View Full Version : i cant' live without google..

amadeus
19-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Hello,

Ever since I got my e61, I have been quite busy, trying to get it to work perfectly off course.

I ran into a new problem. I'm using my phone as a modem for my laptop to surf the web, I think shortly after installing or using Profimail, I can no longer access google.com or gmail.com from my laptop. I know it work at one point when I first got the phone and hadn't setup anything. I have gmail and profimail on the phone and it seems to be working and I can also hit google and gmail.com on my phone, but not with the laptop..I am using Outlook client on my laptop, which i don't think makes any different.

what do I do now, i can't live without google. do i need to remove gmail from my phone? could it be the problem or am i just missing an pertinent setting somewhere on the phone itself..

thanks..

A

N/A
19-06-2006, 07:34 AM
GMail settings on the phone have no bearing on why your PC can or can't get to specific web sites through your phone (or otherwise).

amadeus
19-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes, I didn't think so, this is why i'm a bit confused.

it found the website, and it waits to load, but it never load..In the past i would use my sim card from my phone with my pcmcia air card. but now looks like I still have to swap the sim back and forth..arghhh..

thanks..

Amadeus

Rafe
19-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't think has anything to do with the phone. Its more likely either your provider or the computer itself. The phone is only acting as a modem.

krisse
19-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Are you saying that when you open your laptop's browser and type in "google.com", nothing comes up? Do other websites like yahoo.com work?

amadeus
20-06-2006, 03:14 AM
that's exactly what I'm saying..

Every other site works fine except for google.com and gmail.com. My Outlook client even show there are 3 new emails, but it just stop it just stop while trying to retrieve right after 1.36kbs, and it would just stay like that until it times out.

but if I use the laptop with pc card without going through the phone, it works just fine, this is how I have always use it.

I figure since I have a phone that have an EDGE modem built in, why not use it instead of transferring the sim card back and forth between phone and laptop..

Its really not too big of a hassle, just a nusance..

thanks..

-a

krisse
20-06-2006, 09:46 AM
that's exactly what I'm saying..

Every other site works fine except for google.com and gmail.com.

That is EXTREMELY bizarre behaviour. A technical fault on your PC might cause you to lose access to all websites or certain types of websites, but there's no way that it would just by chance block sites belonging to one particular company.

It sounds like you or someone else has accidentally or deliberately put some kind of block on accessing Google-related sites. Technical errors wouldn't cause something like this.

amadeus
21-06-2006, 07:09 AM
bizaare indeed...I'm so curious that i'm going to install the Nokia suite and try to run it from my desktop, then will see what happends..

-Amadeus

mjlaris
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I have an E60 and have a similar problem. I cannot access either google.com or gmail.com but I tracked down the problem to a new Linksys Wireless-N router that I just got. When I'm connected to this router via an Ethernet cable I can get to the google sites without difficulty but when I try to connect to any of the google sites wirelessly, it tries and tries but never loads the page. I first noticed this on my E60 when I connected wirelessly through the Wireless-N router but it is the same from my PC and PDA when I try to connect wirelessly. I do not understand why but I even troubleshoot the problem with Linksys Tech Support and they said it was the router and sent me a new one; the new router does the same thing.

Mark

ventmore
04-07-2006, 04:49 AM
A quick google suggests that it if you're connected with PPPoE, then you may have to drop the MTU value in your router settings to 1492.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t36938-linksys-router-blocking-some-sites.html

http://www.netheaven.com/pmtu.html

Don't know if it'll be of any help, but worth a try I guess :)