View Full Version : Wi-fi router compatibility?

krisse
13-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm about to get a wi-fi router that I can use my E61 with. Are there any compatibility issues I should look out for?

(I'm totally new to wi-fi as you can probably tell, there's not much point in having it in a small-ish flat!)

Rafe
13-06-2006, 06:12 PM
No not really. The only thing to be aware of is some people had issues with using encryption (WEP I think), but this was easy enough to fix by using no security or using WPA. Having said that lots of people (presumably the majority) have had no isses using WEP.

You should be able to get a decent router for around £35. Linksys and Netgear are both reasonable brands.

krisse
13-06-2006, 11:12 PM
No not really. The only thing to be aware of is some people had issues with using encryption (WEP I think), but this was easy enough to fix by using no security or using WPA.

Erm... isn't it a good idea to have some security of some kind? :con?

Rafe
13-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Depends where you live, but yes it can be a good idea, though it depends how you set up your network. It is possible to have an open ap, and stil be secure in the sense people can't get into your computer (they can use your internet connection).

For most people using the default security set up (one of them) is more than enough.

If you only neighbours are sheep you can probably leave the ap open.

Rafe
13-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Depends where you live, but yes it can be a good idea, though it depends how you set up your network. It is possible to have an open ap, and stil be secure in the sense people can't get into your computer (they can use your internet connection).

For most people using the default security set up (one of them) is more than enough.

If you only neighbours are sheep you can probably leave the ap open.