new to the forum...

just wondering if anyone knows anything about installing traditional chinese support and input method to a E61 (UK model)?

thanks in advance.

auriga
03-07-2006, 04:19 AM
There is a firmware version with the Chinese support. Where are you located? In Hong Kong there are a lot of places where someone can install you the firmware with chinese support. As long as I know in other countries, only a Nokia service center can install for you the desired language.

I am running an E61 with Chinese support, but I bought it with it installed already.

I don't know if there is someway to take my firmware and put it somewhere in order you can install it.

epanda
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
auriga thanks for replying.. i didn't actually expect anyone to answer me...

mainly because i've tried to contact Nokia TW (i'm based in Taiwan) and i've had no luck. they said the model won't be released until september here.

i have thought about heading to HK and try my luck there because i saw some HK vendors selling e61 already (with chinese support).

quick question though, what input methods do you have for the chinese model?

i'm hoping to use PHONETICS... pretty much only found on traditional chinese speakers. i know in HK they use something else, stroke input or something.

but whatever, really, at this point, any input method would be a blessing.

anyway thanks so much for confirming my thoughts... it'd be SUPER DUPER GREAT if somehow there's a way to install mine with your firmware.... :frown:

auriga
05-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Your welcome epanda.

If you can make a trip to HK to buy it, I suggest you to do it, because it would be much cheaper than in Taiwan. Of course the flight ticket it's more expensive than what you would save, but... I bought it in HK last week, and the vendor (a small shop) told me he has 50 units in stock, so Ithink there is no problem about shortage of e61s.

As I understand, you already have the phone with you, isn't it? I think you will have a problem with the keypad, because the UK model and the Chinese model haven't the same keypad. It happened to me that I bought the france/spanish version with chinese support, and in the train, while starting playing with the unit, nothing were at its place (commas, @, double point, dollar symbol...) so I headed to the dealer again and changed the unit for another one with chinese keypad. (I chose the first one because the france/spanish version says made in finland on the rear, while the Chinese version only says made by nokia). According to some people I know, Nokia is not manufacturing yet the E61 in China, so I don't know where it comes my unit. It will be very nice that Nokia adds writing for several languages in the Chinese version. I can only chose between Chinese and English, but I ned to write in four languages.

For the input method, I use pinyin or mandarin phonetics. As long as I know, there is no stroke input with my firmware, despite there are the strokes in the keys.

I will try to find how to get the firmware of my phone, but in this forum there are a lot of questions and little solutions. Try my-symbian.com in the future.

epanda
06-07-2006, 03:13 AM
thanks auriga -

yes you are right - i do have the phone already. i purchased it from new york and it was the cheapest i could find in US (i compared a few), and it was before i realized that HK has them in stock already... shucks! :frown:

well, the phone works great... albeit the lack of language support in chinese. nevertheless, i came across this store here in TW that claims to be able to "flash" the system to the chinese version, for a fee (approx. 40 US, incl. shipping). it's not too bad, considering that it's about a 10th of my cost of the machine, and i need the language support badly.

however i will do a bit more research, as you advised.

another solution is wait till later this month when a friend of mine would be visiting HK - do you have the contact info of the vendor that you bought from? i could probably have my friend drop by and see if there's somethign they could do about my phone. i am a little unsure if they'd install chinese support on my phone, let alone change the keyboard. but i figure it'd be worth a shot anyway.

re: input method... i have a feeling that i would run into the same problem you had. the funny thing is i noticed that there are clearly two types of keyboards as well for E61, easiest way to spot is the key on the bottom right hand corner.

on the box my e61 arrives in... the picture shows key as "Chr", but mine's the "Car". lol nearly confused me to death first time i saw it.. but it looks like there are these two keyboards around on the market now.

is yours "Car" or "Chr"?

many thanks for your reply again - if you do figure out re: chinese firmware, please let me know thanks (epanda928@hotmail.com).

mgoodson45
06-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Even if you managed to flash the firmware with chinese one, you don't have the keypad with chinese version, thus you can read but can't type chinese.

location of symbols may be different too... so it'll create problems for you

auriga
07-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Even if you managed to flash the firmware with chinese one, you don't have the keypad with chinese version, thus you can read but can't type chinese.

