View Full Version : tomtom mobile?

mtlman
20-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey

Does any tomtom version work in the new symbian? tomtom.com only mentions n70-90 but has anyone tried with e70?

albalonga
20-06-2006, 07:55 AM
at the moment no navigation software :mad:

mtlman
20-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I was afraid so :( Keep me posted if anything comes up! =)

bodstrup
21-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Wayfinder is on the memory card that came with my E61, and it does work . I did not have sound, but I did not investigate this. Perhaps the language file was not included, Wayfinder is a two part install on my N70.

Regards, Michael

mtlman
22-06-2006, 05:30 AM
there is info on the nivicore.com that they are making a version for the 3rd.ed.

riannn
23-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Do we need an external GPS for this?

en_croute
23-06-2006, 02:53 PM
I've just bought an E70 from Germany, and it seems to have a navigation program pre-loaded. My in car Bluetooth GPS set needs an update, as it's knackered, but I'll try to get it working and see what it does.

mtlman
26-06-2006, 09:41 AM
smartcom has a navigator for s60 3rd.ed.
http://www.wild-mobile.com/eng/download.php

martin999
27-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Having bought the E61 specifically for SatNav, rushed out and bought a BT GPS receiver and 1Gb MiniSD card, only to find that no one did and navigation software for S60 ver 3!

Since then I have been on the lookout for navigation software.

The first one I tried was Nav4All (www.nav4all.co.uk). Even though it said that it wasn’t compatible with the E61 I had read other forum users saying that it was. It installed a treat and seemed to work well. It is free at the moment, but even when it goes to subscription they say that it will only be a couple of Euros per month. The disadvantages were:

1) It uses GPRS to download all of its route / map data. If found that that it was very economical with data so I didn’t spend very much on download charges.
2) Even though it is meant to be able to search UK post codes, I could never get it to search using them.
3) You have to use the number keys to enter the addresses, this can be tedious on the E61 as you have to remember what number keys correspond to the letters. I’m sure the E61 version when released will use the full keyboard.
4) The navigation is with voice guidance and pictorial directions (not a map). This is OK most of the time, but I found that large junctions (especially in London) it can be confusing. For example I was prompted to ‘keep right’ with a right turn arrow on the display, but the junction had a choice of two right turns. Naturally I took the ‘wrong’ right and it had to do a hasty recalculation to get me back on track!
5) I tried it once in Liverpool but there was no map data available to download so out came the road atlas!
6) As far as I am aware, there is no speed camera warning capabilities.

Since then others have followed suit and the following are now available for the S60 ver 3:

Route 66 (www.66.com) EUR 99 for UK maps. It has a free traffic information service (data download charges from your provider apply) but I decided not to try this as it doesn’t look like it has any speed camera warning functionality and it can’t search using the full 7 digit UK post codes.

Wayfinder (www.wayfinder.com) EUR 99 for UK. The maps are updated free but it works the same as Nav4All buy downloading map data via GPRS. The traffic info subscription is also chargeable after the first month. I didn’t see this as very good value for money as you need to pay for the software and then get hit by your provider for all of the data download during navigation.

Navicore (www.navicoretech.com) EUR 149 for UK and Ireland. Albeit the most expensive I decided to buy this one. It seems to have all that I want, the maps are stored on the phone, there is a free traffic information service for dynamic routing and free updates to the speed camera database. Searching for addresses is by any means possible including full UK 7 digit post code.

So far it seems to work really well. If you don’t enter a route it will simply display your position on a rolling map (2D or 3D) and warns you when you approach speed cameras. The route calculation is quick and the maps allow you to figure out what exit to take at complicated junctions. The only (very small) complaint is that the voice warning for junctions is 200 yards. Nav4All gives 400 metres and 200 metres warning which gives you a little more time if you find yourself in the wrong lane approaching a large junction.

Martin.

nj7
27-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Do we need an external GPS for this?
Yes! But tomtom cames with an bluetooth antenna.