location of symbols may be different too... so it'll create problems for you

In fact, there is no problem with the keyboard, can type and can read. Because it is a QWERTY keypad. The only problem is the location of the symbols.

epanda
07-07-2006, 06:18 AM
yeah pretty sure mine's the Finnish keyboard... don't know what that's doing in a box that shows model with US keyboard..?? :con?

i'm not too worried about the keyboard either. i'm sure there are some ways i can figure out how to input chinese characters. being able to merely READ chinese on my model would already be a blessing, at this point. anything more is just icing on the cake.

i'm sending my phone to a vendor to install chinese support this weekend... i suspect they are sending it to HK, said it takes about a week. i'll report back on the result later.

thanks for all the input, guys!

auriga
07-07-2006, 06:24 AM
thanks auriga -

yes you are right - i do have the phone already. i purchased it from new york and it was the cheapest i could find in US (i compared a few), and it was before i realized that HK has them in stock already... shucks! :frown:

well, the phone works great... albeit the lack of language support in chinese. nevertheless, i came across this store here in TW that claims to be able to "flash" the system to the chinese version, for a fee (approx. 40 US, incl. shipping). it's not too bad, considering that it's about a 10th of my cost of the machine, and i need the language support badly.

I think in HK will more or less the same. I paid 40 USD to unlock a SIM of and old phone in HK

however i will do a bit more research, as you advised.

another solution is wait till later this month when a friend of mine would be visiting HK - do you have the contact info of the vendor that you bought from? i could probably have my friend drop by and see if there's somethign they could do about my phone. i am a little unsure if they'd install chinese support on my phone, let alone change the keyboard. but i figure it'd be worth a shot anyway.

I am looking for his name card, but I am not able to find it. If I find it, I will email to you the name. Anyway, he can go to the mobile phone market in Mongkok. There are a lot of vendors there that can replace the firmware, nevertheless, it is better you contact them before sending the mobile phone.

re: input method... i have a feeling that i would run into the same problem you had. the funny thing is i noticed that there are clearly two types of keyboards as well for E61, easiest way to spot is the key on the bottom right hand corner.

on the box my e61 arrives in... the picture shows key as "Chr", but mine's the "Car". lol nearly confused me to death first time i saw it.. but it looks like there are these two keyboards around on the market now.

is yours "Car" or "Chr"?

Mine is Chr, with the chinese symbol "medium" "中" on it also. In the letters Q,W,E,A and S there are the strokes for the stroke input, but my mobile phone cannot input with strokes. Maybe with future firmwares... Because as long as I know, there is no official launch in HK of the E61, despite it is on sell. But not on Fortress or GOME. (They hadn't one week ago).

many thanks for your reply again - if you do figure out re: chinese firmware, please let me know thanks (epanda928@hotmail.com).

I found another problem. Cannot display chinese characters when I get an email from Gmail with POP3, despite I can read chinese characters both in SMS and in the web navigator. I will try to find if I can change the encoding inside Gmail. I haven't tryed with another account yet, as my exchange account is too far away to make a syncro (it happens in my laptop also). I mean, very long ping.

auriga
07-07-2006, 06:33 AM
This is driving me crazy, can display the subject into Chinese, but cannot display the body...

I've tryed with another account from another service provider. Exactly the same problem. It seems to be a bug here.

epanda
21-07-2006, 04:55 AM
hey just to update my progress here -

after some digging around, finally across a way to flash e61, and i did a successful run yesterday, turning my phone into eng/chinese enabled.

this is the thread - http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=7397241&postcount=25

check it out and hopefully it helps.

my only gripe at the moment is that as some of you know, chinese characters come into two kinds: simplified (used in china) and traditional (used mainly in HK and TW). i need traditional but got the simplified one instead; problem is that there are too many variants at the moment and it's not possible to tell which yet for sure is what language. rumor has it that the author of the thread is composing a master list by trying out all the variants that can be found, but i can't find anything yet.

anyway the variant i flashed was APAC-R SILVER SG.... this gives your eng/simplified chinese support.

i will keep testing.

Rostei1331
07-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi, Epanda, well i tried today to flash my E61 and also my N95 to add chinese language support so finally i can use the excellent chinese english dictionary, supplied by Nokia in China but it was not possible, the official Nokia Service in Germany was not able to do it, they do not have the appropriate Firmware, if somebody could help me i would apresciate it very much